News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Getting started on the restoration of my 41 Series 7523

Started by 1941-7523, April 20, 2011, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1941-7523

I figured it would be nice to keep an online log of what I am doing and I did not see any other 41's on the restoration blog so here it goes. I am jumping into this blog a few weeks to late as me and my son started at the beginning of April. So to catch up, we have stripped the majority of the paint off and are kinda regretting choosing such a large car.  :'(  Anyway, here is a few pics and much more to come. These pics are from when we picked up the car down in the small town of Ajo, AZ.

P.S. inspiration is greatly appreciated as this is my first major restoration and I am relatively nervous. All comments welcome.

Thank you so much,

Matthew Gardner

1941-7523

More pics

Matthew Gardner

1941-7523

More pics

Thanks,

Matthew Gardner

1941-7523

More pics. Any comments welcome.

Thanks,

Matthew Gardner

1941-7523

Now for some updated photos. Here is the progress we have made.

Thanks,

Matthew Gardner

1941-7523

More progress photos. Sorry some are a little blurry I will get some better ones after a while. Any Advice welcome.

Thanks,

Matthew Gardner

Paul Tesone

Matthew - good luck with the car . From the photos you posted , it looks to be in solid shape . LOVE the wood . Can't beat those Arizona cars . Don't regret buying a large car . When it's finished , it will look beautiful and there will be that much more car to admire . You should be able to get plenty of advice from the CLC members if you have questions . Take the time to document each step of the restoration process with photos and keep them coming . I just recently learned how to create photo files of my 37 & 47 restorations on my computer and post some of the photos on the Restoration blog . It's been fun sharing them with the members . I will look forward to seeing your progress . Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

Jon Riley #13576

Matthew & Son:

Looks like a great father and son project.  And a great (iconic) year, too.  I'm not sure what route you are going with with the restoration (authentic, modified, etc), but if you plan on having it judged by the C&LC, I suggest ordering the authenticity manual for 1941 (Class 11).   

https://cadillaclasalleclub.org/authentication

Can't wait to see the progress.

Doug Spingelt

That is one great car.  I'll stay tuned for more. 
Doug Spingelt

A. Amman #15293

Matthew,

That is a great old Cadillac you have there!  It is a large vehicle but just focus on the end result and work in a logical and orderly sequence, taking you time, and you will succeed splendidly!  Take many pictures and make sketches of things as you go forward and upon re-assembly things will flow much more smoothly.  I speak from experience on this and fortunately, many helpful CLC brothers have helped fill in several blanks in my memory on how certain things went back together.

Looking forward to seeing you and your son continue your restoration odyssey!

Anthony Amman #15293

A. Amman #15293

Matthew,

You might want to consider using PPG (Ditzler) DPE 1202 Ferrochrome primer/sealer on your floor pan areas, inside doors, trunk etc.  it has a high zinc chromate content which prevents corrosion or rusting.  Spray can Rustoleum has a similar formula also if memory serves me.

Anthony Amman #15293

1941-7523

Well, summer in Phoenix is not a good time to do much work on the car as it is entirely to hot. :) So after summer vacationing we are back at it working hard. At this point the car is completely stripped down, the rear seat and inside sidewalls are painted and protected, and we are preparing to take the frame off this evening to be sent down and powder coated within the next week or two.

We have come across some interesting things that will pose a challenge. Apparently at one point or another someone took what appears to be a factory second spare tire well and cut it out. So I have to figure out how to round up two spare tire wells now to replace the existing ones. :( Also, I am having a difficult time rounding up a shop in Phoenix that I trust to do the paint and body work so I am getting a little concerned about having the car stripped down. Thank god for that summer heat I was complaining about no rain means no rust. :)

Anyway, any suggestions on what color powder coating should be used to get as close to the original as possible? I know the paint color is chassis black but I want to make sure it is accurate. What color code are people using? Also, any suggestions for painters in Phoenix or where I might round up the spare tire wells? Thank you all for all of the advice, suggestions, and support. I will get more pics up here soon of our progress and will keep things updated.

1941-7523

Here are some updated progress photos.

1941-7523

More pics

1941-7523

More pics of frame.

1941-7523

We sent the frame off to powder coating today and should have it back with in 3 to 5 days. Getting excited about what is to come. :)

1941-7523

Well the frame is back from powder coating and looks fantastic! :) I had the drive-line, cross member, running board brackets, and anything else that is supposed to match the frame color powder coated at the same time. Now onto the restoration of all of the parts that attach to the frame. and hopefully within a month or two having the body back where it belongs. Here are a few pictures of the progress. Thanks for looking and all feedback welcome and appreciated. :)

1941-7523

Here are a couple more.

kkarrer

That was a good decision to do a frame off.  I'm doing the same with my 41 coupe, but I don't think I'll go with the expense of powder coating the frame though it looks great.  What are you going to do with the drive line?  I'd imagine that car has a hydra-matic.  I'm changing my 41 hydra-matic for a 48.  Gene Berck at transmissions by Gene (www.restorationhydramatics.com) has my 41 core just about done and needs just a few parts, perhaps from your old one to finish it.  He does great work and has the tools and experience to do a complete job.  If you decide on a 46-48 that's a good switch too.  Here's a site listed in Hemmings not long ago for some suppliers that you may find helpful.  Some are in your area...www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php?topic=5742.0;wap2
Ken Karrer 512-626-7268  kkarrer@austin.rr.com

CRAIG LEWIS

Great looking car, You got lucky with a great interrior plenty to make patterns from, be sure you preserve it as best you can for the upholserer to work from. I can definately relate to the weather here, 100+ for the past 3 onths sure slows down the progress. Glad to see this is a father son project. It something your boy will always look back on. I passed through Ajo quite a bit never saw it. Had I I would hve snagged it right away, good score. I think you will find that with these things you start hoping to get by with the minimum and real quickly it just takes on it's own life and next thing you know your looking at a stripped frame and a million parts. Don't sweat it, it can seem overwhelming but as long as you document well and think it through it will come together nicely. I have found the members here to be more than helpfull and unbelievably knowledgeable. Keep posting and have fun.     Craig