News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 Eldorado Restoration

Started by Davidinhartford, August 29, 2011, 07:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidinhartford

Removed due to Admin censorship.

Chris Conklin

Beautiful car! Congratulations!!
Chris Conklin

Aaron Hudacky

1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

76eldo

WOW!  Beautiful!

Such a beautifully styled car!

I have to get a 67-70 Eldo someday.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Carl Glass

Beautiful car!  Is there anything you have to do to it?  Search my posts for 68 Eldo.

Carl
Carl Glass
'68 Eldorado, cruise control, climate control, am/fm stereo, tilt/tele, 6-way bench, and vinyl roof.  Would love to add the twilight sentinel, guide-matic, power door locks, right hand mirror, headrests, and floor mats.  And how about leather buckets?  Oh, and pull the vinyl top.

R Schroeder

This one is for sale near me. 1969.  White interior. E-mail me if interested. Not my car. $6,995.00
Roy

dadscad

For my 63cdv, I just bought some Hankook Optimo H724 white wall tires. The car handles and rides well with them. They are much quieter, as far as road noise, than the GoodYear Regatta's I removed.

That's a good looking Eldorado!

Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Carl Glass

David

Could you post a picture(s) of the mounting bracket location for the Guidematic eye?  It should be a device smaller than your fist, mounted behind the upper grill, driver's side I believe, on the front of the radiator support.  It will have an orange lens on the front.

Thx

Carl
Carl Glass
'68 Eldorado, cruise control, climate control, am/fm stereo, tilt/tele, 6-way bench, and vinyl roof.  Would love to add the twilight sentinel, guide-matic, power door locks, right hand mirror, headrests, and floor mats.  And how about leather buckets?  Oh, and pull the vinyl top.

Aaron Hudacky

David,

Cooper made a 235/75 R 15 called a Trendsetter as of early 2009 and I wouldn't be surprised if it is still in produuction.  It has a narrow white wall and they are ok, although after about 5 years the belts start to break down.  They are very affordable though.  When the tires are replaced be sure the correct valve stems are used.  They have a metal elbow, and often the hubcaps will mar the area where the rubber meets the metal resulting in a leak.  I have a flat because of that right now.  I haven't used other tires on my Eldorado or other Cadillacs for some time, so I can't tell you how they compare as far as road noise.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

INTMD8

Congrats! Very nice ride, I love the front end styling on these.

Carl Glass

Of the 67-70 Eldorados this is my favorite since it is the only year with the hidden headlamps AND the concealed wipers.  Although I slightly prefer the turn signals in the bumper from the 67 since the front fender extensions appear cleaner that way.  Also 68 had the rear quarter lamps.
Carl Glass

dadscad

I'm sorry I don't have a current picture of the car with this tire on it.  If a description helps, there is a 1" band of black between the rim and the inside edge of the the white  stripe. The white stripe is 5/8" wide. The look and white stripe is very similar to the GoodYear Regatta. The Regatta put the white stripe closer to the rim than Hankook, I think I like the look of the Hankook white stripe over the Regatta. I attached a picture of the car with the GY Regatta to give you a rough idea of how the tire looks.

David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Carl Glass

wow, awesome!  even better pictures than i had hoped for.  i have the eye for my car, but no bracket, so your pics will help me fabricate one.

thx

Carl
Carl Glass

Carl Glass

i have the part, just not the bracket.

thx

carl
Carl Glass

76eldo

I have Diamondback's on my 60 and they ride very nicely.  Coopers will be noisy on your car. 

I would look at the sales brochures for 68 to get some ideas and stick with name brand tires.

See what Coker has.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

R Schroeder

I bought Hankook tires for my car. 80,000 mile warranty and less than half the money of other tires . 450.00 for the set, mounted and balanced. The white wall is a little smaller than the originals , but I like them. Ride is real nice.
Roy

dadscad

David,

I took a picture of the Hankook tire this afternoon. Please excuse the dust, I need to scrub them.

HTH,
David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Rich S

Gorgeous car--nothing beats looking out over the crisply sculpted hood of an Eldorado! On my '71 Eldorado I've got the Broadway Shadow tires and they're made by Goodyear. A quick search turned up the following link:

http://www.onlinetiredealer.com/specialty/brdwy.asp

The cost was very reasonable, and I've been pleased with the ride and the look.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Glen

I think the only year the side moldings was available from the factory on the Eldos was 1970.  It was an all chrome(Stainless?) set.   IE no rubber inserts.  I put the after market side moldings on my car because with that crease sticking out there everybody the parks next to you chips the paint with their door.  So you have a choice on a daily driver, side moldings or chipped doors. 

The bracket for the Guide Matic is nearly identical for a number of years.  I think I got one off a 71+ Eldo and it bolted right up.  But it is a useless option on today’s roads.  All the signs on the side of the road trigger it, and around here we have reflectors on the lane dividers that also trigger it.  It never goes to high beam. Still a cool option.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Aaron Hudacky

The 70 Eldorado side moldings have vinyl inserts matching the color of the vinyl top or black inserts for cars with a painted roof according to the 1970 Cadillac data book. My 70 has the moldings although they don't match the top as they should. The rubber is molded in white instead of brown. They are the original design, but I'm not sure if or when they were changed. They are thinner than those on David's 68 and do not extend to the rear quarter panels.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI