News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 DeVille Convertible resto

Started by Chuck Swanson, September 29, 2011, 10:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Swanson

Ralph thanks for the reminder tip.  That is the plan, similar to the Jan 3rd pic above with fenders.   Checking into using our friends booth too :)  Thanks!  Chuck 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Yesss! :)  Finally got some blue on the car ;)  My good friend Vince really did a great job tonight with the basecoat/clear coat.  Under trunk lid and inside fender ends complete. 

One pic is just the Diamont basecoat blue-1966 code 24, and the next is with clear coat.

I will tape up tomorrow and put rest of parts to paint in my storage, so no updates for a while.  Convertible top on order, and once arrives will bring car down to upholstery shop before painting.  Also want to do rear springs now, and rear arms before paint, so will be a couple months before final paint on rest of car.

Thanks! Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

DeVille68

Hi Chuck

You are really making progress!
Regarding adhesive: Never heard from this company. But I used a kind of similar product.
So you just jammed the adhesive between the two metal pieces?
I had a hard time to reach the inner regions and to build up a large enough pile...

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Chuck Swanson

Here is the link to product:

http://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/adhesives/fusor-110b111b-metal-bonding-adhesive-(fast)

"GM: Panel bonding per GM aftermarket spec GM6449G
Applications: Panel bonding and weld bonding of quarter panels, rear body panels, roof panels, door skins, van side panels and outer truck bed panels"

Also on eBay, but I got from local body shop supply:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lord-Fusor-Metal-Bonding-Adhesive-110B-Fast-/271199222746

I did not go crazy with it.  I just used a glove and with my finger, went around old adhesive circles in between the panels, but only where I could reach.  I only removed the hard adhesive that went through the small 1/8" or so hole, probably when smushed together at factory (1/2 were already gone anyway).  I then put the end of the fusor gun in the hole and put maybe a 1/2 golfball or less in the hole, making sure not to "push" the panels apart.

Again in hindsight I should have done before any body work.  If I do again, I would also apply fusor, then flip hood so it sits in normal position on car, which would let any extra fusor "drip" out an maybe minimize ripples.  Sucked that I had to redo bodywork again after I applied, as hood was perfect before (fusor application cause some ripples on top), but happy it's done as the hood is now SOLID!!! :)

Thanks, Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Chuck,

Do you have an explanation for the ripples in the hood being caused by the panel bond adhesive? Is the adhesive known to expand after it’s cured? Where the ripples only in areas where the adhesive was applied?
I ask because the hood on my Eldorado. â€" completely finished - sounds like a tambourine. I was going to use seam sealer or panel adhesive but I’m now looking for plan “B”.

I did have an awful time with my black Brougham. The passenger side of the hood showed long front to back waves. They were not there after wet sanding the primer but showed up after final buffing when viewed at a certain shallow angle. We stripped the hood and repainted it, same thing. We stripped it again and this time I wet sanded it to 2000 grit with a long board. The high spots came out like chrome and looked like wave fronts on the ocean. The metal also appeared to have a different grain pattern in this area. We solved the problem with multiple coats of high build primer and light pressure block sanding to prevent panel deflection. The painter never saw anything like this before. I could only conclude it was a metallurgical defect in the sheet stock or some anomaly in the stamping process….Drove us crazy.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Chuck Swanson

Ralph, here is what my friend Vince an I were thinking.  I am fairly new to bodywork, with only a few years of doing, but my friend Vince has being doing as a hobby for over 30 yrs. 

Since the hood was upside down, and some of the top hood panel sealant was missing on 1/2 of the holes, it must have been in an unnatural, warped like position when upside down on the stands.  Before we flipped over, it was straight after all of the bodywork.  However, we had to be real careful block sanding the building primer as the hood was "flopping" all over the place.  We didn't need much filler, but it took a couple of nights before finally getting straight. 

I used the fusor in a few other small spots on car and it didn't expand.  I hypothesize that the fuser just stuck the hood panels together in the unnatural position when flipped.  We also could have left the hood in the normal position, and then crawled under the stand in hindsight, as that may have worked too (and kept our bodywork straight). 

For other doing, I would do this way *before* doing any body work.  (normal position, crawl under and seal)

It was a mixed blessing as once we put filler on the 3 spots that had issues (probably each the diameter of a basketball, the hood was much more rigid when block sanding.  It is unbelievably firm now, similar to the trunk lid.  The way it happened is we were prepping the bottom for paint, and my friend Vince started taking off the brittle sealant.  I said what are you doing....then we brainstormed might as well seal it all as that should solve the flapping of the hood.  We slept on the idea and decided to do the next day.  Some other bodywork friend used a more pliable sealant, but the body shop I went to said try the fusor, along with me searching the Internet to see if others have used and I found one other on an Eastwood forum that used a similar product :)  So we went for it!

All of my other Caddy's have been very loud when closing, as the top metal hits the bottom (tambourine) :), but I hope this one is nice and solid.  After another coat of building primer, it looks fine. 

My friend Vince said had never seen a car with the rippling like that either.

Chuck

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

2018 GMC Yukon

blugg

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on January 15, 2016, 11:44:15 AM
Chuck,

You probably know this already, but for those who may not, be certain to hang the parts in the orientation they are installed on the vehicle ie: the fenders hanging on a horse, doors vertically and deck lid horizontally. This allows the metallic particles to settle in the same manner. Not doing this may result in a different metallic appearance from panel to panel.

Beautiful job and a great color choice.

How true this can be for metallics.    As difficult as it can be spraying all the panels at the same time an the same paint "batch" removes some mis-matched laying of the metallic an color tone risk.   silver an blue metallics being the hardest to match otherwise.

Chuck Swanson

Thanks for the comments Jeff! 

Scored some NOS bumper ends this week.  These are awesome :) :)

Already have a mint re-chromed center, so just need the small tops on these re-chromed.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Package on the way to YNZ tomorrow!  http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com Getting new wiring for entire car, not just the ones in repro (which YNZ sells from the two main manufacturers).  Took a while to gather all together, even though all labeled.  Grabbed some better condition harnesses from my parts car.   I also reattached all the wiring together to make it easier when they receive, along with labeling everything.  Chuck

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Seat belts out for resto.  Went with Python restoration this time (last set was Ssnake Oyl).  SOyl did a nice job last time, but color match was not perfect.

Figured I  try Python :) 

Ordered rest of parts from Hydroe for top. Top motor, cylinders, weather-stripping, etc, new...around $1200 w/ CLC discount.
A few items from topsdown. 

Ordered new dash pad from OPGI.   Dash was $680.  Although I have a mint original one, I want the used one in my '65 Eldo, which is the same color pad (that car is on the road as a driver).  I also heard OPGI retooled them recently. 

I need to gather some small chrome parts for re-chroming.  Also still  need the rear center bumper re-chromed. 
Less than $1.5K in parts left on list to buy...so getting close finally. I'm sure I may have missed some items :)
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

As mentioned in earlier post, it would be a couple months for an update.  Another coat of DP 26 blocking primer on car and I wet sanded it all again :)   Painting of car finally started!!  Jambs done, and hung the doors and fenders back on car.  Getting ready to put the trunk lid and hood in plance so my friend Bill (painter of final coat) will do all at once with all the parts/panels the way they will hang.  Took the lower rearvalance piece out of booth.  (Painting in heated paint booth at my friend Bill's body shop.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

A nice long high pressure hot wash in booth...heat dry overnight, rest of parts in place, and ready to go!  Covered trunk and inside with plastic to keep any dust down.  Final PRE and tack rag done.  Bill looking to paint later as it's all ready :)
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

2018 GMC Yukon

Chuck Swanson

Thanks Ralph!  Here's a few pics from the paint booth.  I didn't want to walk in again and get pics...will do when dry :)  Took the hood out of booth for final clear coats to get inside top of fenders in heated booth.
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

savemy67

Hello Chuck,

I feel like you should hand out cigars when this project is complete!  Great job.  Keep up the good work.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: DeVille68 on March 23, 2016, 05:19:51 PM
nice!  8)

Great garage you have!

Thanks all!  (These pics in my friend Bill's garage)

Here's one out of booth...wet sanding started

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Around 4 coats of base, then around 7 coats of clear.  Razor to any minor imperfections, then wet sanding earlier today, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000.  Back in booth for more coats of clear :)  That is water dripping off trunk lid as we use  a high pressure gun to constantly clean while sanding...well Bill did most of it ;) 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

blugg

monumental doing!!   lots of wet sanding on hand....then moar clear after wet-sanding....this is how the most pristine cars look pristene!

Great color.....great hurdles lept!   Awesome job!