News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 DeVille Convertible resto

Started by Chuck Swanson, September 29, 2011, 10:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Swanson

Thanks Bruce.  Yes, I think a little off.  Not sure of the exact angle of the pipe with the flat side.  Have some pictures in the shop manual, and they give dimensions of some spacing for exhaust, but there is not much wiggle room like my Nova :)

I also need to move tailpipe over to pass side about an inch or two as tailpipe not exiting at notch, but tried everything and didn't want to force it.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looking back at the picture of the pipe from under the transmission mount back to the muffler, the tube simply is too straight.

Looks like the fabricator didn't want to add any bends for clearance.

A couple of simple, conveniently placed 5 degree bends would give heaps of clearance.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Chuck Swanson

Hard to distinguish in pic, bit that is the resonator.  That actually looks right on, as the spacing is great around the trans mount curve.   There is a 2" piece that has a flat spot across most of the pipe.  Not sure on the exact position of that pipe.  One I adjust that, should hopefully be good.  If not I will post in Tech forum with more detailed pics.

Fabricator is Classic Exhaust out of Ohio.  Thanks!  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

In between snowmobiling this winter, took the extra step of cleaning all the part that needed plating-yellow zinc dichromate :)  They came out nice...all 28 lbs.  A few I just threw in as extras/spares since sometimes the items don't all come out as nice.  Attached is a good reference for the parts that are yellow zinc dichromate for the 1965-66 authenticity manual :)  I do have the before pictures to show that these were yellow zinc dichromate before cleaning.  Many duplicates, and some already done, so pics are not all the items. 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Chuck,

The gold cad fasteners were a carry over from '65 and used on early '66 production. My Eldorado, built 3rd week of September, had them but all my other '66s have had silver cad parts. There's no specific date for the change over.  What is the build date of your car?

BTW, the parts look terrific, but any new pics of the assembled car?

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on March 08, 2018, 10:43:35 AM
Chuck,

The gold cad fasteners were a carry over from '65 and used on early '66 production. My Eldorado, built 3rd week of September, had them but all my other '66s have had silver cad parts. There's no specific date for the change over.  What is the build date of your car?

BTW, the parts look terrific, but any new pics of the assembled car?

Ralph

Thanks!, and to clarify, many of the parts in pic are parts that are that color in both years.  Agree, there are some differences, especially hood hinge area, Upper control arms...  I have found a little more "yellow" on '65s too
Yes, there are some not pictured that are not this color, but bare metal or silver.  The hardest to figure out was the linkage and gas pedal area. 
I believe this car was Summer, but will have to double check as I have a number of 65-66.  I did mask all the parts for this '66 with the same color tape, so I could keep track.  I also have before/after pics and zoomed in on the "yellow" for documentation.  I use a different color tape/marker for the '65s.  I still need to compile a list :)

Oh, a few (very few) items in pic were not "yellow", but are totally hidden like the headlight mount small screws that I just did to cleanup.

It is up on lift,-top  and have not taken any pics recently.  Once the snow melts, I will take car out on bottom and snap some more :)  Chuck

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

My original carb professionally rebuilt by Chris's Carb Shop in Dayton OH.  Tested on running engine before shipped back to me.  They did an excellent job.  I called Dayton, and they referred me to Chris for show quality carbs. Service was excellent.  Notice the different types of plating like the original.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Chuck Swanson

First time this car has been started since 1980  :)  Haven't posted in a while as I was busy working on other Caddy's, like my '65 Eldorado.  Finally running!  Here is video:  https://youtu.be/MycJUnuJmLo  After all the work, started first time, after 2 seconds.  Pic attached is from 2010,before resto started.  Still have some tweaks in engine compartment to finish show quality resto, but almost there.     Chuck. 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

James Landi

Chuck-- love these stories of "resurrections."  What was the mileage and condition of the car that attracted you, and what was necessary and did you do the wake this engine up after its long period of dormancy?  It looks and sounds perfect.  (always seems miraculous when these engines come to life without having to entirely rebuild them--- was this the case for you?)   Gratefully, James

spolij

Chuck I have a 66 convertible also. It's gold now but will soon be triple black. I had the same car in the 70s it was triple black. I abandoned it when gas was to go over a dollar a gallon. Wish I still had it no matter what gas cost. Anyway you're not alone I think it is the best looking Cadillac from 60s to the present. I'm in the middle of restoring mine got it all ripped apart except the main body off the frame can handle that. Starting to clean things up and getting ready for prep work and then paint. Good luck

Chuck Swanson

Very low mileage James, and documented history of car since original owner.  I actually contacted the 3rd owner who's old reg was in glove compartment, and he knew all history.  He is not far from me, 90 mins,  and is looking forward to seeing the car done.  No rebuild on engine, just timing chain proactively.  In hindsight, I should have started with a car in better condition.  This was only supposed to be a driver ;) 
Agree John!  Looks good :)   Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

James Landi

Bravo--- bellissimo... looks terrific...don't see any smoke, or engine issues.   The rear end looks to have a higher than average aspect--- since my first Eldo  at 67, I've always built work arounds to raise the rear beyond the normal height by still employing the air shocks and taking control of the air compressor... the two pluses, in my opinion, are a better overall  ride--- more control on turns and less apt to transfer bumps, and better visibility through the rear view mirror.  Again,  looks great --- congratulations.    James

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Chuck,

Looks beautiful. That blue is stunning. Now we need daylight pics.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Chuck Swanson

Thanks all!  Will check height once bumpers, rear seat etc...installed.  Funny James as when I replaced the springs with new Eatons, I measured the old to compare, and they were exactly the same height, but replaced anyway :)

Here is a daylight pic in my driveway with my 67 Nova (late grandfather original owner) in background that I did, full resto too :)  That one was 1000 or so hours, the Caddy a little more time than that ;)  Hard to tell in pic, but took forever to get straight body lines, prolly 300+ hours just in body work with my friend and I. 

I know you don't see all the factory markings, but I put them all back on, like the "255" on back :)  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Getting ready to install fenders.  NOS side lights and NOS fender spears.  NOS crests on side marker.  Yeah, probably won't see all the original "307" chalk, but put it back on.  Replated many of the original bolts too.  Also had speaker re-chromed, and just finished painting the flat black in between the slats. 

FYI, Car in background is not the '66, but my '65 Eldo, blue too :)
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

Finally got the fenders aligned today.  Lines look good, just like before the paint job :) 

Steps:

• Align all doors properly to quarter panel and tighten all bolts. (Tip, use Eastwood door align kit and drill 1/8 inch holes in door hinges before removal)
    Loosely install the inner fender bolts and optionally hood hinges. Do not tighten
    Loosely install the cowl
    Carefully place fender on car, tape edges.
    Install the bolt inside the door jamb first, loosely
    Make any minor adjustments to the cowl spacers if needed
    Install front side light and spear fender molding.
    Install the bottom bolt by rocker next.  Install washers, spacers under fender (I used 3 on each side)
    Pull the fender forward with helper, my son :) and get spacing correct between door and fender. 
    Slowly open door to check spacing.  Make sure fender is never sticking out more than the door, or you will chip.  When in doubt, errr on the side of caution and let the fender go in towards the car 1/32nd of an inch.  Never let the fender sick out further from the door. 
    Tighten the bottom fender bolt. 
    Tighten the top bolt by cowl, using appropriate spacers.
    Tighten the bottom bolt by wheel well
    Loosely install bolts under top of fender
    Tighten front bracket bots (4)
    Install final bolts to inner fender in wheel well area.

Check out the lines in the last pic!  Was worth the 1000 hours of body work  :) (Me, my son and friend Vince)

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

• Installed new snaps with punch after molding polished a few months ago.  This was not an easy task, as no room for error.  Installed repro clips on center piece and two on each end.  Three clips restored on sides as these are not reproduced (larger( Rear and quarter beltline molding installed last week.  Install with top halfway up. 
    Installed NOS hood spring with tool before installing on car.
    Installed hood with son and some friends.  Took a few hours as tolerance for error is very small.  Multiple blankets and cardboard.  Finally got clearance to close. 
    Installed NOS hood latch and rubber bumpers. 

Finally done with the hood and it was a bear to install, but easier with many people!  A littler nerve-racking worrying about chipping paint, but went very slow. 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck Swanson

New Coker triple white bias ply installed today on blasted and painted wheels.  Redid door channel with new flocking material.  Refreshed rubber door bumper stops on front and rear.  Also installed hood lip extension with restored rectangle nuts and bolts. 
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T