News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado coupe restoration

Started by Allen Blackmon, January 13, 2012, 09:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen Blackmon

I am attaching a photo of the drivers seat from my Eldorado that I reupholstered myself over the Christmas holidays. It was a major project, but it turned out well.

Allen
Allen Blackmon
CLC #18647

1973 Eldorado convertible
1976 Eldorado coupe

Gene Beaird

Awesome!  What's your address?  I have a cloth bench in our 68 Calais that needs to be re-stuffed!!   ;D

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Rich S

Wow!!! Your workmanship is superb! What an elegant automotive seat! I bet the rest of the car is gorgeous, too!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Aaron Hudacky

That seat looks beautiful - amazing craftsmanship!  I'm clueless about upholstery techniques and may eventually have to bug you for pointers.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

Allen Blackmon

I live an hour south of Charlotte, NC. Keep in mind that was my first attempt at auto upholstery. I took the seat apart, noted how it was assembled and used the pieces as patterns. I cut out the pieces and sewed the pieces together and attached it to the seat frame. I took my time and had to fix problems I created. I have many years of experience sewing costumes.
Allen Blackmon
CLC #18647

1976 Eldorado coupe

Davidinhartford

That looks Great Allen!   Well done!   Bravo!   

xcaret

Maybe you can help me . I have an 1978 eldorado with similar seat , I found 2 bolts on each side at the front of the drivers seat and one on each side part way back . trouble is there seems to be 2 bolts in the middle I cant find . The seat is quite loose and rocks like a teeter totter , but something is holding it in the middle. I cant move the seat as the motor spins but doesnt engage anything. I was at an autowreckers and after tearing a old worn out seat cushion off a car was able to look in ,still cant see what holds it in place. I took the seat motor and assembly out of the car ( a 1975 eldo) and although my book shows they are different I'm hoping the little thing connecting the motor output shaft to the seat trans is whats wrong ,and hope the 1975 will fit. First I need to remove this seat ,or even the cushion part ,I cant feel a nut up under the seatcushion so at this point I'm stumped.
Neil

joecaristo

Neil- I think there are 2 bolts in the front and 2 bolts in the back. The problem is you have to move the power seat up to access them. That is the catch 22. How can you move the seat if the motor just spins? I was able to get a open ended wrench in there. good luck.

Allen- Is that seat done in leather or vinyl? looks great either way!

Joe
Joe Caristo

Allen Blackmon

Joe,
The seat and backrest pleated panels are leather and the sides are vinyl. I got my leather and vinyl from SMS and they matched the color beautifully.

Allen
Allen Blackmon
CLC #18647

1976 Eldorado coupe

joecaristo

Hi,
One more question.. Did you replace the binding / welting also?
Again... it looks great!
joe
Joe Caristo

Allen Blackmon

Allen Blackmon
CLC #18647

1976 Eldorado coupe