News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Suggested WW tires for 77 Eldorado

Started by 13912, February 28, 2017, 12:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The 1977 Eldoradp Biarritz I just bought has apparently the original tires !!!  - I haven't received the car yet so I'm relying on the last owners input- & the car has been stored for a number of years without much driving. Any recommendations for period correct appropriate narrow WW tires & suggested manufacturers?
Thanks
Bob

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The correct WW width for a 1977 Eldorado should be around an inch and a half - give or take.

Correct size is P235-75-R15 which is the modern equivalent of the LR78-15 size of the original tires, which is now obsolete.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

D.Smith

1.6 inch stripe on a 235/75/15 by American Classic tires. They can be purchased through Coker Tire or Universal Vintage Tire.

A buddy just bought them for his 69 SDV.

TJ Hopland

If you are going for correct there are not many or any? choices.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/whitewall-tires/american-classic-radial-narrow-whitewall.html

This has a 1.6 white but otherwise looks like a fairly modern radial,  not sure if that is what a 77 had or not, I thought those came slightly later.  I was thinking 77 was still kinda a bias looking tire.

There are still a few others floating around especially if you go to a more rural tire shop and look at a store brand but they will be more like a 3/4" white wall.  Hankook Optimo seems to be the only one left from a big current manufacturer that a typical shop can get. 

A few more tips to save you some time:

Order some new valve stems now.   These cars use a unique stem.   Tire shops will say no problem but then get stuck because they can't find em so you want to have a new set of 5 on hand before you go to the shop.  I always get 6 so I have a spare in addition to the spare.  They are metal but have a odd rubber washer that fails with age as well as internals that seem to fail.   Napa sometimes has the correct ones but you are safest to order them from a Cadillac specialty vendor like say USA Parts.   I just looked and Coker has them so if you get tires from Coker you can get the stems from them too.  Be sure to check that they clear the brake calipers after the wheels are installed and any time they are rotated.   There isn't much clearance and you don't want a slight rub.   IF they don't clear a gentle whack with a soft hammer or block of wood will fix it.   I can tell you from experience it takes about 100 miles with a slight rub to rub through one. 

Wheel balance weights are also fairly unique.  They are called a CAX style and have a slight extension on the clip part to allow for clearance for the hubcap to grip.   Standard weights won't let you put the covers on.   Don't let someone convince you that they can just use standard weights on the inside.  99% chance that won't result in a smooth ride, these seem VERY sensitive to balance issues.   The CAX weights are hard to find these days because they were only used for a short period in the early 70's and most shops / states were more or less forced to turn in all their old lead weights so very little chance of finding a place that still has some today.    The stick on tape weights that they use on modern wheels should work but there are not a lot of good places to place them so it kinda depends on how much weight is needed and how good the tech and machine is.   

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason