News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Another Survivor, getting a make-over rather than a resto.

Started by Jeepers Creepers, April 23, 2017, 10:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Fielding

Yes , Kevin , as I was mucking around in my grey matter , I did finally remember something you wrote on the oil pump. Found it , and read that you "kitted it". The reason I ask , is that I have been talking extensively with our fellow member Kim Kaiser , who just became a plural Cadillac owner. A well maintained , single family owned since new , air conditioned (presently inop - never fear the "Kid" is here on the forum), tilt steering wheel , '63 CDV. From my long ago '63 & also 429 years , I have advised him to get a look at it , perhaps while the radiator must be out (also recommend he do pre-emptive water pump rebuild if not recently done as per the complete service records he has. Therefore , how does one get the "kit" , and any advice you and other guys who have been in the oil pump recently can give Kim , please. He has to go there in any case , as there has been slow leakage for some time. On behalf of Kim who gallantly is learning quickly , after starting with little experience , I thank you very much !   - Carl

Jeepers Creepers

Carl, Get them onto the 63/64 chapter..... the guys over there are fantastic to work with and will have many more answers than me.

I've set up an oil pressure gauge now for a true reading when we fire the ol girl up.

I've also done a temporary electric fuel pump set-up in the main line as well. Being a BRAND NEW CAMSHAFT, I want this engine to fire up on the first revolution, so this way I can prime the carb and as it fires, we can take it straight to 2,000 rpm for a specific time frame to bed the cam and lifters.

I reckon, if I get a fair run at this tomorrow, we may just get a chance to start her up tomorrow afternoon.
If its not ready, so be it, but tomorrow would be nice.

I wish I could remember how the alt and air con brackets were set up. I've got one fairly poor photo I took to go off, but i'm hoping once I get into it, it may look a tad easier than it does at the moment.  :o  :o :-[  ::)

Plenty of photos to be taken and if I remember, i'll video the start up. 
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Jeepers Creepers

We are gathered here today to see the coming of one.
In the side driveway, in the morning sunshine and in the sight of God, I ask those present to witness the joining of these two  portions of Cadillac in holy matrimony.

Do you, Miss Fleetwood 1964, take Big Block 429 to be your lawful wedded engine?
To have and to hold with your front cross member, to care and to supply gas, to accelerate sensibly when required, to use your brakes when danger appears, to cruise in Cadillac style from this day forward?

I Do.

Do you, Big Block 429, take Miss Fleetwood 1964 to be your lawful wedded body.
To have and to hold, with your warm exhaust manifolds, to never overheat and never over-rev.
To love and to cherish and to cruise in Cadillac style from this day forward?

I Do.

By the power vested in me (As long as my wife says yes) I now pronounce you a classic car.
You may now enter the bride.....

(Insert wedding music here)

The bride looking lovely in white.

The groom is a bit blurry, but it was a big bucks night the day before. He does look handsome in a tailored blue suit.

You can see the brides veil pulled back by the mirror, as the groom moves in.

A big round of applause please, groom has entered the bride and shall be at one now for the rest of time.

Australia

Jeepers Creepers

Well, at 12:08 this afternoon, we fired the 64 into life and did the first 10 minute stint of the camshaft break-in procedure. She fired on the first revolution and was on song really nice.

It will get a second 10 minute stint in the morning.

The bloody O-Ring on the crossover/water pump connection was leaking.... bugger it.

Anyway, that the Caddy done for today, as I have to go and put a gearbox in a lawn mower now.... oh, joy oh joy
Australia

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on June 17, 2017, 03:28:06 AM

PPS.   What was the oil pressure?   That is important to me.

Hi Bruce, oil pressure was solid at 35 to 37 PSI @ 2,000 RPM. (I'd hoped it would've been more around the 45 to 50 region being a rebuilt pump)

I thought this was a tad low, but once i'd started the camshaft break-in, I wasn't stopping and I felt that it was an OK pressure for the revs.
Checked on several sites and it turns out...... that's as good as it gets with a 429 Cadillac due to the pressure relieve valve.

I'm a bit dirty on myself for not checking that fact prior to start up.  :o
Australia

Carl Fielding

If I can keep this uncharacteristically short , amd post it post haste , I might just get to be the first Yank to say : CONGRATULATIONS KEVIN !!!!   - Carl

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only way to increase the oil pressure is to increase the pressure relief valve spring.

BUT, when doing that, one must be careful of the associated problems with running higher pressure, with retaining the factory bearing tolerances.

Too tight a bearing clearance combined with high oil pressure can result in spun bearings as the excess pressure wants to "grab" hold of the bearing shells because it cannot get out between the connecting rod and crankshaft because of the tighter clearances.

When rebuilding an engine the machinist needs to know all the parameters that are going to be used within the engine.   Many backyard "mechanics" have blamed the machinist for a destroyed engine, when they should have blamed themselves for over-pressurising the oiling system.

The factory spent countless hundreds of millions of dollars in designing and testing parts, yet people will think they know better, and stick in a longer spring, or add a pile of washers to gain something that "looks" good.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeepers Creepers

Hi Carl, thanks mate..... I hate to tell you, but the guys on the 63/64 forum beat ya to line.  ;D

Hi Bruce, yeah, I have no desire to dick around with the oil pump and as you say, its worked fine for the 53 years, it can still stay that way.

I'm still sitting here shaking my head...... is that the shortest reply Carl has ever posted.....LMAO.

Good on ya Carl, ya a pretty cool guy.  8)
Australia

Carl Fielding

MAN , I love the way you particular Southerners talk ! Our Southerners here have the most wonderful way of speaking. Very expressive, with such a delightful "accent". Aunt Louise is from New Orleans , and that is its own variation. She is a true Southern Belle , and I have written somewhere about her ability to charm her way to a smile from every cop who ever pulled her over. She was a leadfoot in her time. Still had a bit of it in her when I stayed with her after Hurricane Katrina. She needed remedial driving lessons , and feared her ability to evacuate by Buick in the case of another h'cane Didn't take too long to set her straight. "Aunt Louise , all ya gotta do is slow down. Age conveys certain privilege, Auntie. You will be forgiven for driving 5 or 10 under. And you will have better lane control than you do with your typical 10 over !" That is when she told me about batting 1000 against every cop who had intended to pitch her a ticket ! From the twinkle in her clear blue eyes , I could see why ! We had a great laugh !  - Carl

Jeepers Creepers

The third and final 2,000 rpm stint was done yesterday and the car got to idle for the first time. It sounds very crisp after having a timing light waved over it too.

Even having a Grandpa spec single exhaust pipe, it still sounds good out the back..... the (strong silent type) thing springs to mind.

All I have left now, is fix the water leak from the crossover pipe to water pump O-ring, put all the vacuum fittings on, throttle linkages and associated crap, run a spanner over everything as a double check, final check of the timing, refit the bonnet (Hood), give the ol girl a good wash and begin driving for a few miles.

Over all, I'm happier than a baby beaver in a toothpick factory.
Australia

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations.

Now, when you start driving it, don't baby it too much, and when warm, the engine that is, don't forget to bed the Rings in.   That is important.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Jeepers Creepers

Yeah mate, we're on it.....  ;D

Might get to take it for a spin this week-end if I get all the little crap bits done and dusted.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Australia

Jeepers Creepers

I've got 3 mates booked in for the refitting of the hood this Saturday...All the throttle linkages were painted and refitted yesterday and all the vacuum lines and tank reattached.

Apart from redoing the leaking O-ring, mounting the Air Cond Compressor, a radiator overflow hose, I'm pretty much a done deal now...... After the hoods back on, i'll have to wash the ol girl, as she's a bit dusty from 3 months of sitting around, but......then it will be the first road test..... good times are coming.

The next items on the agenda for the "Make-over", is to fit a new headlight switch and attack the Climate Control Air Cond.

I reckon we might enjoy the car for a few months first and the switch should only be a few hours to do, so I can slip that in anytime.
The air cond would see the car off the road for a month I reckon.

Australia

Jeepers Creepers

It would seem that Photo Bucket now want to charge everyone to lift over photos, which seems fair, except they just went and blocked every photo anyones ever posted.  :o

Terrific, just one more expense to add to all the others.

Oh, the Fleetwood update is, we are refitting the bonnet today ready for the first test run.  8)
Australia

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yep, that's what happens.   Get lots of people virtually locked in for free, then charge.

Norton did that when they came on the scene.   It was free, with free updates, then once everyone was using Norton, the charges came in, annually.   And it wasn't free to join any more.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Jeepers Creepers

Well, we went back on the road last Saturday and I now have 140 miles on the rebuilt engine. It feels strong and smooth.

The best part, is everything still works in the car, so after pulling the bloody thing apart, I'm managed to put it all back correctly.  :) YAY
This week-end will see the run-in continue and I'm going to enjoy the car now for a little while.

These are the jobs I did while the engine was out.

1. Rebuilt the engine. (that was the big one, as it was a complete rebuild, not just a freshen up)
2. Re-graph the distributor to factory specs.
3. Reco the alternator.
4. Reco the starter, which ended up being a brand new starter in the end.
5. Fit brand new heavy duty battery cables. 
6. Repaint the engine bay and under the hood.
7. Repack the front wheel bearings.
8. Replace the upper control arm bushes.
9. Service the auto.
10. Replace every flexible fuel line front and back.
11. Flush out the fuel tank.
12. Check and clean brakes on all 4 corners.
13. Paint or do a basic detail job on every part removed and refitted during the last 3 months.
14. Make from scratch and replace every rubber splash guard/apron for the engine bay and battery cradle.
15. Fit a brand (repro) elusive R/H mirror.

These are the jobs I still want to achieve.

1. Fit the new headlight switch.  (I have it here.)
2. Pull apart and redo the climate control air cond system. (It works, but not perfectly)

Number 2 will see the car off the road for a month I reckon.

Sorry PhotoBucket has buggered up posting pictures for me and i'm not paying the 400 or 500 dollars they want to be able to post my stuff.
I also hope I haven't bored you guys to death during the rebuild.  :-\

Cheers, Kev
Australia

Kevin, I enjoyed your photos (and the whole thread) and would be happy to see it going on.

You can easily load up pictures directly into the forum. No need for for a dubious hoster who takes your pictures hostage.

Shown in the attached picture.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

Jeepers Creepers

Thanks Nils,

I might get the wife to suss it out for me and show me how to do it. (I'm not real computer savvy)
Australia

Jeepers Creepers

We got their Classic Cadillac out this week-end.

We had a great forecast weather wise, so around 10:30am Saturday, the Fleetwood left the garage. We cruised our way from Tin Can Bay through to Gympie, where I had thought about grabbing us a milkshake each at Hell Town Hot Rods. Holy Crap, the place was full of late model cars, so with parking limited, we kept moving. (Besides, I didn’t want any late model car germs getting near our classic)

The Bruce Highway made for a smooth ride to the Sunshine Coast where we thought we might surprise my engine guy with a visit.
Keep in mind, he’s pretty busy and works NEARLY EVERY SATURDAY.
We pulled in for a big surprise….. friggin surprise all right…he wasn’t there. PMSL.

Being right on the coast of the Pacific Ocean is nice, but thousands of others had thought of the same thing, so we turned tail and headed for the mountains.

At the base of the mountains in Woombye, we stopped at a quaint little park and had some sandwiches and coffee milk for lunch on the picnic tables. (Last decade, we use to live about 4 miles away)

Leaving Woombye, we meandered through to Palmwoods, home of Rick’s Diner where we caught up with the Cadillac Club last month. Rick’s was packed with lots of bikes and classic cars. One bloke in a 66 Mustang was looking for a park….. good luck with that mate.
The Fleetwood was purring along and then we began the climb up a steep, narrow road to arrive in the heart of Montville.
Not too many people are aware of this sneaky little road, most don't know it exists.

The engine loved the climb, these engines, truly are torque monsters.
Montville has a little bit of a German Village feel to it. Lots of tourists here too, but there always is.

From Montville, we made our way along the top of the Blackall Range, giving us numerous opportunities to view the deep blue of the Pacific Ocean.
I think the Fleetwood even cast an eye over the ocean, looking to see if Los Angeles (Her previous home)  was visible. but it’s a big mass of water the separates the two counties.

All too soon, we arrived in Mapleton and while I would’ve loved to go via the Obi Obi road, but it’s got about a 1 mile of dirt. So, we descended the other way, taking a short steep descent, then leveling out a bit before descending again and another plateau and then the third decent into Nambour. Here, we hooked a left and made our way out through Yandina to Belli Park for a photo opportunity.
I’ve known about a road called Fleetwood Lane and I just had to get a picture. Not easy either, as the sign is in a crap spot, but we did our best. 

From here, we went back out to the main highway and headed for home, arriving back home just on 4pm.

The Fleetwood ate up the miles with ease. (about 210 miles for day)
We managed to vary the engine revs with lots of different situations and the motor now has 540 miles on it.
I’ll give the car a few more miles locally today as I’m chasing 600 miles/1,000 klm, and then next Saturday, I can drop the oil and change the filter and pass a spanner over everything to make sure all is good. 

The overall wash up of the day was, the Fleetwood performed flawlessly, she handled everything from cruisy highway miles to twisty steep roads with the best of manners.
Yesterday’s drive, really made the hard work of the past 4 months’ worth it.
We had rock and roll music playing all the way, we got thumbs up everywhere we went and we just flat out, enjoyed using our Classic Cadillac.

I hope I haven’t bored you guys to death with this story. If you google some of the spots I’ve mentioned, you can give yourself a geography lesson of what’s what in Australia.

Cheers, Kev

Australia

DeVille68

Hi Kev

Nice story! Good to hear that everything is good with your motor.
I just spun a rod bearing - have to rebuild the engine. Maybe next spring I will be able to write a similar story too!

Cheers,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)