News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Restoration Issues for the 1941's

Started by BJM, December 12, 2017, 09:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

I am already considering a purchase of a 1941 project vehicle (Cadillac).  This year seems particularly well supported by vendors - especially when it comes to pretty stuff. 

My worry is the rebuilding of the Flathead and the 1st year Hydramatic.  If anyone has done rebuilds on these, what are the headaches or issues and how are they over come ?   

For instance I have heard the connecting rods are almost impossible to remove from the crankshaft to replace bearings. Also, I would not mind putting in insert bearings. 

Parts availability on both the engine and transmission ?   Thanks

Bobby B

Quote from: BJM on December 12, 2017, 09:28:19 AM
My worry is the rebuilding of the Flathead and the 1st year Hydramatic.  If anyone has done rebuilds on these, what are the headaches or issues and how are they over come ?   

Can write a book on this if someone wanted to listen....Here's some good reading material before you dive in. Click on Restoring your Flathead 1-8.

http://www.rmrclc.com/waltsWorkBench.html

For instance I have heard the connecting rods are almost impossible to remove from the crankshaft to replace bearings. Also, I would not mind putting in insert bearings.

Yes, difficult because of the angle of the rod. Why would you just be changing bearings and not checking the crank, resizing the rods, etc. Haphazardly throwing any size bearings in is dangerous and/or a waste of time without knowing why you're doing it in the first place. And bearings are the least of your problems regarding this engine.

Parts availability on both the engine and transmission ?   Thanks

Almost everything is available, Quality...well, that's up to you. Full trans rebuild kits available from places like Fatsco, Northwest, etc. You need some special tools for the engine and trans, and some in detail manuals. I have a lot of the specialty tools and some great trans manuals when you're ready.

MOST IMPORTANT....Don't be afraid to ask. We can save you time , money, and your sanity!  ;D
                                                                                                         Good Luck,
                                                                                                             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Fred Pennington 25635

Bryan, you should have no problem with motor parts.
Terrell in Texas it the go to guy for parts.
The rod bearings are already insert bearings.
The rods are not difficult to get apart . What can be difficult to find is a 7/16 socket that is thin wall enough to fit in the recess for the nut and still be strong enough to break the nut loose.
I went through 3 sockets on my first rebuild. I found a good 6 point socket at Montgomery Wards. ( dating myself) It has lasted through three other rebuilds. Sorry don't have a newer source.
Have your block checked for cracks.
I would strongly recommend visiting Rocky Mountain Regions website. Walt Brewer has a series on the rebuild.
http://rmrclc.com/waltsWorkBench.html

Sorry, I can't help you with the Hydro Matic.

Good Luck
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Barry M Wheeler #2189

If it's not working, the best route to go is with a post war (WWII) transmission. Kits are more readily available for the post war years. I have had a '41 of some kind or another during most of the last fifty years. Not running all the time, but it was great just to have one to work on. The '41 has been the most popular car in our Club since 1958 when it was started. If you ever get to that point, having the chrome done properly will require a second or third mortgage on your home and a very, very understanding wife.

The words "shiny pits" will come into your list of every day words. You will learn what the figure 66,130 means. (Total production). You will learn which of the suppliers to go to for "every day items", absolutely must have items," and "impossible to find items."

And one of the first things you learn about a '41. "Don't shut it off unless we're gonna' be here a while..."

Best of luck and you will really find a lot of help on this Forum.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

BJM

Thanks all for the heads up and direction to websites and knowledgeable people.