News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Is there something wrong with these light sockets

Started by MeToo, December 13, 2017, 02:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeToo

So old right side taillight bulbs came out easily, tried 2 different types of new bulbs which each the exact same size and fitting type. The contacts on the side are the exact same locations and sizes, but the new bulbs just won't go in. The left new bulbs went in with a little initial difficulty but went in and work fine, but for some reason the right side is pain to fit. The bulbs press in a little but just won't turn and click.
Are these sockets defective or I am doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix this, would pulling the wires behind the assembly help?
Thanks

Roger Zimmermann

Your new bulbs are most probably made in China. I got the same problem with a type # 90; it cannot be installed because the shape of the bulb is incorrect. In my opinion, your sockets are OK, the bulbs not.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

Not sure what year, but tend to I agree w/ Roger.  If it rings out with the DVM, it's not the socket, per se.   I've had to change to modern sockets on some lights to get good contact with modern bulbs.   Combination of socket age and new bulbs.   You might find NOS bulbs depending on type.   Try inserting the bulb with the lower contact starting in the channel over the rim at an angle, sometimes that helps get them in.   Usually more of an issue with multiple filament sockets.   You might change springs also, if it flops around.
Even if you get them working, one bump and they might quit.   A dab of dielectric grease on contacts may help.   
Just an artifact of changes in manufacturing techniques.   The adage "they don't make like that any more" applies. 

CadillacRob

The sockets look good and clean to me.  Make sure the little nipples on the side of the bulb is oriented correctly.  Usually one side is high and the other is lower.

That being said, if your contacts are worn out they do sell the guys at summit racing.  I think they call them pig tails.  I had to do that to my 50 caddy.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

papas52cad

Hello
I had a similar problem with map lites on my 52, I bought the correct lamp ( China of course!!)  but it would not seat properly. Then I looked more closely and found that the the 2 silver, bottom of the lamp contact knobs stood a little higher when compared to original bulbs. I got some sandpaper, continued to sand the ends down until the 2 protruding contacts were flattened and not as high and matched original and I was finally able to get bulb in.
It was a simple fix, hope it helps you.
Afraid that any new bulb will do the same, so this will be my work around.
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

jaxops

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on December 13, 2017, 03:02:52 AM
Your new bulbs are most probably made in China. I got the same problem with a type # 90; it cannot be installed because the shape of the bulb is incorrect. In my opinion, your sockets are OK, the bulbs not.

Exactly!  I had to find an NOS bulb for my 1970 Electra and voila! It fits and works (luckily).  I have a whole sleeve of "Mao-Cow-dung" bulbs that are probably good for the shooting gallery.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Giant Jason

The same thing happened with my Cutlass when I was switching to LEDs. Then when I did the DeVille, I used the same fix. Here's what worked for me. First, do what the others have suggested and sand/grind the connectors. Second, use some electric conductive grease. Third, because your ground is through the housing, grind that down for connectivity or attach a small ground wire. Hope that helps

jaxops

Quote from: Giant Jason on December 18, 2017, 04:56:31 PM
The same thing happened with my Cutlass when I was switching to LEDs. Then when I did the DeVille, I used the same fix. Here's what worked for me. First, do what the others have suggested and sand/grind the connectors. Second, use some electric conductive grease. Third, because your ground is through the housing, grind that down for connectivity or attach a small ground wire. Hope that helps
Thanks Giant- I will try that too before I send lead down-range at my China-bulbs.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

gkhashem

As I remember some of the newer bulbs are long life so on one bulb I had to replace it was a 1156. I used an 1156LL but the bulb had the contacts a bit higher. The bulb did not like the socket so I used the 1156 and all was OK.

So maybe you got the LL bulb, not the regular one.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)