News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Laurie's 1970 Fleetwood Brougham Restoration

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 18, 2017, 03:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on December 21, 2017, 08:07:01 AM
What a nice car. 

I drive a 70 deVille convertible and find it extremely comfortable, powerful, and more than capable of being driven all day long with ease.

Thank you!  :-*

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Thanks for the info on air circulation, makes sense. I did all my own electrical on this house, I have 2 20a circuits up in the attic just hanging around doing nothing. I can send one outside to the portable garage changing to a GFCI breaker and switching to U12-2 at a yet to be installed junction box before the power goes outside. One of my guys does great 'metal' work, hand rails, etc. Maybe he could make a 'box' that could be attached to the frame that would hold a fan.... weight would need to be considered. Thanks for the tip!

As far as just leaving the car uncovered, you may have noticed a huge oak tree right beside it. Bird $hit, enormous leaf drop in the fall, and numerous falling branches in winter winds or summer hurricane type wind. That's why the padding, in case a big branch hits it. Also why a portable garage would be upgraded to heavier 'roof' material and support.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info! Wish I had seen these responses before I wrapped her up for the winter.  :( Thanks again, very much.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on December 18, 2017, 11:10:29 AM
I concur 100% and DO get the Cadillac Shop manual for your mechanic and tell him NOT to think Chevrolet when working on your car and it's engine.  They both have internal combustion engines, yes, but there are many differences and different ways of doing things between Cadillac and Chevy that have taken many Chevy-oriented owners and mechanics by surprise.

Shop manual ---
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-CADILLAC-SHOP-MANUAL-ALL-SERIES-A-NICE-FACTORY-ORIGINAL/310356700288?hash=item4842b36c80:m:mXLbNNZ_q373QJjXhdnWRsg&vxp=mtr

Fisher Body manual ---
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-FISHER-BODY-FACTORY-SERVICE-MANUAL-BUICK-CADILLAC-CHEVY-OLDS-PONTIAC-SHOP/302558870263?hash=item4671e9faf7:g:IR4AAOSwKfVXKovQ&vxp=mtr

Gold mines of information!  Cheap at twice the price.

Arrived today!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I did a minor cleaning of the car before it got wrapped up, just to get the junk out, and found this.

I think in some states we're legally married now....

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

;D  That car looks like it is getting to be a better deal all the time!  Going to have it appraised?
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

chrisntam

Agreed!

I wish this forum had a poll, we'd poll the audience to see if they think it's real or not.  The tie in is that it was found in a Cadillac.   ;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

signart

That padding is a sponge. Those "sponges" will draw moisture and the tarp will insure that they stay moist.  I am glad you are happy with your new treasure that you have found and worked for. Thanks for your service also. I am afraid you will regret storing your Cadillac in that manner in a few weeks.
Good luck. 
Art D. Woody

Cape Cod Fleetwood

My Facebook page is CRAZY about that ring... 'yes' when I feel like being laughed at like a circus clown I'll bring it to a jeweler for an opinion. If its worth a buck I'm still wearing it, especially to car shows!

And I'm scouting places to have The Ark painted/roof replaced, etc. Everything from Hyannis Vintage (Mecum/Barret-Jackson cars) to Cape Cod Tech. Where I am going with this car, 'local' stuff only. I priced out replacement 'vintage' tires, $205 each, yikes.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: signart on December 21, 2017, 07:24:59 PM
That padding is a sponge. Those "sponges" will draw moisture and the tarp will insure that they stay moist.  I am glad you are happy with your new treasure that you have found and worked for. Thanks for your service also. I am afraid you will regret storing your Cadillac in that manner in a few weeks.
Good luck.

If I don't use the padding, the "ink" (camo pattern) may transfer to the paint, and any branches that come off that tree beside it in gale winds could dimple the hood or trunk... The car 'has' to stay where it is. What to do? Laurie?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

Try Hankook 235/75R15 or Cooper Trendsetters, same size.  There aren't a whole lot of choices out there anymore but there are a few.  Both the Hankook and the Cooper come in a narrow whitewall, maybe not the exact factory correct whitewall width for the '70 but no one will care, they'll look good.  I prefer the Hankooks but cost and ease of finding one or the other may play a part in your area.  Other brands are out there but not as easy to find and/or are more expensive.

If you want to go top of the line in a white wall, get a set of Michelins through Diamondback Tires and have them put the whitewall of your choice on the tire --- but NOW you're talking expensive.  You CAN get Michelins in a blackwall 237/75R15 most anywhere but Cadillacs look better with and deserve a whitewall IMO.

www.dbtires.com
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

35-709, are you ready for what a 'car snob' I am? When I go to a car show the 1st 2 things I look at are the tires and the battery (if the hood is open). If they're not 'correct', I move on to the next car. When I see old Pony's with Hankook's or 70's Mopars with DieHards (or worse, Interstate) somewhere a puppy dies.

It has Coopers on it now, they need to be replaced pretty soon.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Dan LeBlanc

Honestly, Laurie.  I think you're better off with a little debris falling on it that likely won't dent it . . . we're talking some real metal here, not recycled pop cans.  I'm sure at one point in it's life it's spent a some time out doors.

Whatever will fall on it heavy enough to dent it, will dent it though the padding.

My 62 Coupe was on my front lawn near a tree for a winter in Eastern New Brunswick.  We had 6 feet of snow that winter.  It survived without even a scratch.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

76eldo

The correct size whitewall on a Cadillac is a must in my opinion.
If you are going to drive the car every day and will wear out the more expensive tires in like three years that's a different story.

If you are driving the car 1000 to 2000 miles a year like a lot of us then the cost of the correct tires divided by 10 years is a negligible difference in my opinion.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

slowpoke17

Nice car Laurie! Congratulations on the new ride. I can relate to what you've posted and wanting the car nearby, I find some joy every time I go in my garage. I just look at my cars and even though they are now in storage I just like to see them every now and then and look forward to Spring. Regarding the tires; in my opinion some one who is nicely dressed  but wearing the wrong shoes just messes everything up. A nicely detailed car needs the right tire and wheels to complete the picture.
John Federico

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: slowpoke17 on December 22, 2017, 03:18:53 PM
Regarding the tires; in my opinion some one who is nicely dressed  but wearing the wrong shoes just messes everything up.

*PRECISELY*! Thank you for checking my block.  ;D

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

SO, without access to the RPO codes, #1) the Fleetwood was either born blue and the 028S interior option (no accounting for some people's taste) was selected, or #2) it was born Adriatic Turqoise or Lucerne Aqua Firemist with same proper interior option and someone tried to paint it blue. Then someone else tried to return it to green, ergo Lucerne Agua... and using Behr paint I think.

What was torturing me was the blue dash. Cadillac in those days suggested an interior that would compliment the factory paint as the dash would 'mirror' it. The interior is the original Dumbarton Turquoise. All of the old photo's I've seen on line with that interior - had a blue dash. Green dashboards came with the dark green interior option.

After another 3 hours of study I'll be able to sleep tonight, the blue dash is 'correct'.

And its ugly.

And its evidently "Lucerne Aqua Firemist" (#93) the color I want, regardless of RPO code, it was the color of my dad's car.

What if - I had the dash painted with 93? Not 'correct', but it would match the medium turqoise dumbarton interior better than blue. Thoughts?

The replacement roof needs to be a dual seam padded roof "cross grain", black.

I spent HOURS on the Summit Racing website, comparing their product codes to the same at the AC Delco website. They have EVERYTHING I need AC Delco except for the oil pan gasket. And they have the correct Coker tires... with free shipping. CARiD offers a 10% veterans discount but you pay for shipping, Summit is the way to go for me, they had the best prices. And yes I tried to beat them on other sights, futile.

The fancy schmancy autobody I reached out to via email locally (Mecum/Barret type resto's) were initially pleased to hear from me. When I sent them photo's and underlined my financial non-ability to make this a Concours level restoration, they went silent. Christmas time? Could be. Non intere$t on their part now? Far more likely. A dear old friend has juice with a north shore voke that has won numerous awards for body work, my 'cost' is materials only. There's some doubt if they could do the roof... stay tuned. And as long as the body is being done, is there any reason not to replace all the exterior emblems at this time? I'll need them for the roof. And the "FLEETWOOD" badging is missing from both front doors, but the holes are there! Is there a preferred supplier of such items?

There's an amazing array of interior carpet replacement suppliers on eBay. And several interior parts 'new' in their original packaging. Big money. If I change the carpets it will make the seats look worse I think. But I haven't vacuumed and shampooed them yet either, and shined up the leather inserts...

First car show is 17Jun18, the clock is ticking. Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Caddyholic

What does the data tag say the color was from factory?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Caddyholic on December 23, 2017, 09:41:58 PM
What does the data tag say the color was from factory?

That would make it too easy. No RPO codes on the glove box or door, never looked under the back seat and its all bundled up outside for the winter now so I can't look under the hood.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Dan LeBlanc

This plate under the hood is what you're looking for. Cadillac didn't put anything in the glove box with codes at that time.

You can also.order the build sheet for your car from Allied Vaughn for $50
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car