News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Laurie's 1970 Fleetwood Brougham Restoration

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 18, 2017, 03:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

35-709

There ARE modern oils with sufficient zinc readily available, some mentioned above, another is Mobil 1 but not ALL Mobil 1s.  I use Mobil 1 15W-50, plenty of zinc and you can use it year-round.  You don't need additives that way and premium unleaded should be just fine for your car.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

76eldo

Regarding ZDDP additives, I went to an engine seminar at the Grand National in Las Vegas.  There was a guy doing the seminar that builds race engines and also does vintage engine work.  According to him, you should buy oil with the ZDDP already in it because the additive may not stay in suspension as well and may not be compatible.

Just repeating what I heard.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Carl Fielding

Hey Fleetwood : This is the oil discussion again. There is a very modern oil designed for your car , and it's use or lack thereof. It is better than all the others. Amsoil Z-Rod. Use the 10W/30 for Winter. Look it up. ZDDP and phosphorus for that 472. I have to run right now , but if you have put something else in it , just go to Z-Rod next change. When I get back , I will present impartial substantiation of my claim. You will also get octane info from my years of 1970 CDV ownership. I must take the time now to say that I have absolutely no connection to , of financial interest in Amsoil whatsoever. I just use it. If anyone can show me a better oil , I will drop that Z-Rod like a hot exhaust manifold. If I had a daughter , she would be about your age. She'd be a Cadillac Chick too ! Very happy to have you join us !  - Cadillac Carl

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on December 19, 2017, 04:22:16 AM
Were you a Navy pilot by any chance? You mentioned AC, flight deck, tail hook, etc. That and parachutes. Now those I did use being Airborne.

Navy loadmaster, C130. I never saw the sense in jumping out of a perfectly well functioning aircraft, but that's just me. LOL!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Carl Fielding on December 19, 2017, 04:11:23 PM
Hey Fleetwood : This is the oil discussion again. There is a very modern oil designed for your car , and it's use or lack thereof. It is better than all the others. Amsoil Z-Rod. Use the 10W/30 for Winter. Look it up. ZDDP and phosphorus for that 472. I have to run right now , but if you have put something else in it , just go to Z-Rod next change. When I get back , I will present impartial substantiation of my claim. You will also get octane info from my years of 1970 CDV ownership. I must take the time now to say that I have absolutely no connection to , of financial interest in Amsoil whatsoever. I just use it. If anyone can show me a better oil , I will drop that Z-Rod like a hot exhaust manifold. If I had a daughter , she would be about your age. She'd be a Cadillac Chick too ! Very happy to have you join us !  - Cadillac Carl

Cadillac Carl, all the posts here so far have been so kind, helpful and informative. Yours brought me to tears. God Bless and Merry Christmas. Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hey guys! All the media recommended has been marked shipped by eBay.
Took my baby out today probably for our last ride of the winter. To Scott's for a quick peek, no time for an oil change, then to his other station for a sticker, then to Lou's Custom Exhaust for a resonator. Video on my FB page. It has a resonator, what it didn't have was a large enough muffler and an exhaust system properly bolted to the manifold! Now she's Cadillac quiet! Lovingly placed back on the 10x20 tarp, tomorrow I'll throw some moving blankets over her and a 19x23 tarp bungeed at the bottom. I've removed the mats and will be putting "damp rid" cannisters - 2 on the front floor, 2 on the back floor and 3 in the trunk, before she gets dressed for winter. Only assuming 12-14 weeks like this. Took a million pictures today to bring to body shops for paint/roof guesstimates. Are there other places I can find her RPO codes besides the glove box? None there, yikes. I noticed when she was up on the lift the oil and tranny pans were pretty wet, probably just needs new gaskets. Scott can do that when all the fluids get changed in the spring. I checked the levels on the initial look, they were normal. Such fun to drive, and no I didn't kick its butt, I could hear my dad say "learn how to drive it first honey", so we kept our speed to about 52 knots on the highway. Already entered for the Father's Day Car Show in Hyannis on June 17th. I looked at World Of Wheels but its too soon this year in Boston, in March. Plus there's not a lot of love for survivors at that show. Should I post all her pics here or on another part of the forum? Thank you all so much for your advice and information, I'm taking it all in! This woman actually LISTENS! HA!  ;)

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hey guys,
where would they be located? Nothing in the glove box... help?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Once its painted and gets a new roof I'll be installing a Shelter Logic or King Canopy 'portable garage' for the good weather. With massive ground stakes and some ratchet straps inside on the support poles they held up to Irma. Renting garage space is not an option, but I do have clients who have offered me their garages (free) during the winter when they're not using their seaside mansions.

Right now, my new baby (1970 fleetwood in 'fair' condition) is on a 10x20 tarp. All the mats have been removed and I'll be putting several "damp rid" cannisters in the front and back floors as well as the trunk. I'll keep a window opened slightly to let some air in. Then the plan is to cover it with moving blankets and a 19x23 tarp, bungeed tightly at the bottom to keep the critters out. Here's a pic of how it will look. Total time under cover I estimate at 12-14 weeks. The use of blankets is to prevent the 'camo' paint job from the Harbor Freight tarp bleeding onto what's left of the paint. Thoughts and opinions greatly welcomed.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Steve Passmore

My question would be 'why not take the garage offer and save all the uncertainty?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Steve Passmore on December 20, 2017, 04:17:19 AM
My question would be 'why not take the garage offer and save all the uncertainty?

Fair question! I just got it, Saturday. Its my dream come true. I'd just like to keep her close as long as I can. How's that for a 'chick' answer!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Mice can be a real problem--- I use moth balls--- in open plates so they don't touch surfaces and a full box of cloths dryer sheets--- everywhere--- including on the top of the wheels, in the engine compartment, etc. etc.  I store in Maine... using off brand dryer sheets doesn't work.  I find this combination, liberally applied, works.   Been storing my old Cadillacs up here in Maine for over 10 years.  Congratulations on a really nice car...  Happy day,   James

jagbuxx #12944

Check under the hood on the cowl near the windshield.
The body plate hopefully is still there.
It will give you the body build #, color code, trim code, build week & month as well as major options.
Enjoy the car!
My first collector car was also a 70 Fleetwood.
Loved it
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 20, 2017, 04:56:03 AM
Fair question! I just got it, Saturday. Its my dream come true. I'd just like to keep her close as long as I can. How's that for a 'chick' answer!

Ya, I know what it's like when you just acquired it. But I have covered cars before now for that reason and ended regretting it. Good luck.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

autoluke

Go with the garage offer, and save the hassle.

Phil Lukens

wrefakis

first Cadillac that I myself ever drove was a twin to this one in October of 1969 less than 500 miles on it, never drove anything quite like it
this one was driven on a few trips back in 71, has all of 17000 miles you had to drive them back in the day on correct fuel amazing power and handling for car that size

wrefakis

Lexi

Laurie your "chick answer" is adorable and totally understandable. Best to go with the mind rather than the heart on this one though, and park her in a garage. We got to do what is best for the car. On the plus side just think how happy you will be when you see her tucked away, out of the elements. Clay/Lexi

Cape Cod Fleetwood

See, you guys are trying to use "logic" with a female who's overly emotionally attached to this car. Aren't any of you married, have mom's, daughters, sisters? That trick never works...  ;D

Seriously, how much damage can 12-14 weeks do to the car being well blanketed, tarped, and with damp rids, moth balls and dryer sheets all over/under it? I'm chasing paint/roof guesstimates now. The interior is true 'survivor' ergo not showroom.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

David Greenburg

I don’t think gender controls emotional attachment to cars.  I’ve seen plenty of guys, myself included, make decisions and spend unwarranted amounts of money based on emotional attachment to old Cadillacs.  Like governing house purchase and remodeling decisions on more than one occasion.  That said, you want to do what is best for your car.  If keeping it close by will enable you to keep an eye on it, and perhaps air it out occasionally during dry spells, your plan might be OK, particularly given the limited time frame.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Lexi

Laurie you are hilarious! David's points are well taken and your desire to keep the car close may be best after all things are taken into consideration, (with security being right up there in importance). That said, I am generally not a fan of storing our classics outside. A search of this Forum will reveal many posts on this topic which may provide you with key information especially should decide to store her outdoors. Think we can all agree that in the end we should strive to do what is best for the car, given the circumstances. As the 'devil is always in the details', so to speak, what is 'best' will be dependent on all the factors. Glad you got you dream car! I think most of us can relate to that as I agree that gender does not regulate how any of us feel about our cars! They are members of the family. Clay/Lexi