News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Laurie's 1970 Fleetwood Brougham Restoration

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 18, 2017, 03:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Laurie...please do yourself a favor and do NOT use the tarp.  Moisture will get trapped in the blankets between the tarp and the paint and will not be able to breathe.  You'll have a mess on your hands in 12-14 weeks when you uncover it.

My father, a body man of 47 years when he retired always said that if a car was to be left outside during the winter, it was always best to leave it uncovered so the air can circulate and keep it dry.  Trapped moisture will be the worst enemy causing more rust than leaving it outside, uncovered.

Admittedly, I had to do it with a 62 Coupe de Ville one winter and it looked the same in the spring as it did when I parked it in the winter.  I just cleaned the snow off of it after every storm and kept snow cleared around it.

Dad was right...again!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

David Greenburg

A breathable all-weather cover is an option.  And if you get a good one, you could keep using it after the car is repainted.  Check out California Car Covers for some of the options.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, what horrible decisions to have to make each and every year.

Life must be really tough living in places where it snows and the ground freezes.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   A friend once covered up his car with a simple cover, and by the time he removed it, the paint on the roof was crazed and lifting off.   

PPS.   I once put a car cover over my '72 Eldo Coupe when it was forecast that there would be a heavy frost.   The next day I couldn't remove it till the late morning as the rotten cover had physically become frozen to the body of the car.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gkhashem

Dan is correct the moisture under that tarp will be a disaster.

Better to leave it uncovered. better yet get into that garage!
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

chrisntam

What are you trying to find out?  What options the car came with?

Are you looking for a build sheet?

If so, sometimes it is under or behind the back seat, perhaps between the gas tank and the trunk. Of what I found on my car...not too much...

On mine, I just looked at how it's equipped and go from there.

Here's a link or two to some good caddy info...

http://automotivemileposts.com/cadillac/cadi1970selections.shtml

https://www.motorera.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad70.htm
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 20, 2017, 02:51:22 AM
Hey guys,
where would they be located? Nothing in the glove box... help?
Laurie,
Realistically... this is a Cadillac not a Corvette!! LOL!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 20, 2017, 02:51:22 AM
Hey guys,
where would they be located? Nothing in the glove box... help?
I’m not sure when RPO codes were implemented.  But I know my 70 Eldo did not have an RPO sticker. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

Yes, but there is a trim plate at the base of the windshield on the driver side at the end of the cowl. It has series number (should be 68169), month and week of production paint, top and interior codes, and several, but not all optional item codes.  If you can post a pic of it (you might want to clean it off first) the experts here can tell you the major options that it was built with.

You can also order a "kit" from CLC that will include a build sheet and some other stuff. There's also a GM heritage site with a "data book" that is a scan of dozens of pages on the cars (364 pages for 1970!). Let me find and put that link here:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html.

If you want the build sheet, the only way I know to get it is to buy the kit from CLC. I think it is $50.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Please Don't leave the windows cracked if you store it outside That will let in moisture. The moth balls and bounce sheets work well, You'll need them even if you put it in a garage. In a garage you can leave the windows half open, that will let air circulate.

The garage shouldn't be a bad option, unless its way too far away. But if you're out there on the cape within 10-15 miles of the shore, you'll likely get ocean mist drifting your way, so a garage is even more desirable.

Of course you can always bring it down here to Wesley Chapel, FL where I think it will just barely fit in my garage.  ;)

In all my airborne jumps, I never jumped from a C130. But I did have the displeasure of riding in C130s in and out of afghan several times. NOT fun... I also hopped a Space-A flight on a C130 from Hanscom AFB to MacDill AFB. That was a bit cold in the cargo bay, but not as cold as the C17s Space A trips from Germany to the US and back...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cape Cod Fleetwood

You all have no idea how much I appreciate you taking the time to respond, thank you.

Its like this...

When I was very young I was always threatened with "if you're not a good girl, Santa won't bring you gifts!" Doesn't every parent say that?

Then you grow up, work hard, have a life, go to war, start a business, own properties, live the dream, you're an ADULT after all now.

Then one Christmas morning you wake up, alone in your house, your family is all dead, friends are few since you trust no one after years in the military. You look under your Christmas tree and for the first time - there's nothing there. Nothing. And at the age of 52 you cry, all day, uncontrollably. I was a bad girl. And it happens again the next year... and the next. You'd have to experience it to understand.

A friend who's a psych recommended I buy myself something 'outrageous', something I'd never buy for myself, for myself, for a Christmas gift. Wrap it up, put it under the tree. Instant "peace" that Christmas and forever since.

That's why the car is outside this year... I need to see it and touch it Christmas morning. If that makes any sense now.

Got her all wrapped up today, took everyone's advice on proper seasonings - damp rids, Gain dryer sheets, moth balls on dishes under the car in 3 places, windows are up. Really glad I took the pics, especially on the engine. If the car smells REALLY good going out that first time to get painted I'll know I missed one. Next winter, if I don't take someone up on their garage offer, she'll stay in the 'portable garage' I'll erect at some point. There's a trick to installing these correctly I guess, LONG stakes into the ground at all the poles, and ratchet straps tight across the top and sides, THEN you put on the material for the sides and roof, tightly. We'll see. Here's pics from today, some of you may cringe, I'm sorry!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

My goodness, I never posted pics of my new baby, here they are.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Steve Passmore

Reading your story makes me fully understand. Keep the car with you!  I see you have the room there though? Is building a solid single garage an option?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Steve Passmore on December 21, 2017, 04:04:36 AM
Reading your story makes me fully understand. Keep the car with you!  I see you have the room there though? Is building a solid single garage an option?
Hi Steve, I'm a contractor, I can build anything. My family room is actually a converted garage. I can build it for the cost of materials, but then my real estate taxes, home owners insurance and flood insurance would all go up. The $400 'portable garage' saves a fortune, money I'd rather put into the car. NEXT winter, possibly I'll use a garage at a clients abandoned summer home. This winter, she stays here!
HO! HO! HO!
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on December 21, 2017, 12:38:46 AM
In all my airborne jumps, I never jumped from a C130. But I did have the displeasure of riding in C130s in and out of afghan several times. NOT fun... I also hopped a Space-A flight on a C130 from Hanscom AFB to MacDill AFB. That was a bit cold in the cargo bay, but not as cold as the C17s Space A trips from Germany to the US and back...

"displeasure"? I beg your pardon! LOL! My little mortar magnet got me around the world several times and into out of some unpleasant places. But those C17s are faster and quieter for sure.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 21, 2017, 04:38:26 AM
"displeasure"? I beg your pardon! LOL! My little mortar magnet got me around the world several times and into out of some unpleasant places. But those C17s are faster and quieter for sure.

It might have had something to do with the fact that on those trips we were crammed in so tight that sardines were laughing at us, with rucksack, helmet, weapons, and the heavy but also uncomfortable body armor.

Enjoy your present, you deserve it. Nice original condition that I can tell. I was missing my baby for 7 months this year while getting the engine overhauled:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=145138.0
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Dan LeBlanc

Hi Laurie

The key to preserving your car in the pop up garage will be to keep a box fan running in there at all times when the car is in there and the door is closed.  Air circulation is key.

I used one for a winter to store a project and moisture condenses and freezes on the inside without proper air circulation.  There are some things i had to do over because of the effects of moisture in storage.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

What a nice car. 

I drive a 70 deVille convertible and find it extremely comfortable, powerful, and more than capable of being driven all day long with ease.
Dan LeBlanc

76eldo

Pull out the back seat.  On my 70 there was a build sheet back there.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Lexi

Dan is correct. Without that air flow you're done. Don't even think of using a 'pop up' to store your car, at least not without air circulation. You would be better to leave the vehicle uncovered, given the choice. Other posts on this elsewhere in the Forum. Basically, without air movement the enclosure becomes one large humidity cabinet. Clay/Lexi

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on December 21, 2017, 04:55:01 AM

It might have had something to do with the fact that on those trips we were crammed in so tight that sardines were laughing at us, with rucksack, helmet, weapons, and the heavy but also uncomfortable body armor.

Enjoy your present, you deserve it. Nice original condition that I can tell. I was missing my baby for 7 months this year while getting the engine overhauled:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=145138.0

Yeah that "might" have something to do with it Mike, LOL! Thank you for your service...
I don't have the time now to read 6 pages on your thread, what was the bottom line, what do you
think caused the failure?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville