News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Laurie's 1970 Fleetwood Brougham Restoration

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 18, 2017, 03:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: V63 on December 31, 2017, 02:24:24 AM
I would retrofit a ‘modern’ cross flow condenser to it. They are much more efficient...especially with available modern refrigerant.  Cost would be around $110 for a brand new one.

Honey if you can link me to a $100 condenser for a 1970 fleetwood I'm your buddy..
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Thanks guys, AGAIN!
D204, D582A and C349 on the purchase list.

Bought the CORRECT therm (12T18E), gasket (12610), radiator cap (12R7S) and rotor (C435) on
Amazon.Smile tonight, $2.48 with my AmEx points. Summit didn't carry them.

2 more questions to complete the list that pay's Summits' bills for the month:

1) power steering fluid... yes I searched here, checked the owners manual and shop manual. "special service oil from warehouse" means what exactly?  Tranny fluid? Hey my 08 Acadia runs on D6 for the steering.

2) rear end fluid (the car, not me). Shop manual mentions 90w, will the standard GM grape juice work? Assuming there's no magnet in that or the tranny pan?

Laurie (going to bed before 0400 and I really mean it this time)

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

V63

What you do is get the core measurement L X W.

The aftermarket cross flow replacements are sold by dimension. Best maybe Find a local supplier that can help. They are abundant on line of coarse.

Original Lines will need adaptation but your lines may missing too?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on December 31, 2017, 12:18:09 AM
Laurie,
You certainly did not ask, but that radiator is going to give you grief at anything above 80 degrees outside, and especially when you have the AC functional. These motors need every "ounce" of radiator they were born with.   Greg Surfas 
I am in agreeance with the fact regarding the Aluminium Radiator.

I had one fail in a '71 Eldorado, and purchased a replacement Copper/Brass one from Rock Auto, and worked a treat.   Probably made in China, but so far, no problems, and the owner drives his car virtually every day, no matter the weather.

I purchased a heavy duty one, but it didn't fit, as it was too thick, and now I have it to eventually fit into my '72, after modifying the mounting crossmember.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 31, 2017, 02:51:21 AM
......1) power steering fluid... yes I searched here, checked the owners manual and shop manual. "special service oil from warehouse" means what exactly?  Tranny fluid? Hey my 08 Acadia runs on D6 for the steering.
Basic Dexron III or IV.   Same as what is in your Transmission.

Quote2) rear end fluid (the car, not me). Shop manual mentions 90w, will the standard GM grape juice work? Assuming there's no magnet in that or the tranny pan?
I use 80W-90 in all my diffs, except if the Diff centre is LSD.   Then I use Valvoline, Castrop or Pennzoil LSD oil.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

Here's a link to an eBay search I did.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1970+cadillac+condenser&_sc=1&_flso=0&_sop=10&_fpos=75002&_sticky=1&_pcats=6001%2C6000&_osacat=6000&_stpos=75002&_qfkw=1&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1970+cadillac+condenser+-radiator.TRS1&_nkw=1970+cadillac+condenser+-radiator&_sacat=6000

Once purchased, I believe a radiator shop can leak test it.  Hopefully the seller will guarantee that it is leak free...

Be sure to flush the ess out of it prior to installation.  And you'll need a can of black paint.

Be sure you look at Rock Auto, they have most of what you need (expansion valve, drier, etc.).  I had to get my POA valve rebuilt, can't recall at the moment who did it, though it was a place in Florida...  Cost was about $200.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

LSD - Limited Slip Differential - not tim leary's acid trip.   :P You may or may not have it, because they were available back then. You'd have to take off the rear cover.  Hey, at least your rear has a cover because mine doesn't.

You can buy "regular", as in not honda or some other specific PS fluid, or just use the Dexron III. IV isn't being sold anymore and VI is stated by GM to be backwards compatible to All prior Dexron applications, including the ancient Auto Trans Fluid A which preceded Dexron in the mid 60s.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

I have my original condenser that has no leaks. for one benjie plus shipping if you can't find another.

You can get a proper 3 or 4 core copper tube brass tanks rad for these cars. A 4 core might not give you enough fan clearance though.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

I didn't notice that that was a top view of the battery. If I remember correctly there was a lever operated hold-down for the battery, not a bar across the top.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

chrisntam

Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), also known as acid, is a psychedelic drug known for its psychological effects, which may include altered awareness of one's surroundings, perceptions, and feelings as well as sensations and images that seem real though they are not.

Kinda like the guy selling the '53 Eldo or the guy selling the '59 Series 62....both tremendously rusty.

::)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

Well, where did it come from?

It's not in any of the 1970 brochures that i have or any non-advertisement materials that I have. I don't have everything, but I do have to popular brochures, etc from back then.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

59-in-pieces

Chrisntam,
To quote FROZEN - "LET IT GO", LET IT GO..."
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

35-709

"You may or may not have it, because they were available back then. You'd have to take off the rear cover."

No need to take off the cover, with both rear wheels off the ground - transmission in any gear but Park - turn one rear wheel by hand (emergency brake off  :)), if the other wheel turns in the same direction you have the limited slip.  If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction, you do not have the optional limited slip differential.  Cadillac calls it simply a Controlled Differential.  If you still have the ID tag on your differential, the ratio ID code number will be preceded by a "G", if you have the Controlled Differential.  The tag was attached to the forward side of the diff. under one of the pinion retainer bolts --- bet it is still there. 

FYI, the ratio code number will be 3 for a 2.93-1 ratio or a 5 for a 3.15-1 ratio --- in 1973 --- assume yours are the same.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 link=topic=147982.msg380746#msg380746 date=1514648722
1968s look better, especially with a bronze star and airborne wings.  :P
/quote]

Well the mods will nuke this reply but its all I've got. My shadow box and my daily driver.
Laurie! (a/k/a PO Laurie/ABH2/NAC/AW)

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on December 31, 2017, 12:45:49 PM
I have my original condenser that has no leaks. for one benjie plus shipping if you can't find another.

You can get a proper 3 or 4 core copper tube brass tanks rad for these cars. A 4 core might not give you enough fan clearance though.

Mike if that condenser fits my car I'll take it, graci.
As far as the radiator, its working. If there's an issue with it going forward I'll act on it then.
And I really appreciate all the info!
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on December 31, 2017, 07:54:59 PM
"You may or may not have it, because they were available back then. You'd have to take off the rear cover."

No need to take off the cover, with both rear wheels off the ground - transmission in any gear but Park - turn one rear wheel by hand (emergency brake off  :)), if the other wheel turns in the same direction you have the limited slip.  If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction, you do not have the optional limited slip differential.  Cadillac calls it simply a Controlled Differential.  If you still have the ID tag on your differential, the ratio ID code number will be preceded by a "G", if you have the Controlled Differential.  The tag was attached to the forward side of the diff. under one of the pinion retainer bolts --- bet it is still there. 

FYI, the ratio code number will be 3 for a 2.93-1 ratio or a 5 for a 3.15-1 ratio --- in 1973 --- assume yours are the same.

I really hope I remember this post when The Ark is on the lift again....
And Dexron 6 for power steering fluid, one less thing I have to buy!
Thanks Guys!
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

chrisntam

Quote from: 49er on January 01, 2018, 12:39:01 PM
I was wondering, shouldn't all this dialogue be in the restoration and even the technical threads? If not, why not.

It could also go in the "Parts Wanted" area.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I've owned my pride and joy for 17 days, I have 14 receipts - as of today - with more to come.
Is this how it works from now on? LOL!
Happy New Year!
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville