News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Laurie's 1970 Fleetwood Brougham Restoration

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 18, 2017, 03:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Fielding

Yes'm. Save those nickels and save those dimes. Welcome back to Cadillac , 'Fleetwood !  - CC , 1/1/'18

Caddyholic

It's a life altering disease. Caddyholisum. The symptoms are. You will find your self on this site more than any other ( checking it a minimum on 20 times a day) You will also find yourself on eBay, Craigslist and rock auto In a constant unrelenting search for parts (needed or not) or your next caddy fix (everybody knows you can't own just 1) then you get to the storage problem for the multiple car's you have and all the part's you don't need ( but have to have) it goes on and on.

Am I right y'all

Anything I missed?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Dan LeBlanc

I think Art has some very helpful advice here.

Laurie, as the number of topics you start grows, it will be hard to track what replies you have to what as things move down on the list.  As time goes by and you're 10 topics ahead, finding an answer you need on a past topic may get lost in the weeds, so to speak.  I think your path ahead is an ideal candidate for starting a blog in the restoration blog.

Starting one post, in the restoration blog, will allow us as forum members one place to go to see your progress and offer the best advice we can.  I know as someone who tries to offer advice where I can, I sometimes get lost trying to find a post I know I want to comment on but don't have the time right then and there to do so, and trying to find it later.

One restoration blog thread will help you keep organized.

If you want to start a blog, I'd be more than happy to merge all your threads into the one thread in the restoration blog to help you stay organized.

I think it would be an interesting thread.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

jaxops

Brace yourself.  These cars "grow" problems over the Winter.  Obviously they don't like to sit so suddenly your garage floor has oil or hydraulic fluid pooled under the car or a hard start, or a gas leak....... The hits just keep coming sometimes!  Enjoy the serenity when you're not paging through the InterNet looking for parts and the car isn't leaking anything!  Hallelujah!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

e.mason

In the words of the immortal Victor Laszlo.

Eric Mason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Laurie,
You are lucky in that for most of your car's "hard parts" such as motor, brakes, suspension, transmission, etc. the parts are still readily available. The issue many of CLC members face is the in ability to find a mechanic who will both work on these cars and is trustworthy.  One of the things that help minimize costs is having some knowledge about the workings of our cars and the ability to do a preliminary diagnosis when things are amiss.  The factory service manual and the Fischer body manual are musts to have and understand.  The forum is also help in understanding issues since most of us HAVE ISSUES of our own,
Welcome to the club.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have endured some thirty hours without the Internet... We have had (for even Indiana) a couple of very, very, VERY cold nights. We also did without a land line and TV. Finally figured out about nine PM last night that our recorded movies would still play. SLEEPY HOLLOW is scary, even with "Wednesday" as a blonde.

The ATS would not start again, even though I waited until the temp was well above zero. I didn't want to wait on OnStar all day so I called my local shop for $15.

Keep telling yourselves "Yes, we're having fun," and all will be well.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Scot Minesinger

Hi Laurie,

Go back to Greg's advise.  You need the Caddillac factory Shop manual, easiest place to buy them is e-bay.

Most all rubber parts need to be replaced.  Further, the steel fuel and brake lines should probably be replaced too.  If you have a timing chain with a nylon sprocket (1963-1979 for sure) than that should be replaced too.  Then with all of these things done, your car starts out more as new and you should not need frequent repairs.  I did this for my 1970 SDV and have it enjoyed it for five years now with no issues. 

Sounds simple, but rubber parts on your car are at a minimum; door seals, trunk seal, door stops, hood/fender stops, shocks, upper and lower control arm bushings, tires, brake pistons and calipers, transmission seals, rear control arm bushings, brake lines, fuel lines, numerous gaskets, vacuum hoses, coolant/heater hoses, carburetor gaskets, and etc.  On my 1970 Cadillac it was over 4.5k in parts plus install labor.

If you drive a 40 year old plus car and repair things as they fail, for me it would be not fun.  Hope that this helps,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

David King (kz78hy)

After a while you might find that keeping all receipts is not that great of a idea.  Close approximations in money spent, mentally recorded seems to work well.  Throw them in a folder and if you really need to find one you can, but never, under any circumstance, ever, and I repeat ever, total the number...

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

76eldo

Laurie,

Scott M is a great resource for you.
He's an ace mechanic and knows the 70 inside and out.
A shop manual is a must. If you are going to try doing some of the work on the car it's important to read up on it first.  If getting something done by a mechanic bring the manual along. I find that the service procedures are pretty well spelled out.

I enjoy collecting the literature that goes along with the cars. I have showroom data books and sales lit and accessory guides for the cars in addition to the owners manuals. Interesting reading especially during the winter when the car activities are curtailed by below freezing temps.

I don't know if you would be interested but I have some really mint chrome for the front of your car and the front and side parking and turnsignal bezels and lenses. Hard to find stuff with no pitting.

As far as racking up bills, you can go at it at your own pace and I'd recommend going over mechanical and safety items first. Especially the brake system including all metal lines and rubber hoses. At least a good visual inspection.

Enjoy!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

59-in-pieces

One of the hardest lessons I had to learn, low those 100 years ago when i started this Cadillac hobby was that no matter what it was, it was going to cost $250 to $300 a pop.
I do feel that saving your receipts is a good habit to get into.

And, without being sexist - God forbid these days - once you have finished the work, it's like giving birth - painful, but looking down at or driving YOUR Cadillac - you forget the pains and enjoy what you have created - often times with your own hands

I'll probably get nasty grams on this, I guess.
Enjoy the journey, because the destination is well worth it.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

35-709

On other threads you will read that Laurie has already ordered and received the Fisher Body Manual and the Cadillac Shop Manual.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

LOL! Thanks guys!

I have another 'hobby' that was my 'job' for years, also involves excruciating attention to detail and mntx otherwise somebody (me) gets hurt. On top of that add my military aviation background. I'm expecting the unexpected regardless of how hard I try to stay on top of things... they're machines after all, and elderly machines at that.

The guy I bought the car from, the one who said when questioned for mntx/repairs/receipts replied "I don't know, if something broke I fixed it".. great, bought it from another guy who was trying to restore it and either ran out of money or lost his heart. One of the first things we noticed when it was up on the lift were 'new' brake and fuel lines, parts, etc. I need to 'trust' the car, to take it for a long ride to a cruise or show. That's why Summit Racing just sent me an email stating 7 (seven) boxes were in transit, and another 3 from Amazon. I want the firing system replaced, the car starts right up and runs smooth and quiet, I want it all new. Plugs, wires, condensor, cap, rotor, points. Oil (its fine) change and filter, drop the pan. Tranny (its new) fluid and filter, drop the pan. Flush the radiator (Prestone looks new), new therm and cap. New battery (period correct of course), new tires (period correct of course). Change the power steering fluid (its fine), change the brake fluid (its fine), check the rear end fluid. A lot of this I can do. Seriously! But "I" need to know all this stuff is 'new', fresh. And my mntx records on the car have a place to start. Remember when I said the car was loud and the seller said they didn't put a resonator on it? I saw a resonator during my crawl under it, figured it was the muffler or something at the manifold. The muffler was too small and 1 of the 2 bolts holding the exhaust to the manifold was missing, that'll do it. Quiet as a mouse now.

I trust my mech with my life. I knew his father before his father knew his mother. Great mech, he "listens". We've had a few chats about the car, he's seen and loves it. And I keep saying "you have to think in the 70's. Where today we'd use wd-40, they used graphite, etc". Told him I bought the shop and body manual, he said he already downloaded them both to his iPhone. Gotta love it. This car was sold decades before his parents knew each other, so cool. He's also the clutch mechanic on the #4 alcohol Funny Car "Follow A Dream" which is based locally. I'm in good hands. Old cars aren't his wheelhouse, but he's good enough to research something before he reaches for his tools.

This is going to be a fun ride. And the advice and opinion I've already received from you folks here has been worth its weight in gold. There will be MANY more posts as this journey proceeds, we'll all have fun. Did I mention we're already in 4 shows this year? Including Larz Anderson? LOL! No pressure.

BTW, one of the vokes refused the car for paint and body work. 2 reasons, its too 'old' (the kids in the program wouldn't care about it), and I'm "not in their area geographically". To wit I responded "I'm in your area geographically for tax purposes ergo I'm supporting the school", no comment. 2 other vokes in line, if they both blow me off I'll get the engine work done, tires and battery, stick on that script, and we're going to the shows anyway in 'sub-survivor mode', I don't care. I love the car and we're going. The right shop/person will come along in its perfect time to do the body/paint/roof.

I'm going to try to attach my live Facebook feed when the car went to Lou's Custom Exhaust, the first day I really drove it. First for fuel and to see Scott, then for an inspection sticker at his other garage, then to Lou's. This was the only time I've driven the car since the test drive a week earlier.

BE ADVISED - the language and comments are rated "R", you've been warned, enjoy! Laurie!
https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1545362905578853/

Great, the Facebook attachments work. Here's the car running after the new muffler was installed, the exhaust was actually bolted onto the manifold, and another 'leak' was found and welded.
https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1545382015576942/
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Since I can post Facebook links here, here you go.
BE ADVISED - language is rated "R" in some spots, very emotional night. The folks you hear me talking to are messaging live on Facebook as this was 'live'.
https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1542638592517951/

Saying good night the first night
https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1542654295849714/

The first ride to get fuel and a sticker. 10 *GALLONS* of fuel.. LOL!
https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1545290238919453/

Our day at Lou's Custom Exhaust right afterwards
https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1545362905578853/

And after the muffler work was done
https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1545382015576942/

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on January 02, 2018, 08:15:39 AM
I think Art has some very helpful advice here.

Laurie, as the number of topics you start grows, it will be hard to track what replies you have to what as things move down on the list.  As time goes by and you're 10 topics ahead, finding an answer you need on a past topic may get lost in the weeds, so to speak.  I think your path ahead is an ideal candidate for starting a blog in the restoration blog.

Starting one post, in the restoration blog, will allow us as forum members one place to go to see your progress and offer the best advice we can.  I know as someone who tries to offer advice where I can, I sometimes get lost trying to find a post I know I want to comment on but don't have the time right then and there to do so, and trying to find it later.

One restoration blog thread will help you keep organized.

If you want to start a blog, I'd be more than happy to merge all your threads into the one thread in the restoration blog to help you stay organized.

I think it would be an interesting thread.

LOVE your idea, thank you! It would be 'neater'. And I just posted videos too.
Thank you!
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Highwayman68

I can't get access to the videos on FB. I also can't find a Friend Request button on your FB page to hopefully gain access to the videos, I really want to see these videos as I am enjoying your endeavor here with your new toy.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Highwayman68 on January 03, 2018, 10:37:45 AM
I can't get access to the videos on FB. I also can't find a Friend Request button on your FB page to hopefully gain access to the videos, I really want to see these videos as I am enjoying your endeavor here with your new toy.

Sorry, I had to tighten up my FB page a while back. Message me and I'll send you a friend request!
If anyone else on FB can't see the vids because we're not "friends", message me for a friend request, just PLEASE say you're from this forum, thanks! Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 49er on January 03, 2018, 11:15:58 AM
I dont facebook , you tube, linkein, uface or anything even close. So i cant see them. My kids tell me, oh dad your so out of it. Just the way i like it. I tell my own kids, adults now, i dont care to know what you people are doing every single minute of the day. I do to my Caddys , old , slow, fat and out of shape, balding tires and gas tanks so large your bumping 100 bucks to fill one. These old Caddys seem to understand me. Oh dad, your just not with it. Perfect

Perfectly understandable. All those Caddy Facebook pages will miss you.....  ;)
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Yes! My first part arrived today! Trust me, I won't post pics of every delivery, but this is the first one, so... And my dining room is the designated storage depot until all the parts are installed. Hey, with the right lamp....

But that's beside the point, at this point in time, flash point, what's the point, make your point, point given, point taken, get the point, moot point, point of view, point of contact, tipping point, POINT OF NO RETURN!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

Glad you pointed that out!

BTW, I don't do Facebook either.  Hope you will continue to post pictures and narrative here as you go.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2