News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Laurie's 1970 Fleetwood Brougham Restoration

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 18, 2017, 03:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on January 04, 2018, 10:29:01 PM
Glad you pointed that out!

BTW, I don't do Facebook either.  Hope you will continue to post pictures and narrative here as you go.

LOL! Too bad, the videos are pretty cool.
Laurie

PS got 1 of 5 Summit boxes today.... yeah!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hey guys, I know several of you do body work. Was wondering if you could guesstimate how many gallons of paint, sealer etc would be necessary for the car? If it goes to a voke I'll obviously be responsible for buying the materials. And I've reached out to a couple of local body shops too, 1 is a start up, the owner is well regarded, and he's trying to make a name for himself. The other owns a completely correct numbers matching 70 hemi cuda so I know they're all about old cars.

Yes I'm cleaning the ice and snow off the tarp when it storms, can't wait to see my car again.

Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 49er on January 07, 2018, 12:52:22 PM
Painting a car is relative. What part of country, labor rates etc. Materials are expensive everywhere. You get what you pay for applies for sure. Cost commensurate with the shop chosen and the desire of the outcome acheived. I would think, you want a 70 flw done perfect, every inperfection taken out, then 7 mths from now wet sanded and polished would be 10 k plus. But thats only a guess. Im having a roof , hood and 2 fenders done on a 38 LaSalle, 4200. So its all relative

That's cool, sounds great! Just wondering how many gallons of paint/sealer goes into a 1970 Fleetwood....
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Dan LeBlanc

Number of gallons depends highly on what the mixing ratio is of the sprayable material.

For a 62 CDV, I had bought a gallon of Spies Hecker basecoat because it was the only manufacturer who could replicate the tri stage colour I wanted in a 2 stage.  I used other brands before.  Well, a gallon of that at a 1:1 ratio of basecoat to reducer yielded 2 gallons of sprayable material.  I had enough to do the coupe and another small car I was flipping at the time.  Had I used another colour in my normal brand at an 8:1/2:1 mixing ratio (8 parts base, to 1/2 part activator, to 1 part reducer), I would've needed much more basecoat.

If the colour on your Fleetwood is a low hiding colour, that will also dictate how much material you'll need.  Some manufacturers it could be, others it couldn't depending on their formula.

So, that's all going to depend largely on the painter and what he agrees to spray for you.  Your painter will be able to tell you.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on January 07, 2018, 11:43:51 PM
Just wondering how many gallons of paint/sealer goes into a 1970 Fleetwood....

Whatever the man at the vo-tech school says.  ;)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

David King (kz78hy)

I was having a hard time understanding what "voke" meant.  If it does mean vocational education, then the outcome of the car might be less than what is desirable.

My garage has in it the first car I did while taking auto body in 1977.  Dad was cheap with an exclamation point.  So the '64 Studebaker his mother bought new and he had stored away got to be painted in Connersville Vocational School while I was a student.  That car was my learning of auto body and painting skills.  Fast forward to today, the body itself has held up pretty good, the paint was bad then, and time has not helped at all.

If you don't mind a sander touching the trim now and then and a tape off that is almost close to what is supposed to be covered, then this is place for you. 

There is overspray on the weatherstriping of the Studebaker and the voids in paint on the rims where the wheel weights were, and those drive me nuts today; but it reminds me of a time and reinforces why details matter.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hey folks!

Just an update if you're interested on the painting saga. I'm back to work now so my net yakking/net shopping time is greatly reduced. SO GLAD I got done what I did and got all the parts here. The script and roof and readily available so those will wait until she heads to the beauty shop. Engine/misc work will get done after it comes out of the shop... I want it done before... I need to cajole my crew chief a bit more, we'll see.

NO voke will take the car, I've talked to 5 and a dear friend sits on the state advisory committee to the tech schools, not even his influence helps. Why... None will take a car this "old" (is there an age discrimination suit here?) and the kids aren't smart enough ergo can't stay focused long enough to do something like this. It was worth a try, I'm such a huge supporter of trade schools and wanted to help while they helped me. Whatever.

After finishing a morning of work related calls I spent the afternoon making calls for the car. Called 5 (five) big/local autobody collision shops. *THEY WON'T DO IT*  "Lady, I can get a crash in here today, spend 3 days bolting on new parts and a quick spray and I make 5 grand. YOUR car would take up space for a month and require my guys to think, I can't do it, sorry."

I'm not making this up.

So I called a "restoration" company down Cape, emailed pics. "No problem, about 12K".

HA! I could have BOUGHT a pristine 70 for less.

Called my friend who runs a custom exhaust shop, he did the exhaust work on The Ark, in tears. "Marc who do I call, what do I do." He said call his friend Mike who owns/runs Hyannis Vintage Restoration, "he's a Marine, you guys can bond." I'm dying, I'm like Marc all they do Barrett-Jackson, Mecum, Jay Leno cars, he won't even return my call...  "call him Laurie"

<sigh> So I called. "Mike? Semper Fi, Marc from Lou's told me to give you a call" you have the 70 Caddy, Navy right?
LONG chat on the phone... he asked for and received all my pics... he called me back, another LONG chat on the phone. Drove the point home this is not a frame off restoration, its a local car, a cruiser, a few local shows, drive ins, its my time capsule. Its not going to Barrett, Mecum or Concours, just a local vet's car to be driven and enjoyed, it just needs some love, it just needs a high end Macco job. And momma doesn't have an unlimited budget.

We live in the same town... he's coming HERE to see the car so I don't have to drive it on salty roads or pay to tow it there (and back if I can't afford him). Speaking of afford, he was very vocal that while he's pleased his shop is very busy doing 5 and 6 figure restorations for all the beautiful people, he wants people to know he WILL do classics like mine that are staying local and not going to big auction houses. And that's a piece of his business he's trying to expand, people like me are afraid to call him and he wants to change that. But why? If the high end market is so good why bother with us peons?

"Because everyone has the right to a nice car. When is your first show?" May, Larz Anderson. "OK, that's enough time."

Stay tuned.... prayers appreciated.
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

wrefakis

time for my 2 cents
70 Fleetwood the first Cadillac I ever drove brand new in October of 1969 (not mine of course ,we had no car or $ for gas)
can close my eyes and see all the ones I wanted and lost including the red sunroof car that ended up a new York city taxi
yea silver red leather vogue tires ,mauve double white, dark walnut tan 7 tan, Lucerne with white top and leather and so on, heck I took the long way to school just to see cadillacs

but 47 years later
I love your new England resolve but
love it or leave it
when you start on body work and rust repair it never ends
what you can see is 10 % of what is under the roof and moldings
I have a super nice 69 Fleetwood with low miles that needs some paint ,but rust free and I am going to leave it as a driver did the service and brake system good to go

the body shops do not want the car, because they know how involved it gets
I know also because in 1989 I sold a good buddy who owned the shop that did all my body work a super nice 90% rust free 69 Fleetwood
he loved it so much that he set out on a restoration in his own shop in 2009 when he closed it was 20$ later and 75% done
drive as is
enjoy

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: wrefakis on January 11, 2018, 11:21:05 AM
drive as is
enjoy

My thoughts exactly.

Put only what you absolutely must to make it an enjoyable driver; the rest into the "money-toward-a-better-70 Fleetwood fund". Not only will brain & wallet damage be reduced incalculably, the final result would not begin to compare to the unmolested original.

This advice made in utmost sincerity.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Hey guys,
I appreciate the input, truly.

My dad (RIP) dropped this car into my life for a reason. I know what the car is 'worth', I know what I've spent so far and how
far I'm willing to go, I won't cross that line. To me it looks icky with the bumps under the paint, and its not its correct color. We'll see what happens.

Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

59-in-pieces

I could not believe my eyes, reading your post a few back.
MARINES DON'T CRY.
What is all that about, (GI Jane, Demi Moore)- LOL - LMAO - tough "guy"
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on January 12, 2018, 12:22:40 PM
I could not believe my eyes, reading your post a few back.
MARINES DON'T CRY.
What is all that about, (GI Jane, Demi Moore)- LOL - LMAO - tough "guy"
Have fun,
Steve B.
Semper Fi, etc. I was Navy, we cry! LOL!
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Title came today, on my birthday, how many more signs do I need?
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

My dining room, 4 tires and a box of parts. Anyone else?

Though the 4 Coker tires all came from Summit and arrived on the same day, each pair is wrapped differently.
2 looked to be shrink wrapped and 2 loose wrapped. Called Summit, checked the numbers, they're the same tires.
Just wrapped differently. Would this freak anyone else out or am I just being a chick? Summit said they're all the same
and guaranteed for the life of the tread... just weird. Anyone?

Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

35-709

Laurie, here is a link to how to read tire date codes ---   https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI25661trX2AIVhrrACh2pTgaDEAAYASAAEgL1yvD_BwE&techid=11&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!231171456889!p!!g!!how%20to%20read%20tire%20dates&ef_id=WltvDAAAAYA-N9Yx:20180114145404:s

My opinion ---

I would say that if your new tires are all approximately the same date (and within a year or so of when you bought them), you are good to go.  A wide discrepancy between tire dates (a couple of years?) might be worth another call to Summit.

Another thought, due to their construction and the type of "rubber" compounds used, radial tires can and do deteriorate just sitting on the shelf.  10 year old (sometimes less) radials can be (are) dangerous no matter how much tread is left on them.

P.S. Happy Birthday!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on January 14, 2018, 10:05:13 AM
Laurie, here is a link to how to read tire date codes ---   https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI25661trX2AIVhrrACh2pTgaDEAAYASAAEgL1yvD_BwE&techid=11&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!231171456889!p!!g!!how%20to%20read%20tire%20dates&ef_id=WltvDAAAAYA-N9Yx:20180114145404:s

My opinion ---

I would say that if your new tires are all approximately the same date (and within a year or so of when you bought them), you are good to go.  A wide discrepancy between tire dates (a couple of years?) might be worth another call to Summit.

Another thought, due to their construction and the type of "rubber" compounds used, radial tires can and do deteriorate just sitting on the shelf.  10 year old (sometimes less) radials can be (are) dangerous no matter how much tread is left on them.

P.S. Happy Birthday!

Great info, thank you so much!
Laurie! (on her way to work on a Sunday)  >:(

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

WTL

I'd probably have like tires installed together on the front or rear. 

35-709

Absolutely!  I think Laurie's concern was that some had sat around for a while because of the different wrappings which I would want to clarify also.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on January 14, 2018, 01:40:33 AM
My dining room, 4 tires and a box of parts. Anyone else?

Though the 4 Coker tires all came from Summit and arrived on the same day, each pair is wrapped differently.
2 looked to be shrink wrapped and 2 loose wrapped. Called Summit, checked the numbers, they're the same tires.
Just wrapped differently. Would this freak anyone else out or am I just being a chick? Summit said they're all the same
and guaranteed for the life of the tread... just weird. Anyone?

Laurie

Look like 62880, if so looking good and good choice!!   ;D

Just don't lean the black part of tire on the whitewall when unwrappped, as it can mark up the whitewall...remind your tire person when installling :) Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T