News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1926 cadillac distributor

Started by MarkC, December 19, 2017, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkC

Hi everyone I am looking for a 1926 314 cadillac distributor including the drive gear to complete my engine , or if you know of a substitute that can be used , any help or information greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mark c

Carl Fielding

Hi Mark. How much is left of your original distributor ?  - Carl

MarkC

Hi Carl , unfortunately I having nothing not even the tower
Regards
Mark

Carl Fielding

I will get you going. Where are you ? Are you a C.L.C. Member ? Do you want total authenticity ? Much cheaper and easier to find '37-'39 Cad/LaSalle distributors plug right in , look ancient enough to fool almost anyone , and the cars run better and are easier to tune.  - Carl

MarkC

Hi Carl , thanks mate I am in Sydney Australia , no total authenticity not required, thanks for the tip do you have one ? I will start to look for one
Many thanks Mark
Ps is the drive gear the same on the 37-39 ?

Carl Fielding

Gear is same , the '37-'39 drop right in. But you still will need the tower. Do you know any pre-war Cadillac people in Australia ? The problem in brief with the original distributors is pot metal. Every part for them is available here , now produced in durable metal. Having one put together , new , might cost $2000 or more. $1500 for a total rebuild on a shabby core with blown out cups. The '37-'39 are cast iron , and have no vulnerability issues. I would guess you could get one for , maybe $150. Later than '39 , with vacuum advance will not work. If you are in CLC , check with members there before looking around the world. There are 314 Cads in Australia , perhaps the tower may be found locally. Naturally , there are more 314 parts cars here , I suspect the tower is more abundant. Let's see what may be near you , and if not , we will find one here. If you are not yet CLC , join up ! Please tell us more about your Cad. Body style , condition , history ?  Pictures ? These are strong reliable cars. My 1927 treats me well ! It is an unrestored original !   - Carl

MarkC

Thanks for your help Carl will check out here in Aus first my car is a 7 seat limo right hand drive from factory its a full resto but is a good base to start with has done few miles and been looked after pretty well
I also have a 31 v12 phaeton that I finished restoring 12 months ago , love it
Regards
Mark

MarkC

Hi Carl nice car too - original incredible !

Steve Passmore

Several of these later distributors have been on eBay lately. 3 towers still on there if the later ones do fit?.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Carl Fielding

This is the tower on a 1926 engine. You can see it is quite different from the monoblock towers. I don't think it will be difficult to find the correct one. That is why I suggest local inquiries first. Usually if there are engine bones lying around , the tower has a good chance of survival. It is robust. Of course you may have already worked the "Old Boys" , and beating the Australian bushes is not a simple cross-town jaunt. With the Holiday Season approaching frantic hour , on my end , I can almost certainly (99%) , find one here early next year.

What gorgeous work you do , Mark ! Dale Mackie on Vancouver island , British Columbia , recently restored a '27 limo. You guys are master craftsmen ! I have no such skills. That is why I have to find well preserved originals.

Do you need any other parts ?   - Carl

MarkC

Thanks Carl for the offer will see how I go and keep in touch , I also need steering arm that hangs off the side of the steering box , mine is not correct length. Also the advance and throttle levers on the steering wheel , I don't have any of that assembly. Thanks and merry Christmas
Mark

MarkC

Thanks Steve , for the tip on eBay , appreciated
Mark

Carl Fielding

There were several steering boxes along the way for 314s. Looking at your fenders , they do not have the tool and battery boxes unique to 1926. Nor are there apron 'boxes. First we need to know some numbers. Do you have a '26 or '27 instrument panel ? '27 was unique and beautiful. Here is shown how fortunate I am to have this never re-shellacked example.   - Carl

MarkC

I have the same dash as yours , the body , steering box etc is all 27 the motor has been changed and is a late 26