News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 fog light switch

Started by 5390john, December 20, 2017, 01:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5390john

The last thing I need to get working properly in my electrical system, '55 CDV, is the fog light switch.
Anybody ever taken one of them apart? It appears that one of the internal contact points isn't conductive.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

J. Gomez

Quote from: 5390john on December 20, 2017, 01:36:11 AM
The last thing I need to get working properly in my electrical system, '55 CDV, is the fog light switch.
Anybody ever taken one of them apart? It appears that one of the internal contact points isn't conductive.
John Adams

John,

Going from memory the fog light switch is just a rotating brass piece inside an insulator with a small spring very simple.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

5390john

J.
You're correct, very easy. In case anyone else ever needs to see what the guts look like, see attached photos. These were taken after cleaning 63 years worth of surface "gunk" off the contact surfaces.
Works great now!!
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

papas52cad

Hello
I have a 52 Fleetwood, and I believe I have this fog light switch/knob, it is below the wiper knob. But it just spins and seems very loose. I assume what is shown in this photo is similar to mine, can you comment further on how this knob should work, feel when turning..does the shaft just spin and a contact hits various contact points shown in your photo.

The location of the switch is not easily accessible from under dash any suggestions on making it work is appreciated..are replacements available?

I am assuming my smaller lights ( also turn indicator lamps) are fog lamps and dimmable..see attached
Thx
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

5390john

I have no knowledge of the '52 wiring. The fog light switch on my '55 is an additional component part added to the headlight switch assembly. It is actuated by an additional knob behind the knob that pulls out to turn on the headlights. The knob that operates the fog lights rotates to one of 2 positions.
In order to have access to the headlight/fog light switch assembly on my '55, the dash cover has to be removed, which makes diagnosing/repairing the assembly a fairly involved operation. Not especially difficult if you are pretty familiar with your car, but it is not a small undertaking.
Hope this helps......
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

papas52cad

Thank you John for your reply
In this case then the 52's wiring is quite different as mine is a separate switch, just another item I am trying to understand in my newly aquifer caddy. Spoke to Craig, at McVeys and he is the one who informed me the knob was for fog light intensity adjusting, that's all I know.
Stay well, good luck on your effort. I can tell you I won't be disassembling my dash to do any repairs...too many potential problems
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

5390john

Peter:
I would strongly suggest getting a complete service manual for your car and a parts book that covers 1952 as well. Many of the finer points of dealing with old cars are not covered very well in the various service manuals and "learning by doing" is often the only way to go.
The electrical systems in cars of the early to mid '50's are extremely simple compared to today's cars. I have found that the most maddening problems are usually caused by bad connectors, faulty grounds, and especially, corroded switch contacts. These issues are usually very easy to repair, but finding them can make you nuts. Wise to become familiar with "continuity", and is "power" there.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

papas52cad

Hello john
The seller of my car indluded the 1952 shop manual, is that what you are referring to?. The only info in this manual is about aiming the lamps following the general description paragraph. The parking lights do turn on in the 1st detent headlight switch knob position, as do the turn signals from these same lamps as selected...my manual states the fog lamps may be use when the switch is adjusted to parking light position. As I said the knob "free wheels" when turned left or right without any affect on brightness of these lamps, perhaps the brightness is not as perceivable as I would expect or want. But when this knob is turned nothing seems to happen to brightness and just spins.
Thx for your guidance
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: papas52cad on December 28, 2017, 04:56:56 PM
Hello john
As I said the knob "free wheels" when turned left or right without any affect on brightness of these lamps, perhaps the brightness is not as perceivable as I would expect or want. But when this knob is turned nothing seems to happen to brightness and just spins.
Thx for your guidance
Peter

This may sound silly, but check the Allen screw that connects the finned knob to the tubular shaft of the headlight/foglight switch.  If the screw is backed out, the knob will spin relative to the tubular shaft and will never turn the fog lights on because it will never move the fog light switch innards to the "on" position.

As I recall from working on the switch of my 55 this past summer, the main knob for the headlight switch has an integral shaft that is quite skinny.  It is slipped inside of a tubular shaft that protrudes but a short distance through the dash.  The securing nut holds the outer tubular shaft to the bezel.  The inner tubular shaft rides inside of that outer tubular shaft.  Sometime they seize together and you might need to spray some WD40 in there.  The finned knob for the fog lights operates the inner tubular shaft.

I hope this helps...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

papas52cad

Hello Art
Thanks for your reply. Seems that maybe the 55 has just one knob, on my 52 the knob that controls fog lamp brightness is separate..
See attached photos, the 1st shows the single knob to the left, that is for turning on headlamp and fog lamps, 1st detent is fog/ turn signal lamps, 2nd pull brings it to headlamp operation.
In second photo you see 2 knobs on left, the top one ( with hole in it - I believe for window washer washer which I don't have.) the knob below is for fog lamp bright press which is the one that just spins on its axis...I don't know more that.
If you have NY other ideas I am all ears.
Thank you again for suggestion.
1952 Fleetwood

Caddy Wizard

I am confused.  I thought we were diagnosing a faulty 55 headlight/foglight switch.  Here is what my dash looked like on my prior 50 sedan.  It had fog lights and I think the fog light switch was under the dash there on the left, below the wiper switch.  I have never worked on one of those, but is should be just like the fog light portion of the 55 switch -- a switch that has essentially two positions, off and on and should be easy to repair.  ...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

papas52cad

Hello Art
Yes correct it was a 55 but I jumped in sorry if I hijacked this thread that was not my intention just was looking for help on my 52, I forgot to share photos, seems your 50 is similar...
Here is mine
1st showing headlight switch
2nd show fog light dimmer below wiper knob.
As I said this knob just free wheels without any affect on brightness, and it is a bear to get to the rear of dash...unless u have a suggestion it will remain dormant.
Thx
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

Roger Zimmermann

The operation of the lights is certainly explained in the owner's manual. To me it seems a bit silly that the brightness from the fog lamps can be adjusted...Usually those lamps, like the headlamps are either on or off. Are you not confusing the brightness from the instrument panel illumination?
By the way, your '52 das is looking fantastic!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

papas52cad

Hi roger
I know what you mean, I was unsure of what that lower knob did so I was told Craig at McVeys as a 1952 expert and he is the one who told me what it was for.
The dash brightness as explained in manual can be adjusted by the headlamp knob, of course one does not work, but perhaps As mentioned in a previous post there is something I should look at...I am just happy to have all lights working, I do have an issue with the door switches, but that is for another day..as I keep chasing g these ghosts.
Stay well and happy New Years. Thx for the compliment. It does look great and a testament to previous owners hard work.
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

jdemerson

Peter,
    This message is about 1952 (NOT 1955) fog lights. The messages that comment on the 1952 light switches are correct. There are two switches on the dash; one is for headlights and dash lights, and the second is for fog lights.

• To use fog lights, the headlight must be just half way out (parking lights position). Rotating the headlight switch controls brightness of instrument panel lights.
  • The fog light switch simply turns on the fog lights. I don't believe that the fog lights are dim-able. They are either on or off. I think the fog light switch does rotate freely, and the rotation doesn't control anything.
  • I am writing this from memory, as my '52 is in storage and is not accessible this morning.

Best of luck!
John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

papas52cad

Hello john
Thank for jumping in.
In my 52, when I pull headlamp knob out half way the small fog/ turn signal  lamps do come on (rather dim IMO as fog lamps go...). But for the knob just below the wiper operation knob - does it do something more for fog light operation? As noted and you confirm it just spins freely...and in my case it does not appear to pull in or out, but I have been gentle in that case so as to not cause unneeded damage...
I am trying to understand if there is some combination of operation between these 2 knobs for best operation of fog light.
I appreciate your help given you have the same car.
Peter
1952 Fleetwood