News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Repairing Today's Cars.

Started by e.mason, December 21, 2017, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Ken when you get "old and decrepit" you just pay someone to do the mntx on the house! I lived in a condo for 22 years, high rise, 'nice' condo. Was on the Board 4 times. I'd live in a tent before I'd live in a condo again. Give me a house. Blessed my house is my dream house and paid for. If something starts to go amiss its pounced on instantly and fixed, its a military thang. Anything major, I'm a contractor, the labor is free and the parts are at cost, blessed. I have numerous clients that are widows and in houses 5 times larger than they need, but its "their home", where they raised the kids, etc. They won't leave. Its my responsibility to keep their home 100% and safe. Of course if/when I see my client a safety issue to themselves, and knowing they'd be safer with family or in assisted living, I rat them out to the kids and don't feel bad about it. If one of my 'seasoned citizens' ever fell or had a life threatening issue that went unnoticed and resulted in their injury or death, I'd never be able to live with myself.

What the heck this has to do with repairing today's cars is beyond me, LOL!

Laurie!
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Bobby B

Quote from: e.mason on December 30, 2017, 06:52:08 PM
Having a deed to a home, means you have the privilege of paying real estate taxes, doing the landscaping, get the repairs i.e. water heater, A/C etc., repaired.
You're paying real estate taxes weather you own it or not, somehow through a fee or included in your rent. Landscaping hidden in your monthly maintenance fee/rent. How do you get around repairs without paying?

Quote from: e.mason on December 30, 2017, 06:52:08 PM
Those of us that chose to give up ownership of a house, only have the benefit of having more time to enjoy our prides and joys.

Lift the hood of your car in a condo parking lot and see how fast one of your "neighbors" drops a dime on you or reports you to the "board". If you're renting, most landlords have a clause in your lease that says "NO" working on vehicles in the driveway for insurance reasons.

I will own a house as long as I can.  And when I can't keep up with it anymore, I would have to share a shop or work space with someone off premises. Most landlords, boards, (and generally angry people), do not want you working on your vehicles on their property or anywhere in sight.
I need my Freedom and will work 2 jobs if I have to to keep it. My only regret was not getting five acres instead of one!  >:D
                                                                                                                                                       Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Bobby B on December 30, 2017, 11:56:30 PM
Lift the hood of your car in a condo parking lot and see how fast one of your "neighbors" drops a dime on you or reports you to the "board". If you're renting, most landlords have a clause in your lease that says "NO" working on vehicles in the driveway for insurance reasons.

BINGO! I've been the 'bad cop enforcer' for the miscreants working on vehicles in condo parking lots and rented properties, house and apartment.

Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Bobby B

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on December 31, 2017, 12:01:57 AM
BINGO! I've been the 'bad cop enforcer' for the miscreants working on vehicles in condo parking lots and rented properties, house and apartment.
Laurie

Laur,
I couldn't live with myself being a hypocrite..... ::)
                                                           Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Bobby B on December 31, 2017, 12:03:53 AM
Laur,
I couldn't live with myself being a hypocrite..... ::)
                                                           Bobby

Hypocracy pays my bills, buys me nice cars and the money to fix them up.
>:D
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Glen

One thing to keep in mind is no matter if you are talking about leasing a car or renting a house the owner is not losing money.  As a landlord myself I know.  Despite a $1000+ worth of plumbing repairs and an $800 refrigerator this year, I still made money on that unit.  I heard through the grape vine the tenant was smiling saying he was glad to not have to pay those bills.  He does not understand he did pay those bills and then some.  Not all at once but over the whole year.   
Paying a mortgage, you are building up equity.  I could not buy the house I live in now, nor could I pay the rent on my rental unit.  I could not live here on my retirement if I was renting.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Bobby B

Quote from: Glen on December 31, 2017, 01:31:01 AM
One thing to keep in mind is no matter if you are talking about leasing a car or renting a house the owner is not losing money.  As a landlord myself I know.  Despite a $1000+ worth of plumbing repairs and an $800 refrigerator this year, I still made money on that unit.  I heard through the grape vine the tenant was smiling saying he was glad to not have to pay those bills.  He does not understand he did pay those bills and then some.  Not all at once but over the whole year.   
Paying a mortgage, you are building up equity.  I could not buy the house I live in now, nor could I pay the rent on my rental unit.  I could not live here on my retirement if I was renting.

Glen,
Nicely said....
             Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Bobby B on December 31, 2017, 01:33:31 AM
Glen,
Nicely said....               Bobby 
X 2.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Never paid rent in my life, and paid cash for all my cars, except one, and, boy, did I learn from that one.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

e.mason

Quote from: Bobby B on December 30, 2017, 11:56:30 PM
You're paying real estate taxes weather you own it or not, somehow through a fee or included in your rent. Landscaping hidden in your monthly maintenance fee/rent. How do you get around repairs without paying?

I will own a house as long as I can.  And when I can't keep up with it anymore, I would have to share a shop or work space with someone off premises. Most landlords, boards, (and generally angry people), do not want you working on your vehicles on their property or anywhere in sight.
I need my Freedom and will work 2 jobs if I have to to keep it. My only regret was not getting five acres instead of one!  >:D
                                                                                                                                                       Bobby

#Very true, that weather you own or rent.  You have to pay real estate taxes and maintenance, either directly or indirectly.  The major difference is that with renting.  You know what it is going to cost you for a year.  No surprises.  You don't have to worry about your A/C breaking then having to spend thousands to have it replaced.  All repairs to your dwelling, have to be taken care of by your landlord.

#Yes you do have to give up the right to do any work on your car.  Not to forget that most times you won't have a garage to put your pride and joy in.

#Eventually we all will reach an age, where we neither have the time nor the inclination to devote as much time to our prides and joys as we have in the past.
Eric Mason

e.mason

Quote from: Glen on December 31, 2017, 01:31:01 AM

Build up equity?  Tell that to someone that purchased a home around 2005-2007.  They saw their equity fall by as much as 50% and still haven't seen their property rebound to what they paid for it.

A home is not an investment.  Its where you live.  Its not like buying a stock and wait for it to grow.  A stock doesn't cost you anything as long as  you hold onto it.  On the other hand a house constantly costs you money, in upkeep and repairs.
Eric Mason

e.mason

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 31, 2017, 04:01:20 AM
X 2.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Never paid rent in my life, and paid cash for all my cars, except one, and, boy, did I learn from that one.

Not like that in the USA.  Buying on credit and living above our means is the American way.
Eric Mason

mario

Quote from: e.mason on January 01, 2018, 05:39:53 PM
Build up equity?  Tell that to someone that purchased a home around 2005-2007.  They saw their equity fall by as much as 50% and still haven't seen their property rebound to what they paid for it.

A home is not an investment.  Its where you live.  Its not like buying a stock and wait for it to grow.  A stock doesn't cost you anything as long as  you hold onto it.  On the other hand a house constantly costs you money, in upkeep and repairs.

The thing about the 2000's, besides being caught up in the mortgage scams, I believe they bought something they couldn't afford. Those folks should have been renters, not owners.
I do know that in 1972 I paid upper 5 figures for a brand new 4 bedroom, 3 bath, two story house. 45 years went by and nearby comps are 4200% more than what I paid.
Maintenance  on a brand new house is not much. And through the years there are maintenance expenses,  But it is an investment. A long term one.  But I guess that is why there is Chocolat and vanilla. I learned a long time ago, own your home and a couple of rentals and let your tenants buy them for you.
ciao,
Mario caimotto
How many homes have you owned?

e.mason

Quote from: mario on January 01, 2018, 06:32:47 PM
The thing about the 2000's, besides being caught up in the mortgage scams, I believe they bought something they couldn't afford. Those folks should have been renters, not owners.
I do know that in 1972 I paid upper 5 figures for a brand new 4 bedroom, 3 bath, two story house. 45 years went by and nearby comps are 4200% more than what I paid.
Maintenance  on a brand new house is not much. And through the years there are maintenance expenses,  But it is an investment. A long term one.  But I guess that is why there is Chocolat and vanilla. I learned a long time ago, own your home and a couple of rentals and let your tenants buy them for you.
ciao,
Mario caimotto
How many homes have you owned?

The thing about the 2000's is that EVERYONE was affected by the real estate bubble.  It didn't matter if they were buying or paid cash  They saw their home value go down in value significantly and most still aren't back to square one.

Yes owning rental properties can be profitable.  Not for me though.  When you are a landlord, your tenants problems become your problems.  Rather stick with investing (stock market), where there are no repercussions.
Eric Mason