News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Transmission modulator for 69 deville

Started by MH69Coupe, December 22, 2017, 01:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MH69Coupe

My Modulator hose has cracks and I do see some transmission fuild in that vac pipe. I have not checked inside the modulator yet if there is fuild.

Has anyone tried replacing this with a new part on the market? There is none available from Delco. Winchester quoted me ATP brand. Any suggestions?

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadillacmike68

They are all smaller than the original ones, but they do work and most are adjustable.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

MH69Coupe

Got my Delco today and it comes with the new elbow vac hose. Ready to rock'n'roll guys!!! Thanks everyone and Happy X-mas all.

MH69Coupe

Guys I have seen some trans oil leaks. Upon close inspection i noticed the vacuum elbow at the modulator had a crack and oil coming out of it.

Now I would assume there should not be any oil in this vac line. When i took off the rubber elbow I noticed the oil coming from the modulator. So there should not be any oil coming from there correct?

Second, is it normal for trans oil to start leaking when u take the modulator out???

cadillacmike68

There should be no oil on the vacuum line side of the modulator, but there can be some on the trans side.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

MH69Coupe

I will check the vac side in few days.

When i took the modulator out the trans oil was coming out pretty consistently and evenly and I had to put the new one in to stop as it wouldn’t stop otherwise. Ended up putting 1/2 pint back in. Is it normal?

I drove the car after that with no leaks.

bcroe

Yes fluid comes out.  I try to get the front of the car high to reduce it. 
Otherwise you can drain a quart, put it back later (like some dont
approve of).  Oh, I have added drains to my TH400s to help.

Bruce Roe

MH69Coupe

Thanks!!!

Btw, there is a orange wire that connects into a switch on the transmission from the left side. Any idea what this is for?

Glen

The transmission pan has no drain plug, so I pull the modulator to drain the fluid down some before I pull the pan.  So yes it is normal for fluid to come out when the modulator is removed. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

69Deville

Orange wire is for the downshift switch. Connects up at the carb on the drivers side.
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

35-709

This is a picture of the downshift switch that is mounted at the carburetor on the driver's side (assuming the '69 is the same as pictured).  If the switch is there but the black plastic lever is broken off, you will need a new switch.  The adjustment procedure for this switch is in your shop manual.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2