News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

69 Sedan Deville Hardtop

Started by drohalloran, March 16, 2018, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drohalloran

Hi Guys! New to the world of Cadillac, but not to the world of restoring cars. Just picked up a car I've lusted after for years, a 69 Deville hardtop. The car is in....ok shape, but I plan on refreshing it. First area to attack is the bodywork which shows typical rust and wear for a car that has spent many years outside in the NE of the US. It's not as bad as it could be, but not great either. I'm going to replace the sheetmetal that I can and patch what I have to, after that it's going into the spray booth for a new coat of paint. Interior is a 6/10 with the leather showing the typical decay of an almost 50 year old car, so off it goes to be reskinned.

I guess my primary question here is: for those that have knowledge of this model/year anything that I should be particularly worried or careful about?

Thanks guys! I look forward to being a part of this forum!

-Sean

savemy67

Hello Sean,

Welcome to the forum.  I have a '67 Sedan DeVille hardtop, and have owned a '69 convertible.  Off the top of my head, I can't recall that there are many peculiarities to this model year.  The front fenders are prone to rust aft of the front wheels.  If you have a vinyl roof, you may have rust underneath the vinyl.  The cam sprocket may need to be checked to see if the nylon has separated from the steel.  A scope is handy for this.

How many miles are on the car?  Can you post some photos?  Good luck with your project.  69s are good looking cars.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Congratulations. Be sure to post some pictures.
Please read the posts on the timing gears. They need to be replaced.
Most importantly, have fun.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

drohalloran

Thanks guys!! No pics at the moment...it was a kismet scenario that had me land on the car. I went to look at another car the previous owner had listed, and saw the 69.....and well....I had a change of heart instantly and worked to strike a deal! In my frantic excitement I left without even taking a single picture hahahahah

This car has 90K miles on it and a fairly poor quality respray although it is still in Cotillion white.

I definitely noticed some penetrating rust throughout the the lower fenders and there was some spots around the rear window that look suspect. Not sure how it's going to be dealt with to be honest.

The plan is to start prepping the body for paint ASAP. My thinking right now is to change the color from Cotillion white to Biscay Aqua Firemist BUT I would like to add a Cotillion white tuxedo grain vinyl top despite the car not having one originally.

Here's my question, how would I even go about adding that top? I know the vinyl material is available but how hard is it to source the frame pieces and trim?

D.Smith

73.1% of the deVilles had the vinyl top option in 1969 so your chances of a parts car having the moldings are pretty good. 

Lower front fender rust is common.  Same for at the bottom corners of the rear glass where rain water rests and rusts.   You'll need to pop out the rear window to fix the rust properly. Plus that will allow you to see if any tiny rust thru holes have developed in those corners.

What color is the interior?   

drohalloran

Thanks for the tips on the rear window!!!

The interior is white leather with black carpets, not my favorite but I think with the Biscay aqua it will look nice .

The roof was rust free so I'm wondering if this car was one of the 26.9% that didn't have a top? Who knows.

Another question though, did they all have full vinyl or did some have that cabriolet roof?

D.Smith

Quote from: drohalloran on March 19, 2018, 09:49:09 AM
Thanks for the tips on the rear window!!!

The interior is white leather with black carpets, not my favorite but I think with the Biscay aqua it will look nice .

The roof was rust free so I'm wondering if this car was one of the 26.9% that didn't have a top? Who knows.

Another question though, did they all have full vinyl or did some have that cabriolet roof?

The molding around the rear window was usually different on cars with a vinyl top.   Most years those moldings had a partially grained edge to match the grain on the top.  Not sure about 69 SDVs.   So look at your moldings. 

The only optional vinyl top on sedans was a full top with halo edge in body color.   The Halo edge moldings may be hard to put on a car that didn't come with a vinyl top from the factory.   I'm sure most trim shops will try and talk you into just have a full width top put on.

Below is Nick Warns 69 SDV in Persian Aqua with white top and white leather.  It is stunning!

D.Smith

Here is a closer view of how the halo style vinyl top moldings look.

drohalloran

Wow that persian aqua is stunning.

That is really the look I'm going for. I like Cotillion white.....but the 69 in those aqua colors looks so outrageous.

Thank you so much for your info. I love the halo effect, but I can see what you mean about that trim, I have no clue where I'd ever dig that up. I'm going to have to take a look at the back window and see what the story is, but my guess is I'll have to figure out some other trim option if I do indeed go with the vinyl top option (which after looking at these pics, how could I not??)