News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Build Sheet categories

Started by gk519, December 25, 2017, 05:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gk519

I have a 1961 62 Series 4-window that I recently purchased, I just received the Build Sheet from the GM Heritage Center, but I'm having difficulty in defining the categories listed on the right side do to them being blurry/smudged.
Specifically the last category, and also, does anyone know why there's a (1) marked in the line listed after that last category?... what is this for, its only marked on (6) of the (35) cars that are on the page?

P. Manoogian

Interesting a 4 dr. 62 with a trunk pull down. Is it still there? Does it work?
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

gk519

Yes trunk release is there, but not operating... yet.
First order of business was getting the turn signals and brake lights working.

P. Manoogian

Release only or does it have the pull down too? The 61 pull down is a one year item.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Release only is a dealer-installed item which would not appear on the build sheet.

Power trunk lock checked on build sheet means the car left factory with pull down, glove box release and trunk (open) telltale indicator on instrument cluster.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gk519

It has a rather large motor below the trunk latch, I'm assuming it pulls down to seat the deck lid once it's made contact with the latch, and yes, it has the trunk light indicator on the dash.
There's no arm to pull the deck lid down from a fully open position, at least I haven't noticed any.
If anyone has some additional information on this I'd appreciate knowing more.

P. Manoogian

Eric, my 61 was missing its pull down but had the release. When the micro switches failed, as they so often do, I surmise the "fix" was to install a non power latch as was the case with my car. The pull down was one of the hardest items to find and mine was sourced out of Sweden. He is lucky to have both in place, even if he must have them repaired.

Fully automatic trunk in which the lid fully opened & closed itself without manually having to lift/lower the lid was exclusive Eldorado Brougham in 1957 & 1958 only.

That is different system from the power pulldown feature which simply locked the lid when the lid was lowered by hand which was used on all other models having power trunk lock option.

gk519

Thanks again Eric,.. you're quite the wealth of knowledge.
Do you have any info on the original question about the build sheet categories?

Glad to be of help.

The car is equipped with Basic Group B which includes Air Conditioner, White Sidewall Tires, Heater, Radio and E-Z Eye Glass. Also equipped with "Power Group" 2 which includes Dor-Guards, and Power Headlamp Control (Guidematic).

Since power windows and power seat were optional and not standard equipment items on closed body style Series 62 models, these would need to be ordered separately if desired which are both indicated on the build sheet. Also the car was ordered with anti freeze and of course, power trunk lock which is a fairly rare option in 1961. (Power trunk lock was optional beginning in 1956 and was electrically operated until 1961. From 1962 until 1973, the power truck lock used a mechanical ratcheting spring mechanism that did not use electric power)

I'm afraid I have no explanation for the final "1" all the way in the right column which has no heading.

Here is the full 1961 sales data book from GM Archives. It will tell you almost everything there is to know about 1961 models, equipment, color and upholstery selections specific to each model.

Information on equipment groups are listed on page number 51. ( Page 61 of the pdf file).

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Cadillac/1961_Cadillac_VVI.pdf

HTH, Eric

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I sold Juanda Kneller my repro 1941 Data Book as a Christmas present for Lars and suggested that she try Staples to punch the pages for the plastic spine holder which I'd hoped that they would have as well. If you '61 guys are going to print out the pages that Eric provided, you might give your local Staples a call.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville