News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'60 water pump differences?

Started by David Greenburg, December 27, 2017, 03:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

According to the parts book, there are different numbers for a/c and non-a/c cars.  Does anyone know what the difference is?  I'm having a core that came off the car a while back rebuilt, so I know it fits, but I don't know if it is in fact the correct pump for my car, or whether that even matters.   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Dan LeBlanc

If I recall correctly, the a/c cars have a beefed up shaft, hub, and bearing to support the extra load of the compressor on the belt drive system.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Roger Zimmermann

In my opinion, the sole difference is the location of the pulley's flange on the shaft. I once discussed with Mr. Terrill and he told me that the flange is not solid but can be adjusted (with a press) for cars with or without A/C. 
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David Greenburg

That is interesting.  Might explain why the non-original water pump installed in Las Vegas last year’s always looked slightly “wobbly” as it is advertised as fitting both a/c and non-a/c cars.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

gkhashem

David I used an after market pump for approximately 30 miles until I got my original rebuilt.

The after market pump besides the plug on one side which is not on the original, extended out further on my non AC car. So much so I did not like how the pulleys and belts aligned. So I think the comment on the location of the pulleys is spot on.  However I think the location of the flange was not the issue on the after market unit. The hub was thicker on the after market one than my original and made the pulley extend out further.

So I did not drive the car until I got my original back on for worry that my generator and/or powering steering pump might be harmed by the "misalignment".

Also the reason the after market pumps come with the brass adapter fittings is that there are some variances between inlet and outlet fittings from the earlier engines to the later ones in 1959. They may be all the same in 1960.

I think the after market units should be avoided and only used as a last resort since they appear to be a one size fits all deal.

Here is a photo of the after market unit. Notice the plug and the threaded adapter to handle the different outlet sizes from earlier to later made car.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

76eldo

Never knew there was a difference.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Caddyholic

I thought the difference was in the thickness of the hub itself.  To looks like the aftermarket pump has the ports for the cars with rear heat like  series 75 and cc.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

gkhashem

Sorry its the hub or maybe I do not know the term. Whatever you attach the fan to with the bolts. The aftermarket pump was thicker than my original so the pulley and belts stuck out further from the center than the power steering pump and generator pulleys.

So excuse my error in terminology if I am being clear. Sorry for my incorrect description.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

David Greenburg

George-

That explanation of the aftermarket pump makes sense.  Perhaps the hub is designed to be somewhere in between the spec for a/c and non-a/c.  After theaftermarket pump was put on, I always thought the pulley had a slight wobble to it.  And after my car threw its belts, but before I realized the pump shaft was bent, I did have a very difficult time trying to get the belts on; the pulley would not quite line up right.  Given these issues, im real glad I’m getting the original pump rebuilt, although I’m still waiting to get it back.  They called a couple of days ago saying they were waiting on payment info, which I pointed out I had given them on 12/20.  Oops!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville