News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

where to buy replacement parts for a 53 Caddy

Started by thinxman, December 28, 2017, 06:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinxman

Hello, so i have had the caddy ( 53 series 62 4 door sedan) for about 2 weeks now and I'm ready to start diving into restoring it.  With this said I will need to start ordering replacement parts.  I'm looking to buy the following items so if anyone can provide places where they have had good luck with ordering parts from please share.

replacement battery

Complete drum brake system

Replacement front end parts

Replacement carpet

Possibly motor parts

If you know of any reputable machine shops in Massachusetts or the New England area i would like to know of them as well in case i need the motor rebuilt.

thank you

Tommy

Pancho R

Hi, You can get the carpets or on Ebay or SMS Auto Fabrics. As I'm new to this to I can't help you with the rest. Try Caddy Daddy, they seam to have a lot. Good luck.
1952 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1959 Chevrolet Apache 3200 Fleetside

Barry M Wheeler #2189

What you need to do is start in a little slower. Jumping into the first things you see might get you items that are priced at more than you might need to pay. Or, you might get something "wrong." '53s have some of the worst pieces of cast trim around. And this is not a hobby that you find what you want at one place. You have to remember that Cadillacs were scarce compared to even Buicks, much less Chevrolets and Fords. Just relax a little and get acquainted with your car. (And welcome to our family.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

J. Gomez

Tommy,

There is a list of Cadillac vendors at the MCLC forum that would be of help in your search. You can access the forum here -> http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/ once you register.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Is this your first restoration or have you been down this road before?
I have been working on a 55 since July and planned to have it on the road well before now. As stated above, slow down a bit. I don't know how your budget is but look at getting it driving before you dive into the interior. If you dont already, your first purchase needs to be a manual. Not a Chiltons but a real shop manual. You will find some parts that you think are expensive to be cheap and others will amaze you at how much something simple costs.
I went thru the car and wrote down what I needed on a sheet of notebook paper (I am too old school to make a spreadsheet). Then I wrote down the prices of what I needed from various places. Then I ordered everything at once to save on the shipping.
I got brake cylinders from OPGI, brake lines and brake hardware (springs, pins, etc) from my local Carquest. O'Rielleys was able to turn my drums.

Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

thinxman

thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated.

Tommy

Giant Jason

If you're looking for used parts, go to Houston.craigslist.com and there you will find a salvage yard that specializes in caddies. From a brief look, he's got a 55,56,62,64,65,66,68,69,70, etc caddy- series 62, devilles, eldos, Fleetwood's, etc.  Tons of stuff at reasonable prices. Though, I agree with going slow. Every problem I fix leads me to finding other issues... lol.
Jason

bullet bob

I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but we do have a "for sale" section. Go up and click on 'Forum Home' then scroll down to the for sale section http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?board=3.0
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Jay Friedman

Though there are many others, as previous posters mentioned, here are my suggestions for some of the parts you listed:

replacement battery:
https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/cadillac/deville/1953/v8-5.4l-400cca/sli3ee

Complete drum brake system: https://www.kanter.com/

Replacement front end parts: https://www.kanter.com/

Replacement carpet: SMS Oregon

Possibly motor parts: Terrill Machine, DeLeon, Texas; Egge Machine, California; https://www.kanter.com/
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: bullet bob on December 29, 2017, 07:34:10 AM
I'm not sure if you are aware of it, but we do have a "for sale" section.

Yes, exactly. There is also a "Wanted" section. If you need something, post it there. I have been saved a couple of times by club members---- Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

thinxman

Thank you for the great suggestions.

This is my first classic resto.  I have built a handfull of hotrods (1970s Novas and 1980s Malibu Classics) in the 80's and 2 old Triumph Bonneville motorcycles (hard tail choppers).  This car got my juices flowing to work on cars again.

My plan is to get this running again.  It last ran in 1984 when my father in-law put it in the garage.  I know what mechanical parts it needs now except for motor and tranny parts which i wont know until i get it running.  The body is in excellent shape except for 1 or 2 chrome trim pieces, the interior is in tact just smells like moth balls and mildew, so right now my goal is to get it running and to make it safe to drive.

I do have a budget set for this project.  I too use spreadsheets for keeping track of parts needed and costs for the replacements along with the suppliers i want to purchase from.

I did order the shop manual for this car and I am looking forward to its arrival so I can get familiar with it. 

Thank you,

Tommy

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."