News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Night Vision. Did it work?

Started by mistertudball, December 28, 2017, 07:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistertudball

I searched but didn't find much about Cadillac's early Night Vision system.  I recently saw an ad for John Glenn's 2000(ish) DeVille, which was loaded including this system, and I had totally forgotten about it.  A quick Google search shows that Cadillac pioneered it in 2000 and dropped it in 2004, but years later it came back in another form.  Did the early version not work or was it just too "out there" or expensive?
David Bartosic CLC19619

D.Smith

From what I have heard from owners with it they said it worked great.    It was a very expensive option.   $1995.00 and only available on the DTS/DHS

Big Apple Caddy

Although considered pretty cutting edge at the time, I think its effectiveness and desirability were mixed.  Some found it useful while others found it useless and/or distracting.  In the end, there probably just weren't enough buyers willing to spend the $2,000 or so for the option.

TJ Hopland

How did it work?  Did it turn the windshield into a auto dimming rear view mirror? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

mistertudball

From what I read, cars so equipped had a sensor behind the grill that detected heat via infrared and projected the image at the bottom of the windshield with warmer parts showing as whiter, and cooler as darker.  So, for instance, you could get the image of a deer about to jump into the roadway at night. 
David Bartosic CLC19619

Big Apple Caddy

Correct.  It used heads-up display.  It worked better under some circumstances, like on open highways or in more rural locations, than others.  Some simply found it too distracting just as some found other HUD systems that displayed things like current speed distracting.