News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power window issues

Started by slowpoke17, December 30, 2017, 12:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpoke17

Well I've been trying to work on getting my drivers side window back in operable mood but haven't had much luck. I have the service manual and I've searched the forums for instruction but I'm not making much progress. I have the panel off and everything exposed. I did find a pin on the bottom of the door but can't find anything that resembles that in the manual. I can't see where it broke off or came from. Direction is not clear on whether I have to remove the regulator or can this completed with everything in place? The motor works, you can hear it but nothing happens, the window stays in the dropped position. Would appreciate any guidance offered. The car is in winter storage so I'd like to fix it myself if possible otherwise it hits the shop come spring. Here is the part I found:

John Federico

35-709

Hard to tell but it looks to me like that arm sticking straight up in the pic. broke off something and maybe it broke flush making it hard to see just where --- if so look harder, you'll find it.  Your cars are newer than what I am more familiar with.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bobby B

Quote from: slowpoke17 on December 30, 2017, 12:02:39 PM
Well I've been trying to work on getting my drivers side window back in operable mood but haven't had much luck. I have the service manual and I've searched the forums for instruction but I'm not making much progress. I have the panel off and everything exposed. I did find a pin on the bottom of the door but can't find anything that resembles that in the manual. I can't see where it broke off or came from. Direction is not clear on whether I have to remove the regulator or can this completed with everything in place? The motor works, you can hear it but nothing happens, the window stays in the dropped position. Would appreciate any guidance offered. The car is in winter storage so I'd like to fix it myself if possible otherwise it hits the shop come spring. Here is the part I found:

John,
     Hi.....
A. What car/ year are you referring to?
B.  It's definitely part of a track/roller assembly. That's the ball part of an arm or assembly that slides with the up/down motion of your window. Where it broke off of and the location of it's mating the socket must be your question...
                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

slowpoke17

Quote from: Bobby B on December 30, 2017, 01:41:39 PM
John,
     Hi.....
A. What car/ year are you referring to?
B.  It's definitely part of a track/roller assembly. That's the ball part of an arm or assembly that slides with the up/down motion of your window. Where it broke off of and the location of it's mating the socket must be your question...
                               Bobby

Hi Bobby,

The car is a 1988 Coupe DeVille. What I'm trying to resolve is what part this broke off of? Its hard to tell with minimal viewing and my minimum knowledge of power windows. As I can't see what is broken I'm trying to decide if I need to drill out the rivets and remove the whole assembly. I knew what to replace I could buy the replacement part and try to do that in place. From what I read its not an easy job to remove and reinstall.
John Federico