News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac limo

Started by 68383gts, January 01, 2018, 09:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68383gts

1949 Cadillac limo solid shape minus engine and transmission. Was a running and driving car a year ago. Set up for big block chrysler. $7000.00 bo East Peoria, IL  309437 7916

BJM

Hi Jim:
Is the original drivetrain available?  This was the last year for this 75 body and the 1st year for OHV V8 so for Cadillac collectors it would be more valuable with that drivetrain rather than a Mopar one.

68383gts

piperman

I have a 1949 engine sitting here if needed, along with a 1949 block. Is there any value in original cars. I was going to go with a upgraded motor also

D John Anderson

chrisntam

Most folk on this web site like it all original.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

piperman

it runs, don't want to fix what isn't broke. But can see why people up grade. Parts are hard to come by, and expensive.
D John Anderson

The Tassie Devil(le)

You have that right.

Some of us cannot actually find the required parts, and when we do, the price is in the unobtainium bracket.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

68383gts

Car is pretty much original. Not hard to put in an original engine.

Carl Fielding

Or any year 331 Cadillac. But , ummmm..... , Chrysler ? Chrysler ? A big'un ? What's wrong with keeping it Cadillac ? Chrysler ? Might as well put a SBC in it. Gonna rip the soul out of it anyway. Soul is preserved with 500 cu in CADILLAC power. A/C and the whole 9 CADILLAC yards. But , Jim , you're selling it , so it's going to be out of your hands. How much Chryslerizing has already been inflicted on this Cad ?  - Carl

James Landi

Lord Fielding makes a great point (as always he does)--- if you're going to "modernize" it, go for the big block 500 cuber and install the a/c, and power assist equipment.   Procure an original engine and power train, and keep it in storage for another owner.  I have a vintage mahogany ski boat and I store two spare "Fireball V8" engines that went out of manufacture in the mid-60's ---Happy day,   James

BJM

I was not going to pile on about the Mopar choice because whatever else is considered, is a move away from originality.   Getting the original drivetrain, for a Cadillac restorer, would have been important.

Now a potential buyer has to track down a drivetrain, which are available of course. 

The worrisome phrase "set up for a Mopar BB" scares me a little.  Without further photos and understanding, that sounds to me like the motor mounts and clearance areas have been modified, and therefore, need in-modified.  Again adding cost. 

There are plenty of 75's out there and nobody is restoring them, so what this seller chose to do - although not my choice - is 100% OK.  Purists can debate, but until all of the 75's I know of out there in salvage yards and behind garages are restored, then I am not going to criticize guys like this seller.

68383gts

Ok I guess no interest just a bunch of smart ass comments

BJM

Jim
Correct. There is little interest. $7 large is more than enough to buy a solid complete 75 from either the flathead V8 era or the 49 to 60's years.

Operative word complete.

piperman

so what is the early 1950s  75's worth. I looked at a 1952 in plainfield wisconsin. that was a older restoration, but sill in nice shape.
D John Anderson

BJM

John:
Lots of variables but IMO the post 49 75's dropped in value until 1954-55 - swung up through 1958 and after that they represent a personal choice until about 1966 when the squared off lines again looked a bit more formal and correct. 

There are 75 series experts on here, more so than I.  Main point on the one you saw is was the restoration correct, especially in regards to interior upholstery.   My heart would sink if I opened up a restored 75 and found a compromise on the fabric/upholstery. 

Also - does everything work, all the power stuff, although there was less in the pre PS, PB era. 

I would say a driver, restored 75 from the early 50's is a $10,000 to $16,000 car. I can not be more specific.  Keep in mind you can not restore any 75 series for less than $75,000 and they are never worth that much. 

So, all things considered if someone actually offering a 75 series from the early 50's is asking, say $20,000, then you would want to do a mental check off of the savings of buying one as a driver, maybe over-paying a tad, versus what the restoration cost might have been. 

For my money, for the early 50's, I would go with a well sorted Fleetwood 60S.  You get the crazy 133" wheelbase, Fleetwood trim, without the 75 series headaches. 

But for 1955-58, the "golden years" of post war 75 series nostalgia, I prefer a 75 series. 

BJM

Quote from: piperman on January 01, 2018, 05:17:22 PM
I have a 1949 engine sitting here if needed, along with a 1949 block. Is there any value in original cars. I was going to go with a upgraded motor also

Personally as I stated, you can do anything you want to your car.  I knew of several 75 series cars in project condition, in project car "yards" and I know of only 1 (ONE) that was sold.  They take a special person to buy one and restore it.   So they sit.  75 series cars are an IMPORTANT part of the Cadillac collectible world. 

Lincoln, Imperial - never came close to producing the cleg light drama queens that Cadillac did. Packard's Limousine presence waned after 1942 as well, leaving Cadillac alone as the Limousine, LWB manufacturer.

And Cadillac never let anyone down.  They did not rest on their laurels for sure. 

But if no one is restoring them, then do what you want.  There is still a huge surplus of project vehicles in the United States. 

68383gts

piperman

yea they wanted $7000 for the 1952 75. Looked like it was a good restor done in the 80's. Runs great, but it has sat outside off and on. I gave $800 for mine, will drive it as a barn find. you can easily stick $20 K in a poor restor and never get it back out of the car. The old 75 needs a special kind of buyer.
D John Anderson