News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Getting the pin on the throttle rocker arm back in place on quadrajet

Started by dochawk, January 01, 2018, 05:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

Stumped once again by something small . . .

While removing the quadrajet, we removed the rocker arm as well (I don't even remember why!).  The one that lets you pump fuel in from the accelerator pedal.

It seems we tapped it a shade to far, and I can't get anything behind it to lever it back into place.

I've tried needle nose pliers, the even narrower tip of a wire stripping tool, and a narrow spring-lock pliers.

I haven't been able to get a grip on it that will let me get it back in place.

Short of cutting it and finding another pin to drive through, I'm out of ideas.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

TJ Hopland

Wire cutter is what I usually use because they can get a good grip.  You mentioned wire stripper,  you need the kind that have teeth on both sides.   Those come in many sizes and tapper down at the tip to fit.

Be gentle, those castings are easy to crack. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dochawk

As in a pair of dikes?

My stripper is one of those multi-gauge with grips on the plier tips.

It also occurred to me to grind the sides flat for a grip . . .

This is a brand new delco rebuild, too . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

TJ Hopland

Yes often called dikes.   Those stripper ones usually have only one side with a cutter and don't have the tapper to the tip.   Also tend to be dull when new and barely able to mash copper.   Here you are trying to grip steel.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

The pin is a Roll Pin, made of spring steel, and as such, is very hard to grip with pliers.

I would still be trying to use side cutters to grip it, but one way to get behind it would be to carefully trim off a bit of the air cleaner seating ring, and this will give the required access to the back of it.

I don't bean to completely remove the aluminium behind it, but just sufficient to get behind it, and hot enough to make a large hole.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

35-709

Maybe stating the obvious, but the NEXT time you or anyone here has to tap that pin out, put a small, thin blade screwdriver between the pin and the side of the carburetor when you start to get close (might need a 3rd hand).  Then tap the pin up to the screwdriver blade, that will give the clearance you need for the screwdriver blade to later fit in there and start pushing the pin back in, levering against the carb side. 

Cut the pin if you must, any good NAPA should have a box of assorted sizes to replace it, or contact the people that rebuilt the carb, they'll have one to send you.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

dochawk

The joys of hindsight . . . :)

We had so much trouble tapping it every tiny fraction of an inch, it never occurred to us that it would go that far on a single tap.

*sigh*

maybe I can find the pin from the one that came from the car (the tab that holds it broke off.  I think it's somewhere in my parts drawers).  or maybe there's still a pin in my parts quadrate (hmm, but how would I get it out?)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Oh dear.

Do you need another carby top with an unbroken pivot?

I would have one here, with pin.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

35-709

The pin that you can't get out or push back in --- if you are, for some reason, adverse to cutting it and removing it to replace with a new one, grab it firmly with side cutters (or needle nose vice grips) but not hard enough to cut through it and tap on the side cutters with a small hammer to try and move it back into the hole even a very small amount.  If it went the last bit easily, as you noted, it should tap back in using the side cutters and hammer easily and all you need is juuust enough room to fit a small, flat blade screwdriver in there.  The little mark the side cutters will leave should not affect the ability of the pin to perform its function.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

dochawk

I finally got a chance to deal with this again today. 

As fate would have it, I couldn't find either of my dikes, but borrowed a smaller pair (better for this!) from my neighbor, and loosened it in seconds, letting me advance it through the arm with a slot screwdriver.

Naturally, I did this without considering the connecting rod, so had to push it out again, but it's in, but needs a bit more, as seen here:

Now I get to figure out how to reattach the choke:

We did have an issue reassembling; this ring (which doesn't show as being broken here) had to come out before everything fit back in:

And I have an extra part:

hawk

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: dochawk on January 13, 2018, 04:59:57 PM
And I have an extra part:.....   hawk
Don't we all have "an extra part" at some time during our working on anything?

You have done well.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

You must have two of them as one is being shown in place in the second picture.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

dochawk

Well, I *do* have the '75 that came on the car, the incomplete (by one plate, but with a cigarette lighter coil choke) carb I was handed at a meeting, and the '72 Delco rebuilt that I'm trying to mount.   Surplus pieces are likely :)

hawk