News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Dean Martin's Serial #1 1970 Eldorado for sale on eBay

Started by chrisntam, January 01, 2018, 07:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

Yes, and numbers do matter. At 20,000 + made each year Eldorados are not rare enough to justify $70K.  You can break a few done as "1 of's" but nothing like 1 of 10 or so. 

Add to that that an Eldorado was pretty well "loaded" even a base car, and they are homogenous. Provenance (or Providence) adds a bit, with documentation.  But I think that triple black bucket seat 1970 would be preferred by most of us over this car. 

e.mason

I can still remember the introduction of the 6th generation of the Eldorado in 1967.  Even though it followed closely on the heels of the 1966 radically designed Olds Toronado.  It really stood out due to its unbelievable great looks.  Prior years, with the exception of the 1953 models, were gussied up versions of the deVille convertibles.  They really were head turners in their day.  Still are today.
Eric Mason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Gussied up Series 62 Convertibles or not, 59/60 EBZs probably turn more heads than a late 60s FWD Eldo.  ;)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

e.mason

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on January 04, 2018, 01:12:11 PM
Gussied up Series 62 Convertibles or not, 59/60 EBZs probably turn more heads than a late 60s FWD Eldo.  ;)

I think any 59/60 Cadillac would be a head turner, especially the 59's.
Eric Mason

Quote from: e.mason on January 04, 2018, 03:12:11 PM
I think any 59/60 Cadillac would be a head turner, especially the 59's.

No argument there.  8)

BJM

The pre FWD Eldorados and the 67-70 generation are apples and oranges to be considered in totally different ways. 

As a clean sheet design the 67-68 Eldorados are one of the top 5 most beautiful post war designs from all makes.  Post war is getting along now, but we just do not see many clean sheet designs any more. Perhaps each C # version of the Corvettes. 

I suppose the Mustang fastback could be in that group but not from an engineering standpoint, but it was a daring and different look - that worked.  Few people can say the 65-66 Fastback Mustang is an ugly car. 

I have owned 3 66-67 Toronados and they are very close to being called 1 of the top 5 but I am not sure.  They surely would be in the top 10. 

Outside of that, you would have to consider the 56-57 Mark II's.  And others I am splitting hairs over. 

When it comes to the 53-66 Eldorados, especially the 53-59's, I just am on the fence if they can be described as clean sheet designs worthy of placement among the highest in a ranking.  Plus, it's subjective.  You can't say the 1957 Biarritz without saying hey how about the 53! 

Was there any custom fabrication on the 59 Eldorados like on the 56-58's?

67_Eldo

The August 1967 edition of Motor Trend contained this snippet which, in my experience, is as true today as it was then:

"The best feature of the Eldorado, which has many nice accessories including a fine AM-FM Multiplex Stereo, has nothing to do with any of these. It's the awesome respect and prestige value accorded it by persons from all walks of life. After observing the effect it had on a great many onlookers we're convinced that, in this country at least, there's no car made anywhere at any price that equals it in this respect."

Even in its current shabby state, people stare and take pictures of my car. They don't have any idea what it is, much less that it is a Cadillac. "Is that an 80's car? 90s? How old is it?" people will ask me.

There's a reason why Cadillac still uses it as a reference point for their current designs.

J. Skelly

The '63-'65 Riviera, and the all-new '66 could be put into the same category (but not the '67 Riviera since the parking lights and grille were changed just for the sake of change, and was no improvement over the appearance of the '66).  It's pretty sad when we realize that cars from over fifty years ago look so much better than the current podmobiles of today.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

My opinion the 79-85 and 92-02 Eldorado body styles captured the spirit of the original 67-70 model.   

D.Smith

George will have that car until it rots into the ground. 

I don't see anyone coughing up that kind of money for it, let alone one that isn't a 100 point car.

Good luck finding someone who will bring their lawyer with them and sign a non disclosure agreement either.

Same mentality as those people who drape a towel over their license plate when taking a photo.     

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

wrefakis

in the words of dean martin
70 g for my old faded out 70 eldo?
lemme have what your drinkin I wanna get loaded 2

Dan LeBlanc

Well. I'm sure one could find out the name of his lawyer in the non disclosure agreement process. Save the name.  Contact the lawyer. Buy it from the estate for less than $10k. Problem solved.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

BJM

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on January 05, 2018, 04:50:18 PM
My opinion the 79-85 and 92-02 Eldorado body styles captured the spirit of the original 67-70 model.

100% agree.  Cadillac did a wonderful job working in styling cue from the 1st gen FWD cars making it easy for loyal Cadillac buyers to buy 1-3 from the 79-85 era then jump back in with the last generation Eldorado.

With some seed money this past summer I bought 2 Reattas but I had offered on a 1999 Pearl White Eldorado and stuck with my offer price.  The seller waited and when he got back to me and said I could have it, my funds were spent.

I would love a collector class last gen car, maybe triple black. Or gold, lots of options, dark green?  These were essentially made at the Lansing Craft Centre after the Reatta program folded if I recall. 

Most of the last gen are beaters now, but I still include them in my area craigs list searches.  I just don't want to overpay - yet recognize the value in low mileage ones.  If I can find one with less tha  100,000 miles, get it inspected and sorted out, it could last me the rest of my life as a collector car adjunct to my older Cadillacs, right? 

For many they are too modern, but are now 15 + years old and are beautifully styled and great details. A classic design should be collected.