News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78-85 Eldorados Featured in new Collectible Automobile

Started by BJM, January 01, 2018, 07:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

The downside to the 368's was these were the very first DEFI systems.  Apparently GM learned a lot from these because they made a lot of changes before the 4100 and when it hit most of the rest of the GM line.   One of the areas they changed was electrical connectors.  The original type wasn't reliable especially as they aged.   Besides the possible reliability issue this meant that many of the sensors are a 1 or two year only item which I am told can be very difficult to find today.   

I remember the T types being faster than anything else at the time.   I think who ever said they didn't have inter coolers was correct, those didn't come till the last couple years of the GNX which was after this body style. 

Reliability seems to be similar for both the 3 speed and OD transmissions.  It probably helped that not many people tried to tow with these cars like they did with many others that came with the 200 metric family of transmissions.   The diesel people don't like the OD version.   They say the MPG isn't any better and the lockup tends to transfer any and all vibrations to the whole car.   I have driven them but not extensively.  All the ones I have owned have been 3 speeds.   

All this talk has got me planning on driving the 81 Riv today.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

All 1981 computers recalled decades ago. Wafer connectors could also problematic. Otherwise the V8-6-4 was mechanically  sound as any big block Cadillac V8 made up to that point.

I maintain the THM 325 3 speed trans of 1981 was more reliable than its immediate successor.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

BJM

It's clear from all the comments and conversation - which I love and enjoy reading by the way - that NO year is perfect for the 79-85 period BUT I have changed my tune from an earlier comment that 1979 was the best year to consider because of the 350. 

I think the 368 of 1980-81, with the V8-6-4 disabled, would give a collector the best shot at ownership as a collector car. 

slowpoke17

I had a 1985 Eldorado and never had a problem. I did read that they made engine improvements to the 1985 Eldorados after VIN FE623772 and 1985 Sevilles after VIN FE812094 with improved intake manifold gaskets and block casting changes.  I made sure the one I bought was after this serial number. There was also some mention of adding coolant pellets every time you change your oil but I'm not sure what that was about. 
John Federico

TJ Hopland

How often did the Riviera's come with Eldo level options?   I have seen the catalogs and it looks like you could have got pretty close but for some reason the one I have and many I have seen are more on the Chev level for options.   Still great cars but nothing like the 80 Eldo with the pillow back seats I had.   Most of the Toro's I have seen were fairly well equipped but I never liked the family truxter flat front end on em. 

I drove my Riv today.  Its rough and getting uglier by the day but I still enjoyed the ride.

I read somewhere that the 325 trans that came in the 79-81 had a bunch of changes and improvements on the original 200 design that came out in what 76?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

e.mason

Quote from: slowpoke17 on January 08, 2018, 04:22:17 PM
I had a 1985 Eldorado and never had a problem. I did read that they made engine improvements to the 1985 Eldorados after VIN FE623772 and 1985 Sevilles after VIN FE812094 with improved intake manifold gaskets and block casting changes.  I made sure the one I bought was after this serial number. There was also some mention of adding coolant pellets every time you change your oil but I'm not sure what that was about.

The pelllets, which were the only engine recall solution to the HT4100's, were to be added ONLY at coolant changes.  It was recommended that the coolant be changed at least every other year.
Eric Mason

slowpoke17

Quote from: e.mason on January 08, 2018, 07:03:55 PM
The pelllets, which were the only engine recall solution to the HT4100's, were to be added ONLY at coolant changes.  It was recommended that the coolant be changed at least every other year.

Can you tell me what was the purpose of adding the pellets? Did it help with overheating or something to do with the non-compatible materials used for the engine?
John Federico

smokuspollutus

Aluminum casting was still new to the General and there were reports of casting porosity. There was no way to determine which engines would develop this condition, so they were "recalled" and the pellets added. This was in the mid/late 80s. They continued to use the pellets on their aluminum products during production from that point til the mid 2000s.

I have also used them to successfully seal an intake leak on a car that was otherwise not worth the real repair. I suspect that GM knew about this too, but the above is all they ever said.

e.mason

Quote from: slowpoke17 on January 11, 2018, 08:04:59 PM
Can you tell me what was the purpose of adding the pellets? Did it help with overheating or something to do with the non-compatible materials used for the engine?

The pellets were basically nothing more then Barr's Stop Leak.  They were supposed to fill in the gaps caused by the dissimilar/non-compatible metals used in the engine. Cast iron and aluminum.   Overheating wasn't the main problem.  Coolant mixing with the oil was.  Eventually the mixing would cause the engine to seize up with very little or no warning.
Eric Mason

e.mason

Quote from: smokuspollutus on January 11, 2018, 08:19:03 PM
Aluminum casting was still new to the General and there were reports of casting porosity. There was no way to determine which engines would develop this condition, so they were "recalled" and the pellets added. This was in the mid/late 80s. They continued to use the pellets on their aluminum products during production from that point til the mid 2000s.

I have also used them to successfully seal an intake leak on a car that was otherwise not worth the real repair. I suspect that GM knew about this too, but the above is all they ever said.

Not sure of the other years. The 1985 recall was nothing more then a sticker being mailed to the owners, to be applied to the fan shroud, telling owners to do frequent coolant changes and add the pellets.
Eric Mason

bcroe

The 79 Toro has higher compression than the 79 Eldo, and a more
snappy axle ratio.  With no computer its no doubt the fastest and
most reliable Gen III Toro.  Emissions equipment was much simpler
than later years.  And apparently the 403 was an option, I saw one. 
A 79 Toro is what I was looking for, but when I couldn't find one, I
bought an Eldo.  Now I find myself involved in the 79 EFI.  But all
the Toro advantages have been added to my Eldo.  Bruce Roe