News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 eldorado 500 4bbl crate engine

Started by 76 cadillac bob, January 03, 2018, 11:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76 cadillac bob

Does anyone know if there is a source for a crate engine for this car? Engine in there is ok for now,  planning ahead just in case. The engine in there now was rebuilt prior to my purchasing the car, dont know what was done. Working with my mechanic on various issues.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

Personally, I wouldn't be buying any Crate Engine, unless I was going to immediately install it.

Buying any completed engine, and storing it away for future use, it could end up being unused for 30 years.   Then, when you come to use it, it would need stripping and checking, to ensure that there was no internal damage from sitting around.

It would be just like getting a car that has been sitting in a museum, for years, and we all know how these things degrade over time.   Look good on the outside, but inside is another story.

BUT, if I did get the opportunity to obtain a "Crate Motor" for future use, I would strip it down, prepare each and every part for long-term storeage, and carefully put them in a safe place.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

When the time comes, take yours out, send it to MTS, they'll rebuild it and send it back to you.  Its best to keep the original engine in the car if you can.

All advice noted above is spot on, in my opinion.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76 cadillac bob

I agree to try and keep original engine, if I were to buy a crate engine it would be installed at once. I am not doing anything right now until I see what the prognosis is for the two plugs that are oily. They do not appear to be affecting performance...yet. the rest of the engine is dry and sounds really good. Car starts with one quick turn of the key. I will keep you posted as things progress.