News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

K.Pool's 59 coupe deVille

Started by jdweeler1959, January 03, 2018, 02:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdweeler1959

I think I’m going to fix the dash myself for now. In my 85 4runner I took and sanded the cracks down even with the surface and used fiberglass resin to fill them in then sanddd it smooth and painted it. It’s noticeable because it the smooth line on the dash but looks better then the giant crack.

As for springs it sags pretty good my father and law and Dad got in on the passenger side and the car leans over. What’s your guys thought on air bags? I was talking with ride tech about their bolt in self leveling kit. Not cheap but would be worth doing right.

Just ordered myself a new da polisher today should be here Friday. Cant wait!! My harbor freight one is giving  up plus I’m tired of it. Ordered a torq 10fx from chemical guys plus a lot of other goodies to help get this caddy looking even better.

Skwerly62

Kevin I had great success revitalizing the paint on my 58 last year with Macguires Diamond 2.0 and some very minor wet sanding. That and your polisher will do wonders. Another member had a post about his 58 with better details if you do a search here. Best of luck with Gramps’car that’s great to keep it in the family. I will be following your progress as I just got a 60. Cheers!
Chris in PA
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

jdweeler1959

just got my quote from just dashes....
Here is an approximate cost of your restoration:
$2,000 | 1 Piece Dash
(Add $400 for the 2 Sides-RECOMMEND)

$100-$200 Color Match Fee
*No extra charge for black
+ Shipping

:'( think I'm going to wait for now.
ill just sand the crack flat for now and fill it with some resin.
just got my new DA polisher yesterday so ill be working on polishing it for now.
drove it to the store yesterday and noticed a clicking in the front driver side wheel. thinking its to drum brake adjuster not sure gotta take that apart next

cwbbear

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on January 08, 2018, 08:08:39 PM
Kevin,
A couple points.
Get rid of the rubber hoses for the fuel in the engine compartment - and really all the way back If there are any more splices, (rubber to steel) to just before the gas tank, neoprene is good.
Just Dashes - NOT NOT NOT cheap.  Use your money to get the beast mechanically safe and sound and leave the dash alone for a while and get the cap - cheap fix - paint it - at this point it's a driver after all.
Have fun,
Steve B.

He is not playing,  those old rubber hose just melt with this new gas.  I learned having a fuel line spray gas all over the upper engine.  thank goodness no fire.  Go on a hunt for rubber that touches fuel and replace is sage advice by Steve

59-in-pieces

Kevin,
Just another thought I had about the dash repair.
When I did a patch like with epoxy or the like, I took a scrap from another part of the cap or side pieces - used the top of the scrap - and used it as a stamp to emboss/imprint the filler just before it set up to have a similar pattern to the area around the patch area.
Then a light sand and paint - pretty much vanishes - unless you really eagle eye it.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David Greenburg

If you’re going to patch the dash, look into Leatherique crack filler.  Also they can do a virtually perfect color match for dye.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

jdweeler1959

I’ll look into some of those products.

Just got my locks and seat belts in so I will be putting those in tonight.
Found something inside my Driver door I don’t know where it goes any help appreciated.

jdweeler1959

Just figured out what the bracket goes to disassembled the wing window and found that it goes on the back of the manual crank gear housing. Pressed it on and lightly hammered the lead housing rivits back over after filing it with some white lithium grease.

So if your wing window opens easy but when you try to close it and the handle sucks up against the door panel most likely this piece either fell off or it’s pushed out.
Now mine works flawlessly actually opens and closes

Now to do the otherside

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: jdweeler1959 on January 16, 2018, 12:48:53 PM
just got my quote from just dashes....
Here is an approximate cost of your restoration:
$2,000 | 1 Piece Dash
(Add $400 for the 2 Sides-RECOMMEND)

$100-$200 Color Match Fee
*No extra charge for black
+ Shipping

Same quote I got recently-   $3k to do a '59 dash after all's said & done. Just Dashes work is second to none but that's a lot of sheckels.  :o
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Nadeem K

jdweeler1959

Well I haven’t done a whole lot I had to put it in storage to have room in the garage for other projects but finally brought it home last week only to find out the freeze plugs are leaking Antifreeze now :-[

DaddyDeVille

1 Old car (The Green Devil~le) (Lots of gas)
1 New Truck (Not quite lots of gas, but still a lot of gas)
1 New Car (no gas)
1 Newish Bike (Some gas)
1 Old bike (Some more gas)

https://chuckdidit.wordpress.com/
https://www.instagram.com/mightneedoil/