News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mecum Kissimmee 2018

Started by Dirty, January 05, 2018, 10:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty

I am new to posting on your Forum. I have read a lot of info pro :) and con :( about what I am after. I am going to Mecum next week with the intent of buying a 1976 Eldo convertible. 8) I go back and forth whether to go after an FI car or carb car. Both are there. The FI car has less than 3,500 miles on it, but we can all do the math, it is at least 40 years old. I have been in the automotive industry for 40 years and it has been good to me. Racing too. I am as good as the next guy at working on cars..........I just don't enjoy it or want to anymore. If I buy a '76, FI or carb, can I get the car to be reliable enough to at least trust it for a weekend outing and drive it say 500 miles with a reasonable amount of confidence??  Option 2 would be to skip the Eldo and buy an XLR that probably would be more reliable and easier to get parts?? Thanks in advance. ...............Dirty

Dave Shepherd

I'd say unless the 76 fi car has been sorted and the common trouble areas brought up to speed, I would pass on that one.

Dirty

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of your concerns about this car. I am in north Florida. I certainly would not want to take the car to California, but a day or two trip to get the car to some one experienced at bringing this car up to snuff is not out of the question. If I can't find someone like that to fix the car, I am leaning on your advise. .........................Dirty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I concur with the above- best dependability with least upkeep would be the carb version.

Can't answer between XLR and a mid 70s Eldorado convertible which are miles apart. My opinion the '76 will be more satisfying overall unless performance is important criteria in which case there is no contest.

No reason a '76 should have reliability issues provided the car had been carefully driven and maintained regularly. To that end, only the very finest and top grade examples should be considered- all but the most negligible repair/restoration costs can quickly spiral out of control relative to value on these cars, and you'll be upside down before you can say, "What was I thinking?"  :o

Also I would avoid mega-low mileage examples that were mothballed since new as "investments" which a lot of people did back in '76. Several hundred miles on the clock is no match for the ravages of 4 decades' worth of disuse!

Good luck.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Caddyjack

I own both a 1976 Eldorado and an XLR. I can tell you that it is absolutely, positively A LOT easier finding parts for the Eldorado than it is for the XLR. Seriously.
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Dirty

Thanks to both of you. I have enough laps on the track to NOT need to scare myself going fast on the highway so performance is NOT the issue. Nice reliable ride. Have plenty of new cars, would like a fun car, but a car that breaks down more than runs is not fun. As the 3,500 miles on the clock indicates on the FI car, it has sat most of its life.  I just turned 64 and can afford a nice car to go get ice cream in. Caddyjack just threw a wrench in the XLR back up idea.

sding

Price, Price, PRICE! if you can get it cheap. buy it.

Quote from: Dirty on January 05, 2018, 01:26:34 PM
Nice reliable ride... would like a fun car, but a car that breaks down more than runs. 3,500 miles on the clock indicates on the FI car, it has sat most of its life. 

In that case, this is not the car you want, IMHO and primitive 1976 FI is a serious handicap to reliability right from the start.  Chances are it will not be cheap especially it looks the part of a 3,500 mile car.

Find one with 30K - 60K on the clock in the best condition you can find. Should not be a problem for $13K - $20K depending on colors, mileage, condition...and of course, luck.   

Dirty

All of this input is much appreciated. I was kinda hoping somebody ( like Bruce ) would post up "don't worry, we can fix it no matter what" but that doesn't seem to be the case and you guys have made me think to stay away from this car...................BUT it is a "no reserve" car that runs late Tuesday night when no one will be there. Fishing for another opinion: if I could land this thing for $5 to $10K, ( and that is possible ), still walk away???

If you have any interest in looking at what I am interested in, this car is on Mecum.com. Kissimmee . Tuesday lots, page 7 lot G236.

Quote from: Dirty on January 05, 2018, 03:12:28 PM
All of this input is much appreciated. I was kinda hoping somebody ( like Bruce ) would post up "don't worry, we can fix it no matter what" but that doesn't seem to be the case and you guys have made me think to stay away from this car...................BUT it is a "no reserve" car that runs late Tuesday night when no one will be there. Fishing for another opinion: if I could land this thing for $5 to $10K, ( and that is possible ), still walk away???

If you have any interest in looking at what I am interested in, this car is on Mecum.com. Kissimmee . Tuesday lots, page 7 lot G236.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-321438/1976-cadillac-eldorado-convertible/

Auction estimate is $40,000 - $50,000. The janitor would pay $5K - $10K. Not a prayer.

There are 7 other '76 ELCs at this sale. Not interested in any of those?

Speaking for myself, I'd be all over the black/red '59 conv. ;)

Dirty

Auction estimate is smoke and mirrors, they work on percentage of sale price so they "fluff" prices. Sales history at other auctions puts that car under 20. I was willing to go 20 to 25 thinking the FI was worth more but I have been talked out of that. I've been to many of these auctions, right place...........right time............no reserve, anything is possible. Yes, I am interested in the others now that the FI car has to be stolen to be a good deal. As far as your '59................come on. I have extra tickets to get in and I will bid it for you. ............Dirty

PS Thanks for everybody's help. When I started the day today, my mindset was to chase the car up to the mid 20's. No way now.

sding

And it's white with red leather! now I want it.

Dirty

Yeah I know!! I really like the red leather. :D The other ones with white seats and colored dash don't do anything for me. There is a green with green leather and a carburetor.  I think that is my target now. No mileage listed so hard to guess the value. Right place.........right time. You never know.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I was just trolling, but I liked the bronze one, or one of the dark green ones. Strictly by color preference. Everybody and their dog has a white one. (No offence meant to all those that do). If you wanted an Aztec Red one, the "regular" 1953 Cadillac convertible looked nice. You could actually drive it and have fun with it and it looks ALMOST like a '53 Eldo if you squint a little. You wouldn't feel like killing yourself if it got scratched or an ice cream cone dropped in the back seat. You might even save about 75K doing without the door drop and hard boot. Best of luck and HAVE FUN.   

P.S. Remember that '82-'85 Eldos can self-destruct without warning, no matter what the auctioneer says...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Dirty

My dad always had a Cadillac in the driveway. That's all he drove. Through the 80's I was in charge of finding and buying cars for him. Left him in 76 Sedan Devilles as long as I could find decent used ones. Had to switch him to Lincoln Town cars through the 4100 dark days of Cadillac. Went back when they started putting the 305 Olds motors in them even if they couldn't hold 70 MPH up a mountain. When you could get the 350's in them things were better...................Dirty

V63

I have had several of the cadillac Bosch EFI versions, to include Mercedes that pre dated them. The advantages of the EFI are immediately obvious upon comparison to carb versions. Incredible smoothness with performance. No hesitation here with the EFI. The condition and miles would prioritize.

The EFI system is sensitive to any vacuum leak...and the sensors tend to fail. The car is running at the sale right? Theres 95% right there, listen to it, exhaust note should be 100% smooth...

Smell the gas cap for history of varnish fuel...with hope they are not running with it! Exhaust would have that Odor then too.

V63

$13.750? Or

plus (10%? $1,375) fees &  taxes (10%? $1,375) documentation $350?

$16,850 as is / where is

It might be 6% at Mecum but cannot ascertain. BJ is usually 10%.

Dirty

Thanks V63. I will do the sniff test. The copper car hammered for $12,500. I watched it go through on YouTube. The 13,750 is with the 10% 1,250 buyer fee. Thanks for the input. I have not ruled out the FI car, but it can't be at a premium price. Worst I have to do is put a carb on it....................Dirty