News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1950's fuel pump delivery issues

Started by James Landi, January 05, 2018, 01:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

Several times I have composed what I consider a"helpful" bit of advice that has received no comment, either positive or negative, and so, as a way to provide some focus on the topic that pairs with my experience, I ask for some considered response to what I have written on several occasions as  follows:

Re: Fuel issue in my 54
« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:28:35 AM »

A hard lesson I learned on the New Jersey Turnpike on my 1956 sedan one hot July summer morning...These fuel pumps mounted as the are on the oil filler tube, were intended to have the actuator fulcrum and pivot dowel packed with grease.  THere is no active oil lube  for the fuel pump.    Some of the original 50's gas pumps came with a zerk fitting grease point.  Over time, replacement pumps did away with the fitting... some mechanics knew that packing the inner part of the pump was necessary to extend the service life of the pump.   Over time, an unlubricated fulcrum and pivot wear and develop sufficient "play" to gradually become less and less effective at actuating the pump diaphragm, thus issues delivery fuel to a hot, nearly empty carb, or one that is starving for fuel when under load. That summer's day as I lost power and then regained it, I pulled off and attempted a trial and error roadside fix. When I removed the pump and worked the fulcrum by hand, I had plenty of gas! Got back on the highway, and the engine began to lurch again... I finally figured out the problem when an aging counter man (this occurred in the early '70's) provided the necessary lesson about greasing the pump innards  that I p;ass on to you.  Happy day, James

Jon S

I read your writeup. Whenever I change my fuel pumps I lubricate the push rod with grease despite it being wet with oil. I believe my '58 rod is receiving oil lubrication and was initially hesitant greasing the rod, but it seems fine. Your writeup is appreciated.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT