News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Water Pump Mounting Bolts

Started by limikep, January 09, 2018, 09:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limikep

Hello All

I had to remove the two 3" bolts holding the power steering bracket to the water pump in order to rebuild the power steering pump.  These two bolts attach to the head.  One of the bolts was stripped.  I am trying to get the same bolts from a parts car.  Is this a bad idea to use an original (old) bolt.  If I cannot find or use an original, should I use a Grade "5" or Grade "8" bolt which will be matched up at a hardware store.  Thank you all in advance.  Mike

fishnjim

New bolts will be bright plated which is not original, but you can lightly bead blast them to take off the sheen and they'll look period zinc.   Or use black and paint over. 
If the old bolts are rusty/threads worn/head stripped/shaft thinned, don't use.   
Use a torque wrench not an impact.   Chase the threads in the head also.  I broke that one off and then broke the tap trying to get it out and it's not a nice job to repair on car.   Easy to see why they changed that design.

limikep

Great advice.. thank you.  Was going to use a regular tap.
If I cannot get an original bolt, does anyone know if I should use a Grade "5" or Grade "8" bolt as a replacement.

Caddy Wizard

Grade 5 is fine for your water pump.  The Grade 8 bolts have a higher tensile strength and are generally used on attachment points that are safety-critical, like suspension and steering. 
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

I have used stainless bolts since the 80's since they are good enough for the water pump. I do use the anti seeze on the threads so the next owner can remove them without a problem.

But that is my opinion.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

David Greenburg

Anti-sieze is a good idea; given the quality of rebuilds and replacement parts these days, the “next owner” doing that job might just be you in a couple of years. I’m in the process of replacing a 2 year old failed water pump right now.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on January 10, 2018, 10:58:23 PM
"I have used stainless bolts since the 80's since they are good enough for the water pump. I do use the anti seeze on the threads so the next owner can remove them without a problem."

If you do use stainless bolts, The Johnny's suggestion of using anti-seize compound is a good one.  Stainless steel is "gummy" as steel goes, and can gall and seize up going in or out.  So yeah, use the goop.  Heck, using anti-seize is usually a good idea anyway...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

cadman56

Use a thread cleaning tool, not a tap.  Like John, I too use never seize on bolts.
Grade 5 is sufficient for the water pump.
Good luck.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820