News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

74 Eldorado Fisher Body Manual replacement

Started by danjarrett1, January 09, 2018, 10:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

I purchased a fisher body manual for my 74 eldorado on eBay a few weeks ago. It is an original 44 year old publication. While perusing the pages last night, the binding split in two. Age and wear has taken its toll. Question: I purchased a shop/repair manual a few months and it was a re-printed, new version, and obviously is in great shape. Are there newly reprinted fisher body manuals available on the market today or are they all basically 44 years old? I have resigned myself to take on the task of just buying a large three-ring binder and using plastic sleeves for each page, but only if new ones are not available.  Any ideas?
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Dan,
I bought the 72 service manual new in 1972.  By about 1995 the pages began to separate from the binding, so I3 hoe punched it all and put it in a binder.  Even the new reprints separate with use, so I wouldn't worry too much about  little "shop wear".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

danjarrett1

That's pretty much what I thought, I don't mind putting them in a binder for reference.
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dan,

I don't think I would be putting each page in a plastic sleeve, as you would end up with a "book" that is three times its thickness now.

Simply doing the hole punch thing and a binder would work well.

Paper pages are easier to turn over than plastic sleeved ones.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   But, to do the holes properly, you need a proper hole drill and not one of those cheap punches.   I have had good results in placing some timber on each side, clamping the lot in a vice and using a real drill to bore through.   Just like drilling through wood.   Yes, these books were once wood.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

e.kempton

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on January 09, 2018, 11:14:11 AM
Dan,
I bought the 72 service manual new in 1972.  By about 1995 the pages began to separate from the binding, so I3 hoe punched it all and put it in a binder.  Even the new reprints separate with use, so I wouldn't worry too much about  little "shop wear".
Greg Surfas
They do make new repros of this manual.  Dave Graham in CA prints them.  They are just like the originals. 

TJ Hopland

When they start to fall apart those become my 'shop' copy that gets good and greasy then I find another one in better condition to be the couch reference copy.     

You could condense the falling apart one into a quick reference guide with the plastic sleeves.   Stuff like capacities, tune up, and torque specs you use all the time.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

danjarrett1

Sounds good and you’re right. I just spent the last hour stuffing paper into plastic and am only through section 5. When I’m done I’ll have to have three binders to keep it all in at this rate. Three hole ouch is looking better and better. Besides, I refer to my repair manual much more than this body manual.
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado