News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

74 VIN number placement

Started by danjarrett1, January 10, 2018, 08:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

Is anyone aware of another location for the VIN number apart from the drivers side door sticker and  windshield location? I understand the the body tag on the firewall has no direct correlation to the VIN, the engine and trans have stamps number which may have some series of numbers from the VIN but the winshield tag is supposed to the only “true”VIN location. I have also heard that the frame is sometimes stamped with the VIN but that location is only something that law enforcement would know (which is ridiculous)...just wondering if  anyone has had any luck verifying VIN anywhere else on the car?
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

danjarrett1

2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

35-709

VIN number locations are in your shop manual, Page 0-2 for '73.  You may see the term "VIN Derivative" which means it is a partial VIN (last 6 numbers).
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

danjarrett1

Yes, I have decoded both VIN and body number using my shop manual. I heard that sometimes GM wouldn’t stamp the VIN code, not just a derivative, on the frame somewhere. Has anyone every discovered the “secret place” for the VIN that is supposed to only be know to law enforcement? Or is it an old wives tale and has not merit?
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

35-709

Usedterbe the VIN was stamped on the frame as a matter of course.  On the occasions that I have bought an older car --- '34 Pontiac, '35 Cadillac, '41 Cadillac, '50 Jaguar --- and wanted to get a Florida title for same, the number was somewhere on the frame and that is what the DMV person wanted to see and the location was spelled out in the shop manual.  I do not know when (or if) the stamping of the VIN on the frame stopped but if it is not noted in the shop manual I would be of the opinion that it is no longer done.  Would be interested to hear further.

Oft times a police officer or detective will know of the places noted in the shop manual to locate a VIN, the location of which the average person had no idea about.  From that may come the idea that law enforcement people know "secret" VIN number locations.

danjarrett1

The shop manual only refers to the emBossed metal VIN plate on the base of the dashboard and the one on the drivers door which a sticker. I cannot find evidence of another location where a VIN number is either stamped or tagged in the repair manual. I cannot imagne, given the combined knowledge of the members of this forum that anyone in law enforcement or otherwise would be more knowledgeable or have resources that are unavailable to the public.  I’m beginning to believe that there are no VIN markings “hidden”or otherwise apart from those described above.. can anyone confirm or deny this?.....that’s what I’m try to find out
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

This very subject was discussed in depth last year. I suggest a search. Also... may I asked why you're concerned about it??
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

danjarrett1

I have the appropriate VIN plates and markings, just more an interest in the peculiarities of these wonderful cars. It's one of those questions that I figured someone on this forum would know an exact answer to! There are guys on this forum that can tell you what's on page 22 of the owners manual of a 53 Cadillac from memory, I find that fascinating...just a topic for discussion, plus...a friend of mine was asking the question about frame markings on he Chevy Impala (early 60's)project he has and it peaked my curiosity about the Eldorado. No biggy.
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

danjarrett1

Also, to my understanding, no one can do a CarFax,  or the like search on a 13 digit VIN vehicle.
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

35-709

"The shop manual only refers to the emBossed metal VIN plate on the base of the dashboard and the one on the drivers door which a sticker. I cannot find evidence of another location where a VIN number is either stamped or tagged in the repair manual"

Found my '74 manual which I did not remember I had.  Might read Page 0-2 again  :), you will find the VIN # derivative is also located at the back of the engine, it is stamped in the engine block behind the intake manifold, probably dirty and hard to see there.  You will also find for the Eldorado the VIN derivative "... located on the vertical support pad on left of transmission (6L only)"  6L stands for Eldorado.

danjarrett1

Yes, I have confirmed both engine block derivative and tranny, both check out.  I was just wondering if the full VIN is stamped or otherwise anywhere ( apart from the driver door sticker)on the car. I saw a depiction on a 60’s Deville that pinpointed a VIN stamped on the rear of the frame near the left rear quarter panel. Just wondering if there is any application to the 70’s caddy’s.
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

V63

There is a hidden VIN (at least 1) that’s only disclosed to law enforcement, it is on top of the frame so altering it would involve separating the body from the frame, done for obvious reasons.

danjarrett1

2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado