News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

74 Eldorado Self-Level/Auto-Ride

Started by danjarrett1, January 10, 2018, 04:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

Does anyone know is the self leveling functionality was standard equipment on a 74 Eldo? When I bought my car, there were air shocks with a filler port near the gas tank filler neck. I'm assuming that this was done to replace a failed system...and I'm fine with it, the ride height is good, just wondering if my car has the self leveling system that has somehow been disconnect or removed. From the shop manual I understand there should be a pump in the right front fender somewhere. I really don't intend on trying to re-establish the system, the air shocks seem to be doing a good job.
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The rear self leveling was standard for a number of years on the
Eldorado including 1974.  Is you original compressor still there?
Look in the passenger side lower part of the inner fender, that's
where it would be if the previous owner left it in.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

danjarrett1

1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Further information re the filler point in the rear, if the original rear shocks wore out, the replacements would most probably have a single filling inlet, and therefore not easily adaptable to the original system.

Whenever I set up a replacement system, that bypasses the OEM style, I use two filling points, and fill each one up to where I want the car to sit.

The problem with a single point fill, and the original style is that when going around corners, the air transfers from the outside bag to the inside bag, on the corner that is, and this transfer allows the vehicle to drop down on the outside, creating excess body roll.

It is a pity Cadillac didn't design a system that either stopped the "cross-flow", or transferred the air from the low pressure side to the high pressure side, levelling the vehicle out on corners.

I am looking for a solenoid that I can place in the "cross line" to separate the shocks and be able to design an automatic system to control this "flow". 

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon