News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

74 Eldorado, Passenger Side Mirror

Started by danjarrett1, January 18, 2018, 04:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjarrett1

I purchased my 1974 Eldorado in October of 2017. I have been posting questions and soliciting answered from this very learned group....forum members. Never ceases to amaze me just how much you guys know about these great cars. Anyways, when the previous owner sent photos to me, I noticed that there was no passenger side mirror on the door as expected. When I took delivery of the car and inspected it, quite honestly, I didn't question it. While driving the car however, I do find myself gazing to the right side only to discover...there's nothing to see! I don't see any evidence of there ever being a passenger mirror. No tell-tale mount on the dash for the remote/mechanical adjusting cable, obviously no holes in the door. Question: Does anyone know if the passenger mirror was an option or mandatory on both door positions? My Eldorado also does not have factory cruise control, which I find odd. The factory mirror (driver's door)  is oddly small anyways, I wouldn't dare replace them with larger more modern mirrors but guess I am in the market for a good used passenger side mirror is anyone has a lead on one.
1974 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
2007 Cadillac Escalade
1980 Cadillac Seville “Bustleback”
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I know for certain that the passenger side view mirror
(cable remote) as well as cruise control were both optional for
the 1973 Eldorado and I believe the same applied for 1974.

The remote (via cable) drivers side mirror was standard.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

danjarrett1

2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Mike is correct.
The interchange is:
1971 to 1973 all
1974 to 1976 Deville & 1974 to 1978 Eldo.
MANY people  do NOT know the difference.
Make SURE you get all the hardware especially at the joy stick.
There is a tab inside the door. You need to push the cable into it otherwise the mirror  will be floppy.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

danjarrett1

2007 Cadillac Escalade
1985 Cadillac Eldorado

J. Skelly

Hi Bob,

What's the difference between the '71-'73 and '74-78 mirrors on the Eldorado?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Jim,
#1 The length of the cable. I think the 74 up are longer??
#2 The way the joy stick attaches.
#3 There may be an additional support plate for the mirror inside the door skin.
That's what I remember. Been awhile since I had them in hand.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Eldorado James

Jettison back to the 1970's!  Passenger side mirrors were a novelty....in 1971, Cadillac started offering remote control versions (first time) and they didn't sell like hotcakes.  Many new safety regulations came into place around 1974-75, but did not include making passenger mirrors standard equipment.

Attached for your reading pleasure is the 1976 options portion of a Salesman's Merchandising Guide.   Only the Fleetwood Limousine / Model 75 had them as standard equipment....that is why you see so many Eldorados and Fleetwoods (at the end of the Big Car era) without them.

You can upgrade your car....requires the mirror for your year, gasket (template), dash mount toggle bracket...and some saavy handywork since you have to completely open the door panel and center dash pad.  I have all the parts needed...there is also a brace within the upper door that should be used, otherwise your mirror would be wobbly in windy conditions.  The brace is basically a metal version of the gasket, to strengthen the mount.

Regards
James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

J. Skelly

thanks for the info, Bob H.;

The mirrors are not too difficult to install, but you have to take your time so you don't break anything - especially with the dashboard.  If you are getting one from a junkyard, measure the diameter and positioning of the holes (one for the remote cable and two for the mirror mounts).  You could even make a quick template by placing a piece of paper over the holes and press over each hole to leave impressions on the paper, or use a fine tip marker.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Eldorado James

Good idea about the "junkyard template" idea.  Attached is a pic of the gasket, which is what I make sure that people have additionally as a way to template....create holes in a piece of cardboard for the mirror studs, then cut out the center hole dead-center.  Mark the spots, and center punch the hole locations before drilling...otherwise your drill will run away down the door and ruin some paint. :-o
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.