News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking for a body shop in Raleigh or Sanford NC area.

Started by RobertM, December 15, 2017, 07:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hi all,
I am looking for recommendations for a body shop in the Raleigh or Sanford NC area. I have a '54 60 Special and am looking for a shop to do body and paint. She is a great 20-footer, but once you get close you can see it's a tired quickie 80s paint job.

I already did everything under the hood. Rebuilt motor and trans, everything under there is restored/refurbished/repainted. But I'm definitely not a bodywork guy. To cut costs or time,  I could do the grunt work (sanding, etc).

Let me know if you know a restoration shop, or even a collision/body shop that will take a side project.

I currently live in Connecticut but plan on moving soon down toward that area to be nearer my parents and some other family. I want to bring the car down this winter ahead of my move.

Thanks!

Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

RobertM

I brought the old girl to my parent's place in Sanford, North Carolina. Still no good leads on a place to do paint chrome and interior. I have a couple appointments this week to talk to places from a Google search,  but I'd really like to get some recommendations.

Anyone? Thanks!
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

Belgium1958owner

My sister is living in Raleigh.
I could ask her.

Are you from Raleigh ?
1958 Eldorado Seville, body 481
1956 Eldorado Seville, body 1968
1958 Eldorado Seville, body 612 (parts car)
Member of : 1958 Cadillac Owner Association
CLC # 29119
1956 Packard Four Hundred Coupe, body 3002
1956 Packard Caribbean hardtop, body 81

RobertM

Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

Jason Edge

Phillip Lee, of Lee's Collision just outside Raleigh, between Garner & Clayton, repainted my 1964 Coupe de Ville and addressed issues in the body in 2015 and was very, very pleased.  Phillip and his Dad have had the shop since 1958, and has been at current location for 50 years.  They are local boys that know how to get it done. Their website with contact info is at www.leescollision.com   
My Caddy was originally repainted in 2005 but there were many waves and issues left in the body. Phillip is well known in the Garner, Clayton, SE Raleigh area for his quality work, however, he mainly does collision insurance work and typically does not take on complete classic car repaints. Backing up a bit, I had a few "garage accidents' with my 64 Caddy and knew I wanted to find someone that did quality work. Plus, the Sierra Gold is not the easiest color to match.  After doing a superb job on some repair work ... again from my garage mishaps... I asked him to paint the car, knowing he would not take it on all at once as he has a very busy shop! What we came up with was I took the car in for a week in Jan, then in Feb, and I think in March and May, knocking out different sections of the car, such as the front clip, rear clip, doors, etc.  That worked out because I would usually drive up on a Monday and have my car back on a Friday, or the following Monday ... and I could spread the cost out. Lee's Collision has also repaired other cars owned by members in our Eastern NC CLC members, including a red 1969 red convertible not too long ago, and of course the owner was very pleased. 
I am sure you will find other references for other quality paint and body shops, but I can Vouch for Lee's Collision.  In fact we are going to do the same thing with my 2002 Escalade EXT starting sometime later this year, as I will take it in and let him start redoing it section by section. So if you are not in a super hurry Phillip Lee might be someone to consider.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

RobertM

Thank you Jason,

I will give them a call Monday.
Looking forward to hopefully meeting you sometime when I end up relocating down that way. Looks like Sanford/Broadway may be my final destination.
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

CadillacRob

RobertM I wish I could help ya.  I'm from Raleigh but live 3 hours away in Charlotte now.  I do restoration work there, but the shops main focus is detail and collision/paint on modern cars. 

A friend of mine still lives in Raleigh and his father gets all kinds of cars restored at a place there, I'm sure they might suggest somebody if you're interested.

My parents still live in Raleigh and I'm restoring my 56, which I hope to road trip up there this summer! 
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville