News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67 Eldo rear speakers dimensions ?

Started by jerryjansson, January 14, 2018, 04:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryjansson

Hi.
Planning to replace the original stereo - speakers in the rear shelf of my 67 Eldo
Car is stored for the winter, ( winter ends in Stockholm mid-april ) so I can not check this "live".
Anybody out there knows what speaker - size to use ?
Cheers
Jerry J
Stockholm
Sweden
Jerry Jansson
Stockholm
Sweden
currently 67 Eldorado, previously: 1957 Eldorado Brougham #284, 1959 Seville #975, 1960 Eldorado Brougham #94

67_Eldo

Here are pictures of one of the speakers I removed from my 67 Eldorado last year. I believe this is an original speaker.

In American terms, the Eldorado uses the classic "6 x 9" inch oval speakers. The problem comes if you aren't seeking out exact duplicates for replacements. The original speaker (by my measurement) is 70mm deep, from top of speaker gasket to bottom of magnet.

As usual, I found out the hard way that you can't simply plop the vast majority of modern 6 x 9 speakers into a 67 Eldorado. This is due to the torsion springs that hold the trunk lid open. Those springs run just beneath the bottoms of the speakers with very little clearance. You can make a tiny bit of additional clearance by moving the torsion springs to other positions, but such moves won't buy you much additional space. Plus, moving those torsion springs takes more force than you might think!

You'll also notice the (torn) fabric over these speakers. Unlike most current aftermarket items, the original speakers didn't have high-frequency driver elements that pop up in the middle. From the factory, there is no slack above the Eldorado speaker because the package shelf acts as the speaker cover.

I bought the thinnest modern speakers I could find (not outrageously pricey) that still sounded way better than the originals. The center sections in these Kenwoods protruded as little as possible among the speakers I could find. And the magnets were no deeper than stock.

To handle the small protrusion above the package shelf, I had to cut out the strip of metal that went across the face of the speaker. I really didn't want to -- this is the only place on the car that I've cut or drilled original metal -- but the tradeoff was worth it for me.

Then I made a spacer that fit underneath the top-most layer of the package shelf to keep the speaker unencumbered. There's enough slack in the way that the package shelf is assembled that my spacer didn't cause any problems. Now my package shelf sits just above the mid- and high-range drivers in the centers of the speakers.

Also, be wary of the screws that hold the speakers in. In my case, somebody had been there before and messed up some of the screws. (What a surprise!) I had to clear out most of the original screws and put in new ones to get everything back together.

This should be an easy job, but the Eldorado-ness of the situation might cause a few unexpected delays. :-)

Good luck!

76eldo

If you are replacing speakers, I would recommend www.turnswitch.com as a great source.  They supply the correct speakers for our cars.  You need to stay with a  10 ohm speaker if you are keeping the stock radio.  Most modern speakers are 4 ohm and these will damage your radio's amp section.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

jerryjansson

Thanks guys ! Seems I have to try to visit the car to check whats going on under the shelf ;-)
Cheers
Jerry J
Jerry Jansson
Stockholm
Sweden
currently 67 Eldorado, previously: 1957 Eldorado Brougham #284, 1959 Seville #975, 1960 Eldorado Brougham #94