News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1980 Eldo Blower Motor problem

Started by steve punzo, January 17, 2018, 09:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve punzo

Hi Guys,
      1980 Eldo , fan continues to run after car is turned off. Changed blower motor regulator, it worked for a few days and started happening again . Had to unplug the green ground wire near the firewall to shut it off.    Could something be shorting out the BMR or is there another issue of which I'm not aware.  Any suggestions welcome and appreciated .
  Thanks

Dave Shepherd

So you changed the power module?  Have you tested the circuit to see if when the key is off the module is powering the blower, is this a new one, they were notorious for this type of failure.

steve punzo

Thanks Dave.
    Yes, that's exactly what happened.  2 days after installing the new module, the fan continued to run.  Was not aware that they were notorious failures.  My mechanic referred to it as the blower motor regulator.  Is that and the power module one and the same?

TJ Hopland

That is a common failure mode for that type of electronics.  Usually caused by the blower overloading the speed control device.   Some years and models can be very hard to find today.   Even back when they were easy to find they were kinda expensive.   Not sure if anyone is repairing them.   First roadblock is they are potted which is where they cover the circuit board with epoxy so its quite a project just to be able to see stuff but it makes it hard to identify components. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

smokuspollutus

As I recall this is an 80-81 part with a 3 wire ground. As TJ mentioned, the blower motor overloads this part-it overheats and causes a permanent short to ground of the blower motor and/or compressor, ie always on and/or always engaged. Good practice is to change the blower motor when changing the module. My '84 ate modules before I changed the blower motor and replaced the module with new.