News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Oil Smoking in a V-16

Started by Tony C, May 18, 2005, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony C

We can assume that the smoking goes beyond burning up the oil used in assembly, correct? Proper break-in after overhaul or rebuild is to run the engine at 1000-1100 RPM and put it under moderate load as soon as possible. The higher RPM floods the rings and gives enough lube to seat the rings properly. Particularly true if you installed chrome rings. (Why ever would you do that?) This is according to of the era ring manufactures and most modern manuals. Perfect Circle etc. That having been said, its possible that a ring was broken installing the pistons. It can happen. Also did you check all the dimensions inside the engine before you picked it up from the machine shop? Cyl bores can be mis-cut. After doing a dry and wet compression check, do a leak down test. Your rebuilder will know about this procedure if you arent familiar with it. I assume the beather is OK. Leakage at the valve guides is another source of oil burning. Unlikely if everything is new or within factory spec. Oil in the intake manifold is an indicator of this condition. Final thought: Probably glazed cyl walls. Pull the heads, and run a dry carbide ball hone up & down a couple of times, button it up and run it. Dont even think about Ajax. It scars the cyl walls longitudinally. A 16 cyl. Cad doesnt deserve that abuse. This happened to me. Twice. Once on a 346 when I didnt know any better, and the second time with an in-line Chrysler 8 I overhauled that a friend started up for me after we installed it.  I was out of the shop. When I came in ten minutes later, it was idling smoothly and sedately at 450. That one was a mosquito killing SOB. Hope this helps.