News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Trying to remove water pump

Started by quazirra, January 13, 2016, 12:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quazirra

1969 CADILLAC COUPE DEVILLE- i'M TRYING TO REPLACE THE WATER PUMP BUT i CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO LOOSEN THE BELT THAT DRIVES THE AIR PUMP & WATER PUMP. IS THERE A WAY TO LOOSEN THE AIR PUMP TO GET THAT BELT OFF??

TJ Hopland

The air pump is what moves.  Its been a while but I think there are 3 bolts you have to loosen.   Its kinda hard to see under the alternator. 

One tip is to be very careful with the 3?  7/16 head bolts in the water pump.   They only thread into the thin 'tin' timing cover and are very easy to damage the threads.   The other bolts are much larger and thread into the block so they are not very sensitive.   Also note that the shop manual give the spec for the small ones in inch pounds and the rest in foot pounds.  Don't have a brain fart like I did one time and try to crank em up to foot pounds.   If they do strip I have been told that if you find the equivalent size bolt in metric that it is slightly larger enough that you can carefully thread it in and it will hold.   

Most recommend that any time the timing cover is removed that you weld a couple nuts on the back side to give a little more bite for those bolts so you never have to worry about them again.   Timing cover is not simple to remove and reinstall properly so its not something you want to do just cuz. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

quazirra

So the air pump doesn't have the tension adjustment like the generator? I have to actually remove it to get the belt off? I'm glad you told me about the bolts, I had no idea.

TJ Hopland

The air pump does have slots in the brackets just like the alternator.  Its just that being tucked under the alternator they can be a little harder to see.    And again I'm going from memory which is for sure fuzzy but I am thinking there is one pivot one you have to loosen then 2 in slots and one of them was a little harder to get to.    Maybe one is on the back?   Its just been too long since I did one.    It was the same setup 68-79 so I'm sure someone with a better memory than me will be along soon to tell you where to look.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

And another tip when you get the pump off compare it to the new one particularly on the inlet hose side where the AC belt goes by it.   There were 2 different pumps at one time due to a change in the AC belt setup.   It seems that 95% of the pumps in circulation fit either style of belts but figure its worth checking before you get everything bolted back up and find out the belt won't clear.   I have never personally seen one that won't work on the earlier engines but have heard of it happening a few times. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

Found a photo that shows the bracket.   The slot looks to be back side bottom. 

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Scot Minesinger

Since you are going to replace the belt (presume you are), you could just cut it with shop scissors.  The with water pump off you will probably be see how it went together.  Rarely proceed this way, but every once and a while need to make some progress.  I'm sure it must specify how this is done in the shop manual. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty