Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1938 carb replacement
« Last post by Steve Passmore on Today at 03:00:53 AM »
That leather Acc pump should not be hard to push down Giff. There are two possibilities.
You may have folded up the leather when assembling the top cover (it happens) The other thing,  it could be the wrong plunger.  I have a NOS pump here which is a real tight fit in its chamber. Bought it years ago but It is not for these carbs. The leather is just too large.  Don't know what it's for but it's just too tight. You may have bought one of these.
That may not be boiling in the pump bowl Robert. It's never that hot here and one of my 41s has bubbles in the bowl sometimes. I don't know anything about how your electric pump is connected but could it be the mechanical pump is having trouble pulling fuel through the electric one?  If that were the case the mechanical could be creating a vacuum and pulling air bubbles from any fitting it could find, then just run out of fuel.    Just a thought.
Hello DylanFan52,

The following link has pictures of the fluid coupling to give you an idea of what it looks like.

This is how the first Hydramatic (till 1955) is looking like. However, the fluid coupling from the '56 to '63 Hydramatic is very similar. The other images from your link are less relevant.
For Sale / Re: Caddy parts mostly 50-60, some 70s
« Last post by arch62 on Today at 12:52:45 AM »
Chuck,
Am looking for the cruise control dash switch for a 1962 Coupe DeVille. I believe the part number is 12.1457.

Where are you home based. If not at the show a visit may be worthwhile.
Pete
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 78 Eldorado Power Steering / Brakes
« Last post by Glen on Today at 12:46:16 AM »
Bruce, how do you keep track of all the parts, when they were installed etc.?  Do you put date of installation on them or do you keep a written log, or .. ? 
Just curious.
Technical / Authenticity / 78 Eldorado Power Steering / Brakes
« Last post by bcroe on Yesterday at 10:54:23 PM »
That is Hydro Boost, right?  Like my diesel cars.  I don't wait for
pressure hoses to break, I replace them about every 2 decades. 
Bruce Roe
Want To Buy / Re: WANT TO BUY
« Last post by Jeff Rose CLC #28373 on Yesterday at 10:54:22 PM »
As you are already in the Wanted section, may I suggest you put what you want to buy in your title.
Jeff
For all you pros...

I've seen this issue discussed here before but will ask for any comments once again.  Just installed my newly overhauled 346.  Drove it about 40 miles today working on the break in.

It was a hot day here....93 degrees.  The car would vapor lock every 4 or 5 miles. I'd turn on the electric fuel pump and all would be fine.  When I raised the hood while only running the engine driven pump the fuel would boil,lots of rolling bubbles in the glass bowl on the fuel pump. When I would turn the electric on....the bubbles and boiling stopped.

Before it was overhauled I could drive it 15 to 25 miles at a time, even on hot days just using the engine driven pump.  Every 15/25 miles it would begin to cut out and I would turn on the electric pump momentarily everything would be fine again for several miles then repeat.

The engine driven pump was newly rebuilt about 1,200 mile ago.  It actually never worked much better than the old one.  But I kept it anyway with the old one as a spare backup.

Before it was overhauled I had the fuel line wrapped with insulation tape about 12 inches of line before the fuel pump.  Tomorrow I will wrap it again and see if that helps.  By the way....I am running 87 octane non-ethanol fuel....with a bit of Marvel Magic stuff added.  I've tried 100 low lead aviation gas and everything in between prior to the overhaul. Nothing helped.

I am about ready to just run the electric pump all the time. Hate to do that though. But if I must.

What do you think?

Bob
General Discussion / Low speed motor mode stop motor
« Last post by bcroe on Yesterday at 10:42:42 PM »
That is quite a powerful motor.  I once bought a replacement, which fit
but didn't move nearly enough air.  The Asian motor did't have the
needed power.  I won't be doing that again.  Bruce Roe
General Discussion / Re: Cadillac flathead alternators
« Last post by Giff on Yesterday at 10:04:38 PM »
when you change to 12v do you leave 6v starter or change every thing 12? I sure wish mine turned faster!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10