News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Thanks Tom, just wanted to be sure since it's quite the tight fit and this is mi first time working on anything older than 1965.

Quote from: Tom Boehm on Yesterday at 11:04:50 PMI don't see why you would have to remove the generator. There are two bolts holding the fuel pump on. I can reach the one between the pump and the block with a 10" extension between a ratchet and 1/2" socket.

The timing cover is a big casting bolted the front of the engine. Both the fuel pump and the generator attach to the timing cover.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1941 Series 63 Front Shock...
Last post by Jay Friedman - Yesterday at 11:37:10 PM
1949 was the last year that Cadillac used front (and back) lever action shocks like the 1947A/B and the 1946G/H.  As J. Russo said, the difference for most years is in the arms.  Between some shocks the arm difference is quite apparent like the one inch difference between these two models.  In some other years the differences are very small and not readily apparent. 

I found this out when some years ago I sent my '49's shocks to a well known rebuilder.  To speed things up they suggested an exchange of my shocks with an already rebuilt pair they had in stock.  After I installed the new pair a local wheel alignment shop could not get the camber to adjust to the correct specifications.  It turned out the arms on the new shocks were slightly different.  I had to remove the rebuilt shocks, send them back and have them rebuild my original shocks which had the correct arms.  As anyone who had done this knows, it's a big job which includes taking apart the front suspension and wrestling with the front coil spring. You don't want to do it unless absolutely necessary so, in my opinon, have your shocks rebuilt, don't exchange them. 

Thankfully, Cadillac introduced modern tubular shocks in 1950. 
General Discussion / Re: Wheres The Ark?
Last post by MultipleCaddies - Yesterday at 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: skinny_tom on Yesterday at 11:21:49 PMHow many ads are the non-paying forum users willing to tolerate? They should be shown that many -1. The dues paying members should see zero.

That's the model that works. Everyone pays, it's just that the revenue comes from a different source when they don't join.

This is a proven model from other forums as well as all the apps on our phones. I get to try the app "for free" but with ads. When I realize the value of it, or get tired of the ads, I buy it. Or I realize it's of no value, I'm not out any money, and I'm gone.

I'm not convinced that closing out non-paying people is a good plan. I would not have joined had I not been able to experience the value of the content here. But I'm also an anomaly in that I'll pay/join for the sake of direct support for a place like this... but I have to have the chance to see the value first.

Now, if it's a matter of blocking out the bots and scammers, then that's a different matter.

This is exactly it. Paying members see no ads and get the club benefits, non-paying members see ads. Maybe they don't have access to the classifieds. Just like you said, that is a long-proven model that absolutely works.
General Discussion / Re: Goodbye & thanks.
Last post by MultipleCaddies - Yesterday at 11:23:01 PM
Quote from: Jay Friedman on Yesterday at 11:18:59 PMI'm just curious.  Can anyone tell me why the people who are leaving the forum are so against the idea of joining the CLC.  It's not expensive; certainly not compared to the cost of restoring and maintaining a vintage car. 

Because "it's only $25" is not reason enough on its own to spend $25.
Last post by skinny_tom - Yesterday at 11:21:49 PM
How many ads are the non-paying forum users willing to tolerate? They should be shown that many -1. The dues paying members should see zero.

That's the model that works. Everyone pays, it's just that the revenue comes from a different source when they don't join.

This is a proven model from other forums as well as all the apps on our phones. I get to try the app "for free" but with ads. When I realize the value of it, or get tired of the ads, I buy it. Or I realize it's of no value, I'm not out any money, and I'm gone.

I'm not convinced that closing out non-paying people is a good plan. I would not have joined had I not been able to experience the value of the content here. But I'm also an anomaly in that I'll pay/join for the sake of direct support for a place like this... but I have to have the chance to see the value first.

Now, if it's a matter of blocking out the bots and scammers, then that's a different matter.
Last post by druby - Yesterday at 11:19:51 PM
Sue, if you attended the meeting I'm sure you know the answers, somebody has the unredacted minutes from the Winter board meeting.
Last post by MultipleCaddies - Yesterday at 11:19:45 PM
I know that I have this effect on certain people. It's almost always the folks who are utterly incapable of seeing any perspective other than their own, and take personal offense to anyone challenging them on anything. My perspective is well-founded, based on huge amounts of precedent seen all over the internet. Very very easy for anyone who wants to do their research to confirm. It's not my opinion, it's established fact. I would encourage anyone to try to prove me wrong. The humongous majority of internet forums simply don't work this way. Some folks simply cannot handle someone presenting facts that differ from their mindset. Well I couldn't care less about whether or not that offends the old guard - what needs to be said, needs to be said. I've long had great disdain for people who choose not to rock the boat in favor of keeping people's delicate feelings intact, even when things are obviously going wrong. This is one of those occasions where something simply has to be said.
Last post by Jay Friedman - Yesterday at 11:18:59 PM
I'm just curious.  Can anyone tell me why the people who are leaving the forum are so against the idea of joining the CLC.  It's not expensive; certainly not compared to the cost of restoring and maintaining a vintage car. 
Last post by Carfreak - Yesterday at 11:07:32 PM
Quote from: druby on Yesterday at 11:03:36 PMand we're ALL board members in favor of this idea ?

I don't know who put the idea on the Winter Board Meeting Agenda but to the best of my recollection YES the decision was pretty much unanimous in favor to make the change.

Dan, I'm telling you again, if you want to help make decisions, join the Board. I can't be the only one riling them up all the time.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1939 Cadillac Series 61 Fu...
Last post by Tom Boehm - Yesterday at 11:04:50 PM
I don't see why you would have to remove the generator. There are two bolts holding the fuel pump on. I can reach the one between the pump and the block with a 10" extension between a ratchet and 1/2" socket.

The timing cover is a big casting bolted the front of the engine. Both the fuel pump and the generator attach to the timing cover.