News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

52-56 air cleaner question

Started by Caddy Wizard, September 11, 2017, 11:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

Does anyone know how to locate a replacement gasket/seal for the inside of the 1952-1956 air cleaner?  If you remove the top cover, and then remove the big round oil breather part, there is a seal or gasket that is several inches in diameter that seals and cushions the big round oil breather's central opening to the air horn of the air cleaner base.  When these go bad, the air cleaner has a hard time staying put, no matter how hard you tighten the wing nut.  I think that the parts book says that this is part number 155 2256 ("Seal, shroud to air cleaner")

Anyone figured out what part this is and where to buy one?  I can take pictures and post later (after Hurricane Irma passes by us here in Georgia)...

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

J. Gomez

Art,

The Felpro part # is 11528 this will fit 1955-1956 not sure if it also goes back to '52. ???

I believe folks use small rubber tubing (split length wide) around the filter housing to better seal and steady the air cleaner from becoming loose. 

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Caddy Wizard

Jose,

Thanks.  I think that the FelPro part number you list is the base gasket that goes between the air cleaner base and the top of the carb.  I am looking for the internal gasket in the air cleaner...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Glen

How about seal, shroud to air cleaner. 

It gives a GM number but maybe you can find a FelPro number from this. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Caddy Wizard

Glen,

Yes, that is the Cadillac part number I referenced in my original post. 
Art Gardner

Bob Kielar

Art,
       I have the same problem with my 55. Never thought of a gasket.I do not know what the original gasket is. If I understand you correctly do you think a 13 or 13 1/2" o ring would work. There is a flat spot where the two meet. I saw some from McMaster Carr 5 for about $9.00. Also I believe Amazon has them. Hopefully Irma took it easy on Atlanta.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Glen

Quote from: Art Gardner  CLC 23021 on September 12, 2017, 01:59:27 PM
Glen,

Yes, that is the Cadillac part number I referenced in my original post.

Oops, guess I missed that.  Sorry
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadman56

What about using a small diameter O-ring?  I used to work at a bearing distributor who carried o-rings of all sizes and cross sections.  I would almost bet you could find one to work?
Good luck.  Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820