News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Wheel Brake Cylinder compression fittings insert

Started by 55 ledsled, September 14, 2017, 02:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 ledsled

Hello,
I bought some new brake cylinders for my 55 and had one hell of a time screwing in the brake lines. They wanted to go really far in...further than what my wrench could get a good grip on. Come to notice, I see that there might be some sort of cone compression fitting that should be in the hole like shown in my photo. Should the new cylinders come with these already inserted or can one buy some of these inserts and put them in the hole?
Thanks for your help!

Caddy Wizard

The new cylinders should either have these brass fittings pre-installed or the cast iron should be machined to replicate this.  But one way or another, they need the inverted flare surface for your flared brake line to seal against.  Otherwise, the line will never seal.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I got all 4 from OPG and didn't have an issue. At least I don't think I do. Just tested in the garage. Hopefully I can test for real next weekend.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille