News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1947 steering column

Started by Gary Bakeslee, September 14, 2017, 08:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Bakeslee

I am working on a 1947 Cadillac Convertible and the spring clip for my shift handle is broke.  The spring is located in the column at the shift lever.  This spring holds the shifting handle from going into reverse without picking up on the handle. Would someone know of a parts supplier that may offer this spring or where I might be able to purchase one?        Gary.B
Gary Blakeslee

Bobby B

Gary,
Hi...They're all broken. If I remember correctly, you're talking about the "U-Shaped" piece of spring steel? I think I put a compatible spring in there and it works like a charm. I'll check over the weekend and take a picture. You have to improvise with the things..... ;)
                                                                                                                                                             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jay Friedman

Several years ago there was a guy selling those springs for a reasonable cost: Joe Alcorn, 111 W. Park Blvd., Westmont NJ 08108-3345, phone: 856-858-8899.  Don't know if he still has any but it's worth a try.  I've also seen them for sale on ebay from time to time.  If you find one let me know at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com and I'll send you a copy of an article with installation tips.

Jay

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Gary Bakeslee

Thanks Guys,  To the quick response to my steering column problem.  I contacted Joe Alcorn and he still has spring clips for sale and very reasonable.
                                        Gary B.
Gary Blakeslee

Jay Friedman

Greg, I received your email, but mistakenly erased it.  Please re-send it.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."