News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Correct fuel pump and fuel filter for 1959 Eldorado Biarritz 3x2 engine

Started by ocs59cad, September 14, 2017, 08:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocs59cad

I am attempting to verify the correct fuel pump for a 1959 Biarritz 3x2 engine. My search has led me to an AC Delco #4622 but I would appreciate the experts on this forum to confirm. Also, for purposes of correctness for Preservation Class, was the original filter something other than a pleated paper element? Thanks!

Dan LeBlanc

The original element was not a paper filter.  Instead it looked like a red rock in the fuel bowl - that's about the only way I can describe it.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

David Greenburg

It was actually sintered bronze, and I believe is cleanable/reusable, although I have not tried to do that. I have one floating around somewhere and will post a picture this evening unless someone beats me to it.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

There were two different pumps depending on whether equipped with air conditioning. In either case, Airtex makes a pump that looks almost identical except the lid cover is plain. Original pump lid cover has a relief-raised "AC" marking in the center. This cover can easily be swapped onto the Airtex pump for factory correct appearance. Of course, you'll have to find an original  pump to harvest the lid from if you don't have one.

Also note the fuel pump should be painted blue before installing.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Daddio

Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

ocs59cad

Thanks for the replies. I am attempting to resurrect what I believe to be an excellent candidate for the Preservation Class. It was always garaged, well cared for and most importantly, it is fundamentally original. There are a few items, such as the fuel pump, fuel filter, etc. that have been replaced and I thought it best to replace these items to an original specification, if possible. There are used and NOS AC Delco fuel pumps available; this car has no A/C, so would the #4622 be the period correct unit? As for the fuel filter, I do remember early filters being a bronze 'frit' style, but maybe less effective than the pleated paper element. I may just take the hit on judging points and use the paper element. Daddio, thanks for the pic.

Dan LeBlanc

Are you going for an AACA HPOF, CLC Preservation award, or otherwise?

My former 61 Fleetwood had a modern paper filter, repro plug wires, hoses, and stuff (normal maintenance items) and it didn't stop that car from getting a preservation award at the 2014 Grand National.  David Greenburg who posted in this thread owns the car now.

The car, an unrestored original also won a first place junior in 2013 at Hershey, first place primary at the Lake George 2014 CLC GN, and a first place senior at Hershey in 2015.  The paper fuel filter was never a deduction at all three events.
Dan LeBlanc

ocs59cad

Dan, my intention is to go for the CLC Preservation award. Yes, this car has some consumable maintenance parts that are not original. Having never gone through the judging process for Preservation, I appreciate your advice!

This year when '59s were judged, I do not believe any deductions resulted regardless of filter element type used in regular Primary judging; nor would it have any bearing on qualification for Preservation award whatsoever. Of that you can be 100% assured.

Quote from: ocs59cad on September 15, 2017, 12:30:30 PM
Dan, my intention is to go for the CLC Preservation award. Yes, this car has some consumable maintenance parts that are not original. Having never gone through the judging process for Preservation, I appreciate your advice!

For that matter, the fuel pump wouldn't have much bearing either. Preservation Class is mainly concerned with originality of major areas of the car, ie: paint, body, interior unpholstery, glass and chrome - as in unrestored & untouched since new.
The judges are really not that concerned with smaller items like fuel pumps, batteries, etc.

Restored to original appearance is outside the criteria of the Preservation class.

Dan LeBlanc

Eric is correct.  To go for a preservation award, a team of CLC past presidents will thoroughly examine the car.  There's no points scoring or anything like that.  If their conclusion is that a car is an original as presented (I forget the %), the award is given.

The Past Presidents' Preservation award is one of the highest honours a car can get in the CLC. 
Dan LeBlanc

ocs59cad

That's very helpful information. The car is an unmolested example with respect to the exterior, interior, glass, trim and convertible top, with the exception of having had the rear window in the top replaced many years ago. I intend to do a thorough detailing of the car and to ensure everything operates mechanically.

Car is supposed to be a minimum of "75% Original" to qualify.

I believe 20%(?) MAX for each of the items: Interior, paint, chrome, glass, engine and 10% for convertible roof (IIRC).

Participant is honor bound to list the percentage of each area NOT restored on the application for Preservation judging which is submitted prior to the GN.

Keep in mind, a 1935 car that had been repainted in 1957 is likely be viewed differently than a 1985 that was repainted in 2010 so it's not always completely cut and dried. It's a gray area and entirely at the discretion of the team of Past Presidents.

Quote from: ocs59cad on September 15, 2017, 01:00:08 PM
That's very helpful information. The car is an unmolested example with respect to the exterior, interior, glass, trim and convertible top, with the exception of having had the rear window in the top replaced many years ago. I intend to do a thorough detailing of the car and to ensure everything operates mechanically.

Sounds incredible.

Would you be so good as to post some pictures of this fine '59 EBZ?

ocs59cad

It will be my pleasure. The car is stored in a garage away from my house so I will snap some photos tomorrow.

35-709

"There are used and NOS AC Delco fuel pumps available ...."

Be careful about using NOS pumps, the older rubber diaphragm in them does not hold up very well with the ethanol laced fuel many of us (have to) use these days.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

59-in-pieces

Michael,
Just for fun, here is a pic of the top of a 59 fuel pump with raised AC letters and make sure it has slotted screws & painted as the engine, in blue
Have fun,
Steve B
S. Butcher

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 15, 2017, 11:26:22 AM
There were two different pumps depending on whether equipped with air conditioning.
In my opinion, there was just one pump, A/C or not. However, the fuel filter was different with the return line to the tank.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on September 16, 2017, 02:56:19 AM
In my opinion, there was just one pump, A/C or not. However, the fuel filter was different with the return line to the tank.

Ya you're right there.

ocs59cad

59-in-Pieces, thanks for the detailed view of the pump top. I will attempt to post a pic of the '59 Caddy. It has been garaged under a car cover whenever it was not driven. One-family owned since new and carefully used. Off the road for...a long time.