News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

On The Road Help

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, September 15, 2017, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Guys,

My '62 just started having trouble and I'm on a road trip.  At speed -- 50 or so -- it starts to miss and cut out.  My problem almost always is fuel pump so I keep a spare, but what is weird is that the car runs fine at slow speeds.  First gear, second gear, no problem.  Once into third, however, chug, chug, chug.

Any ideas?  Should I swap the pump?  Or could this be transmission?  Fluids are normal of course.

Gary

Dan LeBlanc

Still running points and condenser?  Could be that those are starting to fail at higher RPM and under load, although I wouldn't rule out the fuel pump either.  Check to make sure the pin that holds the pump arm in hasn't started to back out preventing full operation of the pump.  These pumps are notorious for that.

Also, pull the cap off the fuel pump . . . there's a little valve in there that tends to pop out (metal round disc).  If that's floating around in there, pop it back in and stake it to keep it from coming back out.  Just another area where these pumps (especially if rebuilt) can be weak.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Electronic ignition.

Got it.  I'll check.  I have a spare pump.

Thanks.

Gary. 

Dan LeBlanc

Seems with the electronic ignitions, they work or they don't.  That's the good part.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

New pump is on and all is good.

Does anyone know of a way to stop the ethanol from ruining the diaphragm?  Someone told me that there is some stuff that I can add to the fuel to prevent the ethanol from ruining things, but I'm not sure that I believe such a thing is possible.

Thanks for the help.

Gary

Lexi

Not sure if the '62 is similar to the one on my '56, but I once had a fuel issue that was similar. The pump was sucking in air through that big nut up on top. Because it was a suction leak I did not have gasoline leaking out, just air getting sucked in which revealed performance issues at higher speeds. Eventually I had starting issues as not enough gas was getting into the carb bowl. I installed a new metal/viton washer and wrapped the threads with gas fitter's tape. For a road trip, wrapping those threads would be a good fix for now, (just don't use teflon tape), Think the bolt size was 7/8 on my car. Hope this helps. Clay/Lexi

35-709

"Does anyone know of a way to stop the ethanol from ruining the diaphragm?"

Use a pump with an ethanol resistant diaphragm, any recent rebuilt pump should have the newer composition diaphragm.  Why it is not a good idea to use a NOS pump without replacing the diaphragm first.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David Greenburg

There are a variety of ethanol treatments out there.  A lot of people like Sta-bil.  Lucas makes one as well.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

V63

the alcohol is added as an oxident to accelerate gasoline decomposition. I'm not a chemist...but I think once mixed...the launch sequence has been initiated.

I have tryed stabil and others (that used to work on pure gasoline) and deemed them a waste of effort and money with alcohol blends.